Jake Sullivan working damage control

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
This went out this afternoon.

[FONT=&quot]Parents,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I wanted to address a quick situation with all of you that has taken place over the past couple of days’. Rumors will start to spread and I might as well address it now. A handful of our 15U boys’ have decided to leave the program and have been recruited to go and play on another team by Mike Nixon. It is unfortunate to have the following guys leave the program: Peter Jok, Peter Nixon, Luke Jorgensen, Nate Munn, and Payton Plagge. We ask that if you or anyone else is choosing to leave to please notify us immediately.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I began to hear rumors of this happening throughout the past couple of weeks and I was able to witness some disheartening actions during games from some disgruntled parents. Of course we are disappointed because I feel as though we have spent a ton of energy in helping these boys’ reach their potential on the basketball court and more importantly were excited to watch their development over the upcoming years.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In doing this for the past six years we have always built this program on kids that want to be here, that want to be challenged beyond their limits, and want to maximize their potential. We will continue to do this and we will continue to stay focused on the boys’ that we have.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]One negative comment that I have heard from the parents that were leaving was that I would not spend enough time engaging them in conversation. I take my job very seriously and you guys pay me a lot of money to develop your son on the basketball court as well as to prepare them to play at the next level.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This process is about the boys’ and maximizing their potential. I avoid long conversations and relationships with parents because I never want emotional ties with families to factor into my coaching and development of players.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Also, assuming your son goes on to play college basketball the relationships while they are playing are built with the assistant coaches and the head coach comes in each day and challenges everyone beyond their limits and then leaves. It can be a very hard adjustment for young boys’ when entering college and I want them to be prepared when they get there.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]To shed some light on the Harrison Barnes situation last year the thing that ultimately caused him to leave is that I refused to return his text message one night after I chewed his butt pretty good in Arkansas. He texted me wanting to discuss why I chewed his butt after the game. To put all of this in context I loved Harrison as much as my own children and cared about him greatly and committed five years to him even when he was not “Harrison Barnesâ€, but I knew that for his development at the next level I could not respond. So, I purposely did not text him back because I understand what it will be like at North Carolina playing for a coach like Roy Williams.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]To give you a little insight on Coach Williams in 2001 we were preparing to play against Kansas at Hilton Coliseum and he had not won at Hilton in 3 years. He got so upset at his team during a walk through the day of the game that he literally passed out on the court. For Harrison’s sake it will not be a good idea to text Coach Williams after a loss and after he just got his butt chewed. Harrison did not understand it at the time but he will after he gets on campus. If how we do things causes a family or a player to leave I am comfortable enough in what we do and confident enough in the gifts God has given me that I will not change how we do things.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Everything we do is very calculated for the development of your son. The relationships really get built with the head coach after your son leaves the program. This is the reason I look around my office and Jordan Burgason, John Lamb, and Emily Guenther are all working for us this summer. I was harder on Jordan and John than any two players I have ever coached and they will tell you I have mellowed since we first started all of this. Yet they call me often during their college seasons, and they come back each summer wanting to work for us.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I am excited moving forward what is in store for our 15U boys. When one door closes another opens and new opportunities are presented. What has happened bothers me deeply as I think one individual in the group that is leaving is being forced to do so and he is being used by adults for their benefit, but that is neither here nor there. It is time for Kingdom Hoops to continue to move forward and I am confident that when the athletes that are choosing to stay look back on all of this they will remember the disappointment of a team splitting up but they will recognize God’s hand at work and how new doors of opportunity were opened.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Jake Sullivan[/FONT]

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
This went out this afternoon.

[FONT=&quot]Parents,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I wanted to address a quick situation with all of you that has taken place over the past couple of days’. Rumors will start to spread and I might as well address it now. A handful of our 15U boys’ have decided to leave the program and have been recruited to go and play on another team by Mike Nixon. It is unfortunate to have the following guys leave the program: Peter Jok, Peter Nixon, Luke Jorgensen, Nate Munn, and Payton Plagge. We ask that if you or anyone else is choosing to leave to please notify us immediately.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I began to hear rumors of this happening throughout the past couple of weeks and I was able to witness some disheartening actions during games from some disgruntled parents. Of course we are disappointed because I feel as though we have spent a ton of energy in helping these boys’ reach their potential on the basketball court and more importantly were excited to watch their development over the upcoming years.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In doing this for the past six years we have always built this program on kids that want to be here, that want to be challenged beyond their limits, and want to maximize their potential. We will continue to do this and we will continue to stay focused on the boys’ that we have.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]One negative comment that I have heard from the parents that were leaving was that I would not spend enough time engaging them in conversation. I take my job very seriously and you guys pay me a lot of money to develop your son on the basketball court as well as to prepare them to play at the next level.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This process is about the boys’ and maximizing their potential. I avoid long conversations and relationships with parents because I never want emotional ties with families to factor into my coaching and development of players.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Also, assuming your son goes on to play college basketball the relationships while they are playing are built with the assistant coaches and the head coach comes in each day and challenges everyone beyond their limits and then leaves. It can be a very hard adjustment for young boys’ when entering college and I want them to be prepared when they get there.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]To shed some light on the Harrison Barnes situation last year the thing that ultimately caused him to leave is that I refused to return his text message one night after I chewed his butt pretty good in Arkansas. He texted me wanting to discuss why I chewed his butt after the game. To put all of this in context I loved Harrison as much as my own children and cared about him greatly and committed five years to him even when he was not “Harrison Barnesâ€, but I knew that for his development at the next level I could not respond. So, I purposely did not text him back because I understand what it will be like at North Carolina playing for a coach like Roy Williams.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]To give you a little insight on Coach Williams in 2001 we were preparing to play against Kansas at Hilton Coliseum and he had not won at Hilton in 3 years. He got so upset at his team during a walk through the day of the game that he literally passed out on the court. For Harrison’s sake it will not be a good idea to text Coach Williams after a loss and after he just got his butt chewed. Harrison did not understand it at the time but he will after he gets on campus. If how we do things causes a family or a player to leave I am comfortable enough in what we do and confident enough in the gifts God has given me that I will not change how we do things.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Everything we do is very calculated for the development of your son. The relationships really get built with the head coach after your son leaves the program. This is the reason I look around my office and Jordan Burgason, John Lamb, and Emily Guenther are all working for us this summer. I was harder on Jordan and John than any two players I have ever coached and they will tell you I have mellowed since we first started all of this. Yet they call me often during their college seasons, and they come back each summer wanting to work for us.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I am excited moving forward what is in store for our 15U boys. When one door closes another opens and new opportunities are presented. What has happened bothers me deeply as I think one individual in the group that is leaving is being forced to do so and he is being used by adults for their benefit, but that is neither here nor there. It is time for Kingdom Hoops to continue to move forward and I am confident that when the athletes that are choosing to stay look back on all of this they will remember the disappointment of a team splitting up but they will recognize God’s hand at work and how new doors of opportunity were opened.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thanks,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Jake Sullivan[/FONT]
Yeah, Jake, basically what you're saying is you are a giant jerk, can't control your anger, and refuse to be civil to your players. We get it.

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
Any high school coaches on here??

I have talked to a few and not one of them has a nice thing to say about Jake Sullivan.

Reactions: cyfanatic

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Harrison left because he didn't get a reply to a text? That doesn't sound like the whole story there

zimman18

Apr 7, 2006
www.drinkingrisk.com
I respect the letter. It is my opinion that we are all so use to getting fluff and BS positivity, that we may fail to develop fully (as athletes or individuals). Criticism and conflict help us grow. It may hurt feelings, or **** off parents, but ultimately, it can make us better people.

Also, this letter should belong to the kids and the parents... Not sure about posting it on a message board... but it was a hell of a read.

Reactions: isugcs and dinger

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
I think this thread will be epic.

I think JP should adrress the problem of players transferring in AAU programs in an open letter to cyclone fans.

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
I respect the letter. It is my opinion that we are all so use to getting fluff and BS positivity, that we may fail to develop fully (as athletes or individuals). Criticism and conflict help us grow. It may hurt feelings, or **** off parents, but ultimately, it can make us better people.

Also, this letter should belong to the kids and the parents... Not sure about posting it on a message board... but it was a hell of a read.

I respected the letter as well, but, on the flip side, once you write something down and send it out like this, it can really get out and then it is open for many interpretations.

eastman

Jun 25, 2009
Tampa
Nothing against him, but I know a lot of his players, and the words that usually come to mind are, "uses kids for personal gain".
i think he can do that i mean i dont think harrison would be were he is today without jake and same with most of those kids...he may have problems but if you want your kid or if you wanna be good as a kid...jake is the man to go to...just sayin

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Wow, for owning a business, he doesn't' write a letter like it. Keep Harrison's name out of it Jake, be the bigger person. Sounds like he's begrudgeful.

Spam

May 21, 2008
At least Harrison didn't skype Jake asking about the butt chewing.

But seriously, what's with Harrison? Skype and text-messaging?