NFL: Bigger bust NFL

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
I just can't buy this "because he was drafted #1, makes him the bigger bust," argument.

The obvious answer is Ryan Leaf. And it is because of Peyton Manning. The reason I say that is because Peyton Manning is a Super Bowl winning quarterback, and right now, has arguments for him for being one of the greatest quarterbacks of all-time.

If you take Leaf over Manning, that is a bigger swing and a miss and strikeout than JaMarcus Russell.

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
Leaf is the bigger bust because of the hype surrounding him when he came out.

When Russell was drafted there were many people who questioned his work ethic and ability to lead but Al Davis got obsessed with his cannon arm and took him anyway. Leaf was rated by a lot of people to have higher upside than Manning (largely due to Manning never winning the "big one") and was seen as "can't miss".

As RING4CY just said, if you take Leaf over Manning in that draft you have a much bigger swing and miss than when someone took Russell.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
The obvious answer is Ryan Leaf. And it is because of Peyton Manning. The reason I say that is because Peyton Manning is a Super Bowl winning quarterback, and right now, has arguments for him for being one of the greatest quarterbacks of all-time.

If you take Leaf over Manning, that is a bigger swing and a miss and strikeout than JaMarcus Russell.

I could agree. Now make the arguement that Manderich was not a bigger bust then Leif since Barry Sanders was drafted after him and he was one of the biggest busts.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Russell.

"This guy sucks!"

happygilmorebarkerfight11.jpg

Last edited:

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Its not bust its upside deficient.

Jun 14, 2010

Manning went #1, Leaf #2. Manning's greatness has very little impact on Leaf.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Leaf. Russel has helped introduce the world to Purple Drank which is much more important then anything Leaf has ever done.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I'm going to say Leaf, although that's partly to do with the success of Manning. If Tim Couch had went first and Leaf second then I might view it differently, but Leaf/Manning was a legitimate debate going into that draft. Russell was never a unanimous top pick as he had plenty of critics questioning his accuracy and work ethic before the draft.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Manning went #1, Leaf #2. Manning's greatness has very little impact on Leaf.
And if Leaf goes #1 to the Colts, Manning goes #2 to the Chargers, and the Manning breaks records & wins a Super Bowl with the Chargers?

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
I'm going to say Leaf, although that's partly to do with the success of Manning. If Tim Couch had went first and Leaf second then I might view it differently, but Leaf/Manning was a legitimate debate going into that draft. Russell was never a unanimous top pick as he had plenty of critics questioning his accuracy and work ethic before the draft.
Bingo...

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Leaf by a long shot. Lots of people thought Russell was suspect before the draft.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Leaf no question. Al Davis loved the arm to throw go routes and thats why he went number 1 thats it. All the more reason he took DHB over Crabtree....only cuz the 40 time was faster and he wanted that big arm to throw to someone really fast that cant catch

ksclone

Jun 3, 2010
I go with Leaf as the bigger bust in this discussion. That written, watching the draft with my in-law this year when the Raiders were on the clock, this came out of my mouth:
"And now, we find out who the bust of the first round will be."
Sorry to Rolando McClain, but the Raiders recent history doesn't bode well.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Tony Mandarich, As the 1989 draft approached, Mandarich was the highest-rated player on the board. Higher than Troy Aikman. Higher than Barry Sanders. Higher than Deion Sanders and Derrick Thomas. It was on. He had serious clout. Mandarich could call his own shot. Everyone had bought in.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

Exactly, Russell was riding the momentum of a good bowl game and his physical tools made him the top QB in that draft. Basically he was drafted for what he could develop into, Leaf was thought of as a can't miss prospect.