TJ Otzelberger = Wayne Morgan?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I hope not. Bring in new blood, even if it means losing a few commits.

San Francisco Cy

Jun 12, 2008
San Francisco
Do you think TJ will get a shot? If it happens, it's got to be the first offer....

Morgan already had D1 head coaching experience, although he was fired from there much in the same way as he was from here. I don't see TJ becoming head coach. It would be nice if he could be retained by the new head coach, but I really don't see that happening either...

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
No. TJ wasn't even promoted to associate head coach with an opening this year. He's never been a head coach (Wayne had). Its not the same situation.

What would be more likely is that Nurse gets the job and keeps Otz, although I still don't see that happening.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I think we should absolutely make the same mistakes as past years - settle on coaches. It would also be swell if we kept coaches from a losing staff, it's a great way to make sure the losing mentality continues to be entrenched in the program.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Nope. Make the right hire even if it means 12 walkons next year.

westcyedclone

Jan 22, 2010
Waukee
Do you think TJ will get a shot? If it happens, it's got to be the first offer....

Stop the nonsense, of course he won't. ISU has Nick Nurse on staff, Nick is a better fit than gmac. My all time favorite hire would be Billy Gillespie but I would take Nurse. We can't do any worse than gmac.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I don't want to go hire a slime like Billy G. Anyone that thinks he'd stay here if he had any success is crazy and we don't need a guy who'd bring some questionable ethics with him as well and leave us with a mess after he's bolted to a better job.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I don't want to go hire a slime like Billy G. Anyone that thinks he'd stay here if he had any success is crazy and we don't need a guy who'd bring some questionable ethics with him as well and leave us with a mess after he's bolted to a better job.

Wait...what? The guys that are not having success won't stay here. So if the constant is people don't stay here...I'd put this as my top criteria for a new coach...

1. Success

And A&M MBB isn't in a mess right now. Neither is Kentucky. Just sayin'...

westcyedclone

Jan 22, 2010
Waukee
Wait...what? The guys that are not having success won't stay here. So if the constant is people don't stay here...I'd put this as my top criteria for a new coach...

1. Success

And A&M MBB isn't in a mess right now. Neither is Kentucky. Just sayin'...

Yes, but you see some people on this board are convinced that if you are a successful MBB coach that you can not possibly be a good person.
I think they are right, we should do whatever we can to keep a man of gmac's integrity, I can live with 14-15 wins per year as long as the coach is a good ole Iowa boy. NOT! We need Billy G!

Reactions: CloneIce

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Yep, he's Morgan..... Without the head coaching experience, without the conference championship under his belt, and without a couple of decades of assistant coaching experience at one of the top basketball schools in the country.

Plus, the recruits he has coming in aren't as good.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
I think we should absolutely make the same mistakes as past years - settle on coaches. It would also be swell if we kept coaches from a losing staff, it's a great way to make sure the losing mentality continues to be entrenched in the program.
Sweet! No head coach for us! At this time of the season -- I doubt we can get any coach that won't be considered "settling" in some way. But then again -- JP may pull a miracle.

PsychedClone

Apr 11, 2006
Visit site
I don't expect Coach Otz to be named the next head coach, nor do I expect him to be retained by the new coach.

Maybe TJ Otzelberger = Wayne Morgan or just maybe TJ Otzelberger = Brad Stevens. He is a star on the rise. The only question now is where that star will rise. Only time will tell. Somewhere down the road, Clone fans may well regret the day they sent him packing.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
If we hire Joe Nobody, I hope we retain a couple of our coaches because we will need tor eatin somebody versus 12 walk-ons. We do not want to go 5-27 and be a laughing stock.

PsychedClone

Apr 11, 2006
Visit site
I don't understand he negativity from some of you regarding Coach Otz. Obviously JP and FH don't agree with you. Trust me, Coach Otz had plenty of other options available to him including going to Creighton, but he remained loyal to ISU. Maybe some of you should return the favor.

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
I don't understand he negativity from some of you regarding Coach Otz. Obviously JP and FH don't agree with you. Trust me, Coach Otz had plenty of other options available to him including going to Creighton, but he remained loyal to ISU. Maybe some of you should return the favor.

Woa psychedClone - you pulled up an old thread and a lot of the posters didn't want him to be the head coach and really said little about him being retained. With a good X's and O's guy like Fred at the helm we need a guy like TJ to bring in the new blood. And actually TJ is the most important guy we have on staff because he is the most connected guy and Fred understands this. That is why TJ is Associate Head Coach. Fred can close the recruits and coach em up but we have to get them here.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
I am wondering if TJ didn't try to do some things in the past four years and was shot down by GMAC. It sounds like he prefers to play more up tempo, and GMAC never wanted to do this. I believe making him the Associate Head Coach may just be the shot in the arm he needed.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron