How Long?

mhalb

Apr 11, 2010
Iowa
How long do you think it will take to have Aus's jersey retired. I hope it's not going to be years from now. I think she deserves it retired sometime in the upcoming season?

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis
It's not going to be next year. That is way to soon. Fred had to wait a number of years before his was retired.

It'll happen, but will it happen before she returns home?

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
ISU WBB takes forever to retire jerseys. Welle had hers retired this past season and her last season was 2002. Megan Taylor had hers retired in the 05-06 season and her last season was 2001. Jayme Olsen had hers retired in 2004 and her last season was 1998.

Don't expect it any earlier than 2014.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
What happens when we get another player from Australia or even Austria? Do they get called Aus too?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
ISU WBB takes forever to retire jerseys. Welle had hers retired this past season and her last season was 2002. Megan Taylor had hers retired in the 05-06 season and her last season was 2001. Jayme Olsen had hers retired in 2004 and her last season was 1998.

Don't expect it any earlier than 2014.

I think it is healthy to wait and look at a player's accomplishments from a historical context rather than it being a heat of the moment type of thing. I would rather there are too few jerseys hanging up there than too many. You don't want to dilute the honor for the truly deserving.

There is a reason that there is a mandatory waiting period to get into the MLB Hall of Fame.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I think it is healthy to wait and look at a player's accomplishments from a historical context rather than it being a heat of the moment type of thing. I would rather there are too few jerseys hanging up there than too many. You don't want to dilute the honor for the truly deserving.

There is a reason that there is a mandatory waiting period to get into the MLB Hall of Fame.

Exactly. The ISU Hall of Fame even has a 10-year waiting period. Troy Davis was a first-ballot inductee...in 2007.

hobbes

Feb 20, 2010
Chicago
Stacy Frese wore #4 in 1996-2000. She should've had hers retired a long time ago. Can they retire two number 4's?

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
I'd expect any players that played with her to be done before her number is retired. It's better that way anyway, because then you have enough time to put their accomplishments into some perspective.

hobbes

Feb 20, 2010
Chicago
I recall Hornacek's 14 retired in 1991 and Waldo Wegner's 14 the next year? Would they do the same with Aus and Stacy? Or would they have one ceremony for both?

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
They do not retire numbers. They retire jerseys. Numbers can still be reused even after the jersey is retired. Tonya Burns was #42, and that number is now worn by Zimmerman.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
I think we may start to get a little carried away with retiring jerseys. I mean we are almost to the point where we say: In the last 4 years who was our best player? Okay, retire their jersey. I would say wait and see if they are still viewed as great in 5-10 years. Some players can be REALLY good and not have to be retired because they weren't that RARE exceptional talent that you don't get again...AKA the Mayor.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I think we may start to get a little carried away with retiring jerseys.

How so? There's nothing wrong with retiring a jersey so long as you don't say the number is retired. There will always be an effort to avoid reusing those numbers, though.

In basketball, there are 32 legal jersey numbers (only 31 are available at one time, however, since you can't have 0 and 00 simultaneously).

MBB (over 100 years) has 7 retired jerseys (5 if you don't count the duplicates). None of the corresponding numbers have been used in at least 15 years.

WBB (almost 40 years) has 4 retired jerseys. 1 of those numbers (42) is still being used regularly.

FB (over 115 years) officially has 1 retired number, but realistically has 2.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
I think we may start to get a little carried away with retiring jerseys. I mean we are almost to the point where we say: In the last 4 years who was our best player? Okay, retire their jersey. I would say wait and see if they are still viewed as great in 5-10 years. Some players can be REALLY good and not have to be retired because they weren't that RARE exceptional talent that you don't get again...AKA the Mayor.

+1
I don't think a lot of people forget Megan Taylor or Angie Welle. They were the "face" of the program and people can still identify ISU WBB with them. And it takes time because we can see how difficult it is to replace them. Take Welle for example: imho, she's irreplaceable.
I think over time we'll be able to truly assess Aus' significance to the program. She's an extraordinary player but how extraordinary she is: we won't know until later. Lindsey Medders (Fennelly - now) was an excellent PG but Aus arrived and we see what happened. Not to take anything away from Lindsey but that's what happened.

One thing I'm pretty certain though: we'll see the 2009 Elite Eight Team honored in 2014 ?

mhalb

Apr 11, 2010
Iowa
What happens when we get another player from Australia or even Austria? Do they get called Aus too?

Nah, I don't think so. If I recall, I think Alison got the nickname 'Aus' from high school, and it just carried over. Did you know that her parents calls her Alli.

Oh and for the 2009 elite 8 team being recognized, I think they should do the 2009 team and the 2010 team. Just because these last 2 seasons have been amazing. Back-to-back sweet 16. I know the 2009 team went one step farther, but this year we got unlucky and had UCONN in our region. If it wasn't for them we would of went a lot further because every other team in our region was our level of play or worst. I think the 2, 3, 4, or 5 spots were all about the same playing level. A

hobbes

Feb 20, 2010
Chicago
I think Lauren Mansfield's nickname is Loz. Saw it in a blog she wrote when she was at the World Uni games in Serbia in 2009.

Basketball Australia : World Uni Games Women's blog: Lakunoc from Belgrade!

The Women's World Uni Games team have just won their first game at the event, Chantella Perera and Lauren Mansfield blog about the team coming together in the lead up.
Zdravo everyone back home!
We arrived in Belgrade, Serbia one week ago after a very long plane trip (total of 35 hours). After splitting into our rooms, we fought over who gets the first shower!
The very same day we went straight into our first training session. It was great to finally get out on the court together as a team despite most of us only having slept a few hours since we left Australia. Over the next few days we had two sessions a day to try and prepare ourselves best for the upcoming tournament. We finished our training camp with a practice game against Great Britain and USA. We had a strong hit out against Great Britain but fell a bit short against USA. It was all great preparation and learning curve for us to gel together.
In between all of our basketball sessions, we have managed to rack up a few stories of our journey around the University Village. Whilst sitting at a café inside the village, we watched many new teams enter the village, one of which was the Switzerland team. Dressed in their red t-shirts with a white cross on their sleeve, they passed by us much to the confusion of Reggie (Alyce). She proceeded to ask us “Do the medical people come from all different countries?!” After containing our laughter, we kindly informed Reggie that they weren’t the medical people, and were actually just the uniform of the Swiss team.
Despite the AUS predictions of temperatures around 35 degrees, the weather in Belgrade has been wet, windy, overcast and muggy. Most of us came prepared for the anticipated hot weather and have been walking around in our thongs, however one day on our trek to Dining Hall (a good 1km walk) Emma started walking across the muddy median strip got caught up and started sinking in the mud! She lost her thong and ended up covered in mud top to bottom!
With over 10 000 athletes and officials here, we all have to carry around an accreditation pass to enter the Village. Lou took a trip to the mall accidentally leaving her accreditation behind, forcing her to bribe the security guard at the entrance. She ended up having to give up a koala bear key ring in order to be allowed back into the village.
We’ve started the tournament off with a big win against Japan, despite having three rolled ankles. We’re excited to take on Slovakia tomorrow, and hope to come away with another win.
That’s all for now. Dovidjenja! (Goodbye)
Loz and Channy

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Loz works for me. Better than us forcing Aus2.0 onto her

fccy

Dec 31, 2008
Forest City
Nah, I don't think so. If I recall, I think Alison got the nickname 'Aus' from high school, and it just carried over. Did you know that her parents calls her Alli.

Oh and for the 2009 elite 8 team being recognized, I think they should do the 2009 team and the 2010 team. Just because these last 2 seasons have been amazing. Back-to-back sweet 16. I know the 2009 team went one step farther, but this year we got unlucky and had UCONN in our region. If it wasn't for them we would of went a lot further because every other team in our region was our level of play or worst. I think the 2, 3, 4, or 5 spots were all about the same playing level. A

Don't like that idea. 2014 makes sense for the 2009 team (5 years, a round number), but not for the 2010 team (4 years, not a round number). Honor the 2010 team in 2015 (5 years, a round number).:smile:

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
I prefer to recognize them differently. The 2009 team was a senior-laden team while 2010 team had only 2 senior starters. Both teams exceeded expectations but I think each team is unique and theefore, it'll be appropriate to recognize them separately.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron