Speaking of series finales

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
First off, I thought Lost pulled off an amazing finale but it got me thinking about the disappointment of some of the other series finales that I've witnessed.

The worst that comes to mind is Seinfeld. Loved that show but the finale kinda left me in a WTF moment.

je4cy23

Jul 11, 2009
Des Moines
The Sopranos is the first to come to mind. At first I hated it. Then as I thought more an more about it I grew to like it. I think it was St Elsewhere where the finale had the entire series was just the thoughts of a mentally handicapped boy. Talk about a WTF ending.
The best finale was the 80s Bob Newhart show where he woke up in bed with his 70s Bob Newhart show wife and the whole 80s show was a dream. Very clever.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
The Sopranos is the first to come to mind. At first I hated it. Then as I thought more an more about it I grew to like it. I think it was St Elsewhere where the finale had the entire series was just the thoughts of a mentally handicapped boy. Talk about a WTF ending.
The best finale was the 80s Bob Newhart show where he woke up in bed with his 70s Bob Newhart show wife and the whole 80s show was a dream. Very clever.

I watched about 45 min of Lost last night. Had watched maybe 20 min. total of the show before then. Even so, I thought the ending was great.

Yes, it was St. Elsewhere. In the very last episode, the autistic son of the main doctor, chief of staff I think, was shaking one of those snowglobes and the hospital was inside the globe. The son had "imagined" it all. It was amazing.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Sopranos made me so mad, I was screaming at the TV. I waited a week and went back and watched it again. That was a masterpiece. It was the best ending in TV history.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Sopranos made me so mad, I was screaming at the TV. I waited a week and went back and watched it again. That was a masterpiece. It was the best ending in TV history.

Agreed. First, I'm really hoping that 24's producers don't **** up what's largely been a decent (although predictable) season and end the series on a sour note with a crappy finale, and second, I'm almost hoping Jack Bauer dies tonight. That guy's put up with so much crap over the last decade it's time to put him out of his misery.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The one I really hated was NIP/TUCK. That one was not my favorite ending.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Sopranos was actually really good, it was shocking at first, but it wasn't as bad as Seinfeld.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

Yes, I really liked the Sopranos finale, though it really angered the people who needed every little detail of the show explained to them (I never understood how any of those people could like a show like the Sopranos anyways which rarely wrapped things up neatly). Some people didn't like the Battlestar Galactica finale but I thought it was pretty dang good.

The original poster was right, Seinfeld was disappointing, but it was always a lighthearted comedy anyways.

Lost really did hit a homerun last night.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
They've discussed it, I dunno. I was convinced early on in the season the whole purpose of bringing on Freddie Prinze, Jr was to replace the Jack Bauer character.

Never really thought of that. Very good point!

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Cheers was a pretty good one.

The thing I didn't like about Cheers and the way it ended was bringing back Diane! Yuck! She provided a lot of comedy while she was a member of the show...but they should have left her out of the finale or at least not made her such an important part of the ending!

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I completely agree with this! No one was thinking "this" is how the show would end! Bob Newhart is a a comedic genius!

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Yes, I really liked the Sopranos finale, though it really angered the people who needed every little detail of the show explained to them (I never understood how any of those people could like a show like the Sopranos anyways which rarely wrapped things up neatly). Some people didn't like the Battlestar Galactica finale but I thought it was pretty dang good.

The original poster was right, Seinfeld was disappointing, but it was always a lighthearted comedy anyways.

Lost really did hit a homerun last night.

I haven't seen Lost's finale yet... my wife and I are way behind on TV, we've been extremely busy all spring. But I will say that I didn't like the Sopranos ending... why is an ending where 10 million people thought their cable went out good?

As far as BSG, I watched the whole series in the last year for the first time and I wish I had never seen season 4.5. IMO what they did to those characters absolutely ****** me off.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
X-files ended poorly for me. I am a huge fan, but honestly when Duchovny left the show was pretty much done anyway.

One of the most satisfying was Everybody Loves Raymond. It ended as just another episode. Every family story had been tied up so they went out on a high note.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I completely agree with this! No one was thinking "this" is how the show would end! Bob Newhart is a a comedic genius!

Agreed. Best series finale ever. Was not a fan of either show and even I understood what happened in that finale. Not only was it well played, but it was done at the level that everyone got the joke.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
X-files ended poorly for me. I am a huge fan, but honestly when Duchovny left the show was pretty much done anyway.

Which is why them doing movies now is pretty satisfying, as it's just Mulder and Scully. My biggest problem with the X-Files finale was Mulder hadn't been on it for 2-3 seasons, and they tried to tie up all his storylines in one episode, and they did it by saying all factions were in league with each other. It was truly a cop-out. Still deciding whether I want to expand my X-Files collection beyond season 6.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Which is why them doing movies now is pretty satisfying, as it's just Mulder and Scully. My biggest problem with the X-Files finale was Mulder hadn't been on it for 2-3 seasons, and they tried to tie up all his storylines in one episode, and they did it by saying all factions were in league with each other. It was truly a cop-out. Still deciding whether I want to expand my X-Files collection beyond season 6.

I dont hate the non-mulder ones, but he is honestly why I watched the show. Funny character. One of the best ever for tv. I have been buying them up. I just need a couple more of the seasons. Ticks me off though, now they are super cheap and they also sell them in the thin packs now.