My resident insane squirrel strikes again

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
Previously it was very territorial when we moved in. Even went after our cat a few times when we tossed him out. Saw this squirrel running around with another squirrel in it's mouth. Cat finally decided to become territorial and has had that squirrel on the run this spring.

Yesterday I spread about 100 eggs in my yard for my 2 year old daughter and 6 year old niece. We discovered one that was chewed open and the candy was stolen. Found some foil, but the other pieces were gone. This morning, there is that squirrel in a tree eating some chocolate, dropping little pieces of foil during the meal.

I don't know if I should kill it or train it.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
We had a couple plastic eggs chewed through as well this weekend. Who knew squirrels liked candy?

linkshero

May 22, 2008
Ames
Previously it was very territorial when we moved in. Even went after our cat a few times when we tossed him out. Saw this squirrel running around with another squirrel in it's mouth. Cat finally decided to become territorial and has had that squirrel on the run this spring.

Yesterday I spread about 100 eggs in my yard for my 2 year old daughter and 6 year old niece. We discovered one that was chewed open and the candy was stolen. Found some foil, but the other pieces were gone. This morning, there is that squirrel in a tree eating some chocolate, dropping little pieces of foil during the meal.

The chocolate might do the trick for you (kill it). Especially if it is taking the foil off first.

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
My senior year of college we found a baby squirrel that had fallen out of its tree in our yard. We took it and raised it as a pet. It actually was a very good pet. For future reference, squirrels shouldn't eat candles.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008

892cap012.jpg

Reactions: CyPride

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I hate squirrels, the destroy everything they can get into. I've put poison peanuts out before where they dig and well they don't seem to dig in those spots anymore for some odd reason... :biggrin:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OjywRmcskM]YouTube - Cledus T Judd; Goodbye Squirrel[/ame]

Kitkat

Apr 10, 2009
They are persistent and pretty clever little buggers. If your chocolate had any nuts in it, that may be what attracted the squirrel. My cable guy says they have problems all the time because there is some substance in the cable wire insulation that squirrels seem to like. An online site said to put dried red peppers in the bird seed because it would deter the squirrels but the birds won't mind. I must have Latino squirrels because the pepper did not bother them. I put out corn in a special corn feeder and that way we have managed a truce. Good luck.

josh777

Apr 13, 2006
I love squirrels. So an animal digs a hole and you kill it? Not crying over it, but I've never understood why people do this.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I view squirrels as a rodent. I know some people have issues with killing them but you kill mice, rats, moles, insects, etc that destroy things right? I don't care if a squirrel is "cute" compared to a rat, they both can be disease carrying rodents. My nieghbor hates them too because they decided to start chewing on the arched trellace he made for his wedding and now is a decorcation on their property so now there is a big spot on it the was chewed up that he can't repair without tearing it apart and replacing a large piece of wood.

I have to put chicken wire around my garden to keep them and the rabits out because the squirrels love to dig in loose dirt which usually ends up in them killing some plants or digging up seeds. Again, just another reason why I consider them rodents and don't lose sleep if I happen to cause a few of them today because I intentially set out some poison for them. I have people ask what if the neighbors dog or cat got into it. My answer to that is I place the poison far enough into my property where even just walking them on the sidewalks they can't even come close to it if they strayed off a bit. So if their dog or cat is running loose (technically illegal in town per leash laws) then I can't be held responsible for their animal coming onto my property illegally and getting into something. I haven't set any poison out this year so far but if the rodents start bother plants or something you can bet I'll set some out where they need to stay out of which at the very least probably will make them sick and not want to dig there anymore.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Your cat runs free and the Squirrel isthe problem

Cats are a nuisance in my neighborhood. They attack wildlife in my yard, carry feline diseases, fight, get hit by cars and bury scat all over.

Squirrels are wild nuisances that eat bird eggs and the like but are natural. Cats, fat and pampered, are still efficient killers of birds even some cats that are declawed.

By the way what does your cat look like? Besides squirrels do not live very long.

Help Support Us

Become a patron