Long Could Return to Wrestling Team

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
If this guy weren't a really good wrestler everyone would agree he should be locked up in treatment or prison ... instead we give him a 10th chance. I'm sure he'll change - jeez, we're like the girlfriend trying to mold our badboy boyfriend into marrying material.

I don't see it happening.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Just because your girlfriend couldn't mold you, doesn't mean other people aren't moldable. (is that even a word?)

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
If this guy weren't a really good wrestler everyone would agree he should be locked up in treatment or prison ... instead we give him a 10th chance. I'm sure he'll change - jeez, we're like the girlfriend trying to mold our badboy boyfriend into marrying material.

I don't see it happening.

Did you feel the same way with Berryman?

I might be biased but I think that if he can prove to the staff for an entire year that he is willing to work on his lifestyle that he should be given another chance.

I'm glad they "booted" him from the team for now. ISU doesnt need any more negative pub from him.

It just seems to me that if he can straighten up for an entire year then he is on the road to recovery and deserves another chance.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
Did you feel the same way with Berryman?

I might be biased but I think that if he can prove to the staff for an entire year that he is willing to work on his lifestyle that he should be given another chance.

I'm glad they "booted" him from the team for now. ISU doesnt need any more negative pub from him.

It just seems to me that if he can straighten up for an entire year then he is on the road to recovery and deserves another chance.

I guess its good to give him a goal. that said, nothing he's done to this point gives us any evidence that he's going to change.

some psych major on here can clarify but I think there was a study done that people will act in a situation like they've acted in similar situations in the past at a far greater frequency than how they say they will act when questioned about it.

basically we like to think we'll take the high road, but we tend to do whatever we did before.

Long is fighting a lot of issues, and changing all of them at once is going to be an uneNviable task - that said I wish him all the best. But I'm not putting any money on it.

Last edited:

MoreCowbell

Apr 23, 2009
I guess its good to give him a goal. that said, nothing he's done to this point gives us any evidence that he's going to change.

some psych major on here can clarify but I think there was a study done that people will act in a situation like they've acted in similar situations in the past at a far greater frequency than how they say they will act when questioned about it.

basically we like to think we'll take the high road, but we tend to do whatever we did before.

Long is fighting a lot of issues, and changing all of them at once is going to be an uneviable task - that said I wish him all the best. But I'm not putting any money on it.
This is probably your most well-thought-out, coherent post on this board. Congrats.

but... uneviable? Huh??

(BTW, I agree.)

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
this is why i try to keep my mouth closed on what athletes at other schools are doing wrong. someday it is going to happen to one of ours and i am going to hope for the best and that they can stay on the team.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
this is why i try to keep my mouth closed on what athletes at other schools are doing wrong. someday it is going to happen to one of ours and i am going to hope for the best and that they can stay on the team.

Amen. It always cycles back. No matter how many good student/athletes we have representing us, the FEW that are being knuckleheads are always going to make their headlines.

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA

Long is fighting a lot of issues, and changing all of them at once is going to be an uneviable task - that said I wish him all the best. But I'm not putting any money on it.

Agreed- More than likely if he was going to learn his lesson it would have occured the time he got fricken tazed by the popo but I trust KJ and the staff and hope that Dylan (his brother) can beat the crap out of him in the room and make him realize that he has too much talent to waste.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Agreed- More than likely if he was going to learn his lesson it would have occured the time he got fricken tazed by the popo but I trust KJ and the staff and hope that Dylan (his brother) can beat the crap out of him in the room and make him realize that he has too much talent to waste.
I hope he doesn't see the room. He needs to learn some responsibility and a good lesson in wise decision making. The room doesn't help that. You can't babysit a 21 year old, or at least you shouldn't have to. He needs to get his life figured out before he worries about wrestling.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I hope he doesn't see the room. He needs to learn some responsibility and a good lesson in wise decision making. The room doesn't help that. You can't babysit a 21 year old, or at least you shouldn't have to. He needs to get his life figured out before he worries about wrestling.

I disagree. Unless it was the other guys in the room that were enabling the problem being able to focus 100% on studying and wrestling is probably the best course of action. Cutting him off completely would probably just make it worse. If he is committed to turning his life around then he needs to cut out what was causing the issue, not the things that give him a reason to succeed.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I disagree. Unless it was the other guys in the room that were enabling the problem being able to focus 100% on studying and wrestling is probably the best course of action. Cutting him off completely would probably just make it worse. If he is committed to turning his life around then he needs to cut out what was causing the issue, not the things that give him a reason to succeed.
His life needs to be in order before he even THINKS about wrestling. He lives with a wrestler, they've both been arrested for alcohol offenses this year. What do that tell you?

You take everything away from him and make him realize how good he has it and is screwing up. There is absolutely no reason you should have to keep him in the wrestling room to make sure he isn't doing something stupid. He's 21 years old. Maybe he should start taking accountability for his actions. He's had friends trying to pound this through his skull for a long time, hopefully the light comes on sooner rather than later. By giving him the wrestling room, you're not teaching him anything about responsibility. You're just trying to distract his attention.

MoreCowbell

Apr 23, 2009
His life needs to be in order before he even THINKS about wrestling. He lives with a wrestler, they've both been arrested for alcohol offenses this year. What do that tell you?

You take everything away from him and make him realize how good he has it and is screwing up. There is absolutely no reason you should have to keep him in the wrestling room to make sure he isn't doing something stupid. He's 21 years old. Maybe he should start taking accountability for his actions. He's had friends trying to pound this through his skull for a long time, hopefully the light comes on sooner rather than later. By giving him the wrestling room, you're not teaching him anything about responsibility. You're just trying to distract his attention.
I agree. While some people would respond to "making them work it out in the room" I don't think that's the approach for Long. Take Everything away. Wrestling, Booze, Social life. Everything.

I don't think he should be back on the team. Not even in a year if he "figures things out." It's a message that needs to be sent to Long and the rest of the team about respect and who's in charge.

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
It's about learning... about getting better... is that not the goal? Why not hang a reward out there in the hope he gets to realize it. What's the worst that can happen.. he learns, gets better, and the wrestles for ISU. Wow.. sure wouldn't want that :jimlad:

I think it's wise to think more about the bigger picture of this individuals life and what the true goal should be here. Its early in Longs' life and he made mistakes. By making a harsh decision it may end up sending Long even further down the wrong path. By setting the reward out there with very specific achievements to realize the reward Jackson basically can keep a watchful eye over Long for another 3 years... maybe making a difference of turning a young mans' life around, maybe some future relationship with a girl, and maybe some impact on Long's future children. Forget ISU wrestling for a second, this is about Jackson using his position and Long's desire to wrestle as a method of helping Long improve his life.

He's a kid... I'm going to keep this in perspective. It's not like wrestlers are making millions or having a chance in the future to make millions. These guys love their sport with little fan support in perspective to FB and BB. Why not use Long's passion to help him out in life.

Last edited:

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
It's about learning... about getting better... is that not the goal? Why not hang a reward out there in the hope he gets to realize it. What's the worst that can happen.. he learns, gets better, and the wrestles for ISU. Wow.. sure wouldn't want that :jimlad:

Some people need to think more about the bigger picture of this individuals life and what the true goal should be here. Its early in Longs' life and he made mistakes. By making a harsh decision it may end up sending Long even further down the wrong path. By setting the reward out there with very specific achievements to realize the reward Jackson basically can keep a watchful eye over Long for another 3 years... maybe making a difference of turning a young mans' life around, maybe some future relationship with a girl, and maybe some impact on Long's future children. Forget ISU wrestling for a second, this is about Jackson using his position and Long's desire to wrestle as a method of helping Long improve his life.

He's a kid... let's keep this in perspective. It's not like wrestlers are making millions or having a chance in the future to make millions. These guys love their sport with little fan support in perspective to FB and BB. Why not use Long's passion to help him out in life.
It obviously hasn't helped him thus far. He already has a girlfriend (or did last time we chat). Wrestling should be nowhere near anything right now. Once he gets his life figured out, you reintroduce wrestling, otherwise you're just trying to distract him from the problem and doing him a disservice. He isn't always going to have wrestling, at some point, he has to grow up. There's NO reason Jackson should have to babysit him. I'm 21 and don't need someone babysitting me to save me from my own stupidity, neither should he. He's been given more chances than he should've been already. Now he can earn his way back.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
In my opinion, he wont succeed in changing. Its going to take more than a year for him to get his act together. As much as I'd like to see the guy back on the mat, I'm willing to put money he'll recieve another alcohol offense this fall.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron