Above ground garden question

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
We are going to build an above ground garden and want to use some sort of brick/stone type as the border to keep the top soil. Probably 8 feet by 4 feet. Anyone know a good place that sells a lot of these pavers in the Des Moines area?

Thanks in advance.

cdekovic

Mar 25, 2006
Ames
Hey MJ! Go to Lowe's or Home Depot for brick edging. You're not going to get much out of a 4 x 8 garden. I tomato plant will take up 1/2 the garden.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Is there such thing as an underground garden?

Its as opposed to a garden that's level with the surrounding grade. The soil in my area of town is full of a lot of clays and is not suitable for growth. I'd prefer to raise it a few inches and get top soil mixed in.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
I've seen people use railroad ties to make something very similar to what you're talking about. They'd be cheaper and easier to work with than block depending on what kind of look you're going for.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
Your cheapest and easiest installation process is going to be cinder blocks. You could cap them with some treated lumber and tapcon them down into the block. Retaining wall blocks from big box stores are garbage. If you are going to pay for nicer looking block go to Rhino Materials in Des Moines. They have a large selection. Any other questions feel free to PM me.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
I've seen people use railroad ties to make something very similar to what you're talking about. They'd be cheaper and easier to work with than block depending on what kind of look you're going for.

That's what my dad always used when he made those sorts of those things, and they did work really well.

If you're looking for pavers or whatnot, maybe try Rhino Materiels on Fuller Road in WDM, or Mulchmart out in Waukee. Wright Outdoor Solutions has a store on Racoon River Dr as well.

L4STATE

May 24, 2009
I helped my dad put some in a few years ago at our home. We put 4X4 posts in the corners, and put 2X10 treated lumber up the sides. For one this small, you could probably screw together a wolmanized box, and just set it on the ground to fill with soil. You also might dig out some of the clay and put sand below the soil as drainage is usually an issue.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
If this is going to be a garden where you're growing things you're going to eat you may want to stay away from railroad ties and treated lumber - what goes into your garden will be going into your food.

If you need topsoil to fill it there are a couple places down on Raccoon River Drive in WDM. I've used Hallett Materials (good soil, a little chunky, but from an old hog lot so it's fertile, at a reasonable price) and Lounsbury Landscaping (great soil with excellent texture and drainage, but more expensive).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron