$100 Bill

linkshero

May 22, 2008
Ames
It's not like I have them on me all the time, but needed to use one at Wal Mart yesterday. Apparently this is their process for taking a Benj..

Marker Test
Black Light Test
Sniff Test

if it passes those three, they stare at you, and then the bill for about 2 minutes. Then they press a button and a little Gnome comes out and rolls around on it.

If it makes it through those stages, they ask you what you are doing in a Wall Mart with a C note.

I was seriously starting to question which of my lame card playing buddies gave me the thing, and if it really was fake. I just wanted to spend it before the IRS came and drug it out of my pocket........

Reactions: vmbplayer

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
Try a $2 bill sometime. There's not a spot in the tray for that and that will really confuse 'em.

SpartClone

Oct 19, 2006
I tried paying for something with $1 coins, I thought the lady was going to attack me. She had no idea what they were, and asked me where I should put them.

I had an idea where she could put them, but that might have put her over the edge! :wideeyed:

vortex

Jan 30, 2010
A few years back I tried to use a 100 bill to pay for gas in Marshalltown. The clerk refused to accept the bill. I had no other cash or my check book. I had to run to Hy Vee to break the bill. By the time I got back to the Kwik Star the police were there. The clerk assumed I had skipped out on paying for the gas. The police officer told the clerk "hey he offered to pay the first time, you are just lucky he came back". He turned and walked out of the store. Some stores post signs saying they won't accept 100 bills, if it it legal tender I believe they have to accept it.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
A few years back I tried to use a 100 bill to pay for gas in Marshalltown. The clerk refused to accept the bill. I had no other cash or my check book. I had to run to Hy Vee to break the bill. By the time I got back to the Kwik Star the police were there. The clerk assumed I had skipped out on paying for the gas. The police officer told the clerk "hey he offered to pay the first time, you are just lucky he came back". He turned and walked out of the store. Some stores post signs saying they won't accept 100 bills, if it it legal tender I believe they have to accept it.
They have to accept it, but it doesn't mean they have to carry enough change to cover it.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
Some stores post signs saying they won't accept 100 bills, if it it legal tender I believe they have to accept it.

I'm not 100% sure about that. You can reserve the right to refuse service to any person for any reason. When I was in HS someone tried to pay like a $40 grocery bill at Hy-Vee in change and the manager just told them no.

Refuse service for any reason was what he said.

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
There are a few counterfeit $100's circulating in the area right now. Counterfeiters are bleaching $5's and making $100's out of them. Holding one up to the light and checking the watermark is a good idea.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
It's not like I have them on me all the time, but needed to use one at Wal Mart yesterday. Apparently this is their process for taking a Benj..

Marker Test
Black Light Test
Sniff Test

if it passes those three, they stare at you, and then the bill for about 2 minutes. Then they press a button and a little Gnome comes out and rolls around on it.

If it makes it through those stages, they ask you what you are doing in a Wall Mart with a C note.

I was seriously starting to question which of my lame card playing buddies gave me the thing, and if it really was fake. I just wanted to spend it before the IRS came and drug it out of my pocket........

Just tell them that this is the best counterfeit stuff you have made to date.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
There are a few counterfeit $100's circulating in the area right now. Counterfeiters are bleaching $5's and making $100's out of them. Holding one up to the light and checking the watermark is a good idea.

which would explain smelling it too.

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
I'm not 100% sure about that. You can reserve the right to refuse service to any person for any reason. When I was in HS someone tried to pay like a $40 grocery bill at Hy-Vee in change and the manager just told them no.

In that case, the decision to not serve the customer was before the transaction and the groceries could probably be restocked. I don't know what you can do about gas already in the tank.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

The way things are headed, we will have a lot of $100 bills in circulation.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

My wife said, when she was working at a bank, that it was the $10s that they were making counterfeit $100s out of. I think it's because the $10s have the ribbon running through them where the $5s don't.

I think it's odd that someone (other than the precursory counterfeit checking) would have to think twice about accepting cash. Then again, how often does anyone pay with $100s anymore? For a bill that big, most would pay with a debit/checking/credit card...

ddisu

Nov 11, 2009
Toledo
My wife said, when she was working at a bank, that it was the $10s that they were making counterfeit $100s out of. I think it's because the $10s have the ribbon running through them where the $5s don't.

I think it's odd that someone (other than the precursory counterfeit checking) would have to think twice about accepting cash. Then again, how often does anyone pay with $100s anymore? For a bill that big, most would pay with a debit/checking/credit card...

We own a business and have people pay in cash alot. My dad usually carries about $1500 all the time, mainly in $100 bills. Cashiers are always a little surprised when the bill is $800 and he pays cash for it. And no it is not an illegal business.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
When I worked at WalMart I usually saw $100s around the holidays. My thought was they took out the cash so that they didn't spend more than what they had.....

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008

Well, that pretty much shuts the door on that issue. If a Hy-Vee manager said it, it must be true.

tube1

Oct 19, 2006
I see a lot of $100 bills at WalMart. I'm sure quite a few people cash their paychecks for cash instead of using an account and thus have cash on them for their weekly gorcery run. I see more there than at Hyvee or Cub by far.

Agkistrodon

Feb 14, 2009
I worked in an auto parts store a few years back. Commonly on Sundays and Holidays, people would come into the store and try to purchase something that cost less than $5 like an air freshener or bottle of coke so that they could break a $100 bill. I sent these people packing every time because I wasn't going to empty out my drawer so that they could have change for $100. If they gave me any lip, I would just tell them that our store is not a bank, and if they really want whatever it is they're purchasing, that they should come back with a smaller bill.

Last edited:

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I see a lot of $100 bills at WalMart. I'm sure quite a few people cash their paychecks for cash instead of using an account and thus have cash on them for their weekly gorcery run. I see more there than at Hyvee or Cub by far.

You sound like you have a lot of jobs.