Turkey Bacon

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

linkshero

May 22, 2008
Ames
How can humanity combine two of the greater things like Turkey, and Bacon, and come out with something that tastes so wrong? :no:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I used to work part time in the meat department and there is nothing more nasty than ground turkey. It's like turkey slime, I have not idea how anyone could ever make the claim a turkey burger or anything they use ground turkey instead of ground beef could possibly taste better.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Turkey bacon does not taste as good as pork. But it's so much better for you it's worth the lack of flavor.

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
I don't mind turkey burgers at all especially with the way we make them. Turkey bacon is a whole other thing though. I just prefer regular bacon and with a little effort I can find some that has a little less saturated fat. Just have to watch out for the sodium.

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
turkey_bacon.png

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
Deer bacon? That's a new one to me. Sounds pretty awesome, love to try it some time!

i get it at tiefenthalers locker in holstein iowa. they grind it up with some pork tallow and press it into strips that kinda look like turkey bacon. heavy on the pepper too. low grease, and it doesn't shrink up like normal bacon but the flavor is very good.

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
Nope, it all sucks. Turkey burger is somewhat acceptable if it is in something that covers the flavor of it (e.g. spaghetti sauce or sloppy joes)

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
Turkey bacon does not taste as good as pork. But it's so much better for you it's worth the lack of flavor.
I don't know about the bacon, but ground turkey is not any better for you than ground beef unless you upgrade to the breast meat only, at which point it loses any similarities to beef that it once had. Ground turkey often has more cholesterol than ground beef.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
I used to work part time in the meat department and there is nothing more nasty than ground turkey. It's like turkey slime, I have not idea how anyone could ever make the claim a turkey burger or anything they use ground turkey instead of ground beef could possibly taste better.

ground chicken is even more slimey, but i love it the best.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Ground Turkey I have no problem with at all. You just have to be careful when grilling it, due to the consistency. I put it on tin foil, otherwise it will fall through the slats. It's good with a Foreman or stove top though.

Never tried Turkey bacon, but I'm interested. I don't mind a small to moderate sacrifice in flavor for increased healthiness.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
I don't know about the bacon, but ground turkey is not any better for you than ground beef unless you upgrade to the breast meat only, at which point it loses any similarities to beef that it once had. Ground turkey often has more cholesterol than ground beef.

Turkey bacon may not be healthier than ground beef (truly don't know), but it's a heck of a lot better than pork bacon.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I grew up with turkey bacon as the only option (hereditary high cholesterol and high blood pressure, and dad had a heart attack when I was 9) so I don't know anything else but I hate pork bacon especially when it is all curled up and greasy, no idea why anyone would want to put that in their body.