Barnes: A key matchup to watch tomorrow night

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I just got out of a media session with Texas head coach Rick Barnes. Branes said to keep an eye on how Iowa State chooses to defend Dexter Pittman. In Ames, Barnes said that Iowa State consistently double-teamed him, which the big man did not like. He only scored six points.

However, because of that, freshman Avery Bradley was constantly left wide open and went off for 24 points. Because of that or because of Lucca's defense that evening?

"Lucca had 17 points that night. He gave up about 40," the Des Moines Register's Randy Peterson just told me minutes ago.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
We do tend to place great emphasis on guarding the paint and taking our chances with open 3 point shooters. Luckily, K State was missing them. Avery Bradley did not.

It's an interesting approach since we love 3 pointers on offense.

Reactions: kilgore_trout

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Lucca's awful D wasn't anymore awful than anyone else on the team.

Does anyone here think we are a better team without him? I sure hope not.

I disagree about his defense. Don't think we are better without him but I thought all along SC should have played more minutes. Still do

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006

I think most people feel the same as they did when Lucca was here. We'd be a better team with Scott getting most of the minutes at the 2 and Lucca coming off the bench.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Dexter Pittman is the most overrated player in the Big 12 if not the country. The guy barely plays 18 mins a game and is always gassed by the end of the contest. Plus when he is in there he can't pass out of a double team and forces way to many shots.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Right now, maybe. When Scott was sick, no. Lucca did one thign very well that I would say could have won us some games. He also played poor defense. He was not as good as Scotty defensively. Hell, maybe we lose to KSU because of less pressure on Clemente or Pullen. In the end we cannot really say. We needed Lucca when Scotty was sick, it was evident. Right now I would rather have Scotty for this run than have Lucca.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
I disagree about his defense. Don't think we are better without him but I thought all along SC should have played more minutes. Still do

I think most people feel the same as they did when Lucca was here. We'd be a better team with Scott getting most of the minutes at the 2 and Lucca coming off the bench.

Snowcraig is right. Lucca's defense wasn't as bad as most like to remember it being. Yes his defense stunk last year but this year his defense wasn't any worse than anyone elses on the team

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Dexter Pittman is the most overrated player in the Big 12 if not the country. The guy barely plays 18 mins a game and is always gassed by the end of the contest. Plus when he is in there he can't pass out of a double team and forces way to many shots.

It would be nice if ISU could find somebody to guard him straight up and hold him to his 7 ppg (conference). If ISU can't guard him straight up and has to double team him, he becomes much less "overrated"...

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
I'd rather have DG guard Bradley than Scott. DG has some good length and is taller than Bradley. With Balbay going down they really don't have a true point guard anyway. Just my 2 cents.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I just got out of a media session with Texas head coach Rick Barnes. Branes said to keep an eye on how Iowa State chooses to defend Dexter Pittman. In Ames, Barnes said that Iowa State consistently double-teamed him, which the big man did not like. He only scored six points.

However, because of that, freshman Avery Bradley was constantly left wide open and went off for 24 points. Because of that or because of Lucca's defense that evening?

"Lucca had 17 points that night. He gave up about 40," the Des Moines Register's Randy Peterson just told me minutes ago.

Lucca wasn't the only guy who guarded Bradley. I know Scotty was defending him for 2 of the 3's and Gilstrap was defending him for 2 others.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I think we can play them close. I'm afraid our win of KSU may have scared Texas into taking us seriously though.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Snowcraig is right. Lucca's defense wasn't as bad as most like to remember it being. Yes his defense stunk last year but this year his defense wasn't any worse than anyone elses on the team

I didn't say snowcraig was wrong. We could use Lucca because he's a body that would provide some depth. I just think Scott is a better basketball player.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron