Getting the Ball Inside

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
I don't know if you're hoping for a certain answer, but every position is responsible. Prins has to get position and hold the seal, whoever has the ball needs to deliver the pass to the appropriate place at the appropriate time, and the remaining 3 need to have good spacing and movement off the ball in order to keep from easy double teams and clogging the lane.

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
I don't know if you're hoping for a certain answer,

No, just looking for information. Too often we passed the ball around the perimeter until the shot clock expired or settled for an off balance three, seemingly unable to get the ball inside either by penetration or passing to the post. I figure it isn't easy (though it looks that way when it happens) or we'd do it more often. It once was our basic play. Welle averaged 20 ppg and shot 66% from the floor.

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
Angie got a lot of shots before the D was set, it was like a secondary break. She also got layups by being down first. She also had a go to move, something to have success with all the time. Anna isn't establishing herself and asking for the ball, needs more strength. Sometimes you can be to the spot or get there when the ball is one pass away. Use the backboard more too, please. Anna will be very good, I think. Just freshman stuff right now.

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Depending on how it's being defended it can be easy to get it inside but difficult to get a good shot or difficult to get it inside. Prins is a bit like Brackins with how she tends to shy away from going to the rim. When she's physical and goes to the hoop she does well in the paint. Pop always goes hard to the rim because she doesn't have the shooting touch to rely on. I'd say Zimmerman is somewhere in between.

I didn't think there were too many bad posessions without getting a touch inside (excluding UConn of course).

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Angie got a lot of shots before the D was set, it was like a secondary break. She also got layups by being down first. She also had a go to move, something to have success with all the time. Anna isn't establishing herself and asking for the ball, needs more strength. Sometimes you can be to the spot or get there when the ball is one pass away. Use the backboard more too, please. Anna will be very good, I think. Just freshman stuff right now.

+1
Angie Welle was really QUICK ! I was surprised when watching her @ Hilton back in 2001 as she literally raced from one end to another end. Well, that's why she was All American
Anna is still a freshman and I agree that the coaching staff will work on her during the off-season

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Welle averaged 20 ppg and shot 66% from the floor.

I remember being frustrated all the time at our inability to get the ball in the post back in the Welle era. We'd go several possessions in a row without getting it to her, then BF would yell at the backcourt to get her the ball more. The next several minutes would be spent passing the ball into the post no matter what and turning it over a bunch because most of those passes were ill-advised.

I think a lack of driving ability by the backcourt coupled with rarely having multiple low post options on the court together means that ISU has NEVER been great at feeding the post in the Fennelly era. I honestly think as the three freshman posts mature (as well as Christofferson and any future post recruits), I think this could finally change.

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
Angie commented earlier this year that the game has changed. Even so, there are still teams that find a way to get the ball inside. Earlier this evening it seemed that Baylor could get the ball to Griner for easy buckets, but, most of the time not - perhaps a better zone defense? Also, BF's point guards are generally most noted for outside shooting and getting assists by feeding other outside shooters rather than driving or feeding the post

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
If Prins gets the ball near the hoop, she'll score. Which position is most responsible for making that happen?

The head coach.

I think a lack of driving ability by the backcourt coupled with rarely having multiple low post options on the court together means that ISU has NEVER been great at feeding the post in the Fennelly era.

Until that changes, ISU will likely not progress beyond the Sweet 16.

I honestly think as the three freshman posts mature (as well as Christofferson and any future post recruits), I think this could finally change.

I hope you are right. ISU has gone as far as it can go with the the "Live and Die by the 3-pt shot" approach...

Last edited:

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
miss prins would be 200 percent better for the team if she would learn to do a turnaround juimp shot.

RandomFan

Aug 11, 2009
The head coach.

Until that changes, ISU will likely not progress beyond the Sweet 16.

I hope you are right. ISU has gone as far as it can go with the the "Live and Die by the 3-pt shot" approach...

Um, didn't we progress beyond the Sweet 16 just last year?

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Um, didn't we progress beyond the Sweet 16 just last year?

True enough. ISU was also a #4 seed last year, but they got to play a #9 seed in the Sweet 16 game, instead of a #1 like this year. Last year, When ISU hit #2 Stanford, they were blown out, albiet not as bad as the UConn game.