LA Vikings???

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I'm still of the opinion that the Jaguars beat them there, and that LA will never see two NFL teams ever again (how can you justify it when that city LOST two teams in one year?)...

jtd9046

Dec 20, 2006
Chicago
Interesting that the bill is pretty much taxing the tourism into the state. Not exactly a great way to bring in visitors.

EDIT:

The plan, which had drawn praise but also quick criticism from Gov. Tim Pawlenty and DFL House Speaker Margaret Anderson Kelliher, underwent a significant metamorphosis at the House committee hearing Tuesday night, as supporters removed taxes on hotel rooms, rental cars...

Last edited:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Your fan base had better get in gear and support a stadium being built up there then.

If you actually read into this with any depth, it sounds exactly like what the Twins went through - several attempts, several revisions, but the deal got done.

The Vikings are eventually going to be playing in a new stadium somewhere in the vicinity of the Twin Cities...

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Deals are never done until a deadline is closer....just the way things are.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
After seeing Target field and how it's revitalized the warehouse district, everyone I talk to wants this to happen and I think it will. They'll level the Dome and build a nice new stadium where it once stood. Shops, restaurants and other businesses will spring up to meet demand and that will be the end of this debate.

As far as St. Paul wanting a piece of this action, it isn't going to happen. To appease them, the state will help with a minor league ballpark and a hockey rink/entertainment complex. That will pacify them.

The Vikes aren't going anywhere.

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis
If this meant that the Bills stayed in Buffalo then I'd be all for it. They'd probably dodge this bullet, Ralph Wilson would die and his family would move them to Toronto. That will **** me off.

shildreth

Mar 28, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Interesting that the bill is pretty much taxing the tourism into the state. Not exactly a great way to bring in visitors.

EDIT:

A lot of states do this. DOnt get the taxes approved if you charge te locals but they do get approved by residents if you tax the "visitors."

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
A lot of states do this. DOnt get the taxes approved if you charge te locals but they do get approved by residents if you tax the "visitors."

Ames folks had a chance to do the same thing back in the mid-to-late 90s when it involved improvements/renovations for Hilton. The proposal was to add 1 or 2 percent to the hotel/motel tax.

The locals saw "tax", freaked out, and voted it down. Never mind the fact that they wouldn't actually have been the ones paying the tax, unless they chose to stay in hotels instead of their own homes. Idiots.

G4Clones

Jul 14, 2008
The Vikings have the most fair weather fan base I have ever seen. When they are in the Playoffs everyone puts the flags on the cars. But pay for a Stadium? No way.

Says the Bears fan who probably had all of his bears' flags, shirts, etc... stashed away in the attic through the 1990s when the Bears were an absolute joke....then to miraculously appear in the 2000s when the team gets lucky and goes to one Super Bowl...Before that super bowl, I didn't know that there were any Bears fans that existed outside of the city of Chicago...but then after that year, they come out of hiding and start talking a ton of ****...good grief...my point, this is like the frog calling the grass "green". Every fanbase has diehard types and fair-weather types.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
The Vikings have the most fair weather fan base I have ever seen. When they are in the Playoffs everyone puts the flags on the cars. But pay for a Stadium? No way.

A good share of those "fair weather" fans are also supporters of the Gophers and Twins who both opened state of the art stadiums in the past year. Show me another metro area that can make the same claim. I'm confident that the elected officials will find a way to keep the NFL in Minnesota.

There's a good chance that the Vikings would already be in a new stadium if the franchise hadn't had to suffer through McCombs doing everything that he could to run the franchise into the ground. It is in good hands now with Wilf and the league knows it. They have no intention of abandoning a top 20 market that has always had a strong following.

mr89ia

Mar 9, 2010
Madison,WI
dude this would probably cause me to stop cheering for them. i pay my money to go see them and to wear their clothes. if they really cant get their **** together up there, it will be hard to keep cheering for them

cycloneace55

Nov 22, 2006
Gardena, CA
As a Vikings fan living in Los Angeles, I for one DO NOT want to see them move out here. For as fickle as Minnesota fans are accussed of it can not be nearly as bad as LA fans. I just hope that people come to theri senses and figure out a way to put the Vikings into a new stadium. The characterless dump called the Metrodome is one of the least memorable stadiums I have ever been to. I think that a stadium with character is becomeing an integral part of professional sports franchises these days.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
dude this would probably cause me to stop cheering for them. i pay my money to go see them and to wear their clothes. if they really cant get their **** together up there, it will be hard to keep cheering for them

Isn't that a given for the vast majority of the fans? Most of us cheer for teams due to location (not because we are big fans of purple uniforms).

The NFL does not want the Vikings to move but if they do, I'm done with the NFL. Period.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron