Upsets, upsets, Upsets

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Alright, what's everyone's upsets? I'm going to list a few, but they will be "potential upsets" and not 100% concrete picks on my part...they're based on seedings BTW:

Northern Iowa over UNLV
San Diego State over Tennessee
UTEP over Butler
Murray State over Vanderbilt
St. Mary's over Richmond
Wofford over Wisconsin
Missouri over Clemson
Cornell over Temple
Siena over Purdue (only because Hummel is out)

I'm not picking all of these, just merely saying they have the greatest chance of happening in my mind than the other matchups.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Houston didn't have a very good year, but they are the exact type of team that can pull an upset, senior guards that can go for 40 in any game.

I think Siena v. Purdue is the biggest upset threat. Siena is REALLY good and Purdue is struggling.

I also think Murray St v Vanderbilt, Minnesota v. Xavier and Cornell v. Temple have upset potential.

I think in general the 4 seeds are weak and not playing well. I think at least 2 will lose.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Utah St. over Tex A&M in Spokane,WA........gotta take sites into consideration.

Then you'd have to take into consideration Minnesota over Xavier. Utah State is located 650-700 miles from Spokane. Minnesota is located about 325-360 miles from Milwaukee.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
I think a lot of people will look over Wofford...Wisconsin is good, but there's a reason why Wofford is a 13 seed in their first ever tournament, and not a 15 or 16.

Here's an article Andy Katz wrote last week about Wofford
Never heard of Wofford? Time to learn - College Basketball Nation Blog - ESPN

"Wofford is hardly a household name. But looking back, the Terriers should have been more on our mind. They were one possession away from winning at Pitt in the season opener, took out Georgia and South Carolina of the SEC and went 15-3 in a respected league."

While Georgia and South Carolina were mediocre this year, you don't just walk into the home arenas of two major conference teams when you're in a lowly conference and win. You also don't walk into Pitt and only lose by 3.

They also lost at Illinois by 6 and kept it pretty close with Michigan State at MSU for 3/4 of the game, but lost by 12.

Now, Wisconsin winning, probably will happen but if Wofford wins or it comes down to the end it would not surprise me at all.

Oh yeah, Wofford's best player has a brother on Michigan State and also holds the Minnesota state record for career rebounds in high school play ahead of some respectable names.

Last edited:

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Tom Izzo always gets it done...I don't see them going to the Final Four, but I see them in the sweet 16 at least.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I hate that they put Cornell against Temple! Those two teams are both so dangerous and could see either of them going pretty far actually. That's the toughest pick, but since I really think Temple is flying under the radar, I will pick them and actually have them in the Elite 8. But it won't surprise me one bit if Cornell wins.

UTEP and Murray State will meet, upsetting Butler and Vandy.

RhoadsRage

I AM SO PROUD....
Bookie
Jan 25, 2010
McGregor
Agreed. My Michigan State friend is very worried about this "Maryland ALWAYS beats us"...but Tom Izzo is a hell of a coach in the tournament.

He's got several final four appearances to prove it. And a couple with teams he had no business taking there IMO.