Big XII Wrestling Tournament

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
The NCAA is the big kahuna, but looks like it would take a monumental effort to dethrone Iowa.

However, I am getting a little nervous about winning the Big 12 for the 4th straight year. While we did well in the dual matchups, looks like Big 12 may come down to ISU and OSU and may hang in the balance for Z. His matches are nerve racking enough without the weight of a conference championship riding on it.

Or am I a little too nervous?

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
The NCAA is the big kahuna, but looks like it would take a monumental effort to dethrone Iowa.

However, I am getting a little nervous about winning the Big 12 for the 4th straight year. While we did well in the dual matchups, looks like Big 12 may come down to ISU and OSU and may hang in the balance for Z. His matches are nerve racking enough without the weight of a conference championship riding on it.

I agree. We are going to have good matches out of some of our lower/middle weights as well as a good showing from Z.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Not in my book.

"I didn't even comb my hair today because I knew it was going to be dog fight..." Who said it and when?

Melvin

Jul 29, 2008
Crete, NE
Your a little too nervous. We should get a ton of Bonus Points.

Does anyone know how they are going to score this tournament? Do you get bonus points for pins and tech falls? What is the point structure?

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Not in my book.

"I didn't even comb my hair today because I knew it was going to be dog fight..." Who said it and when?

Michael Nurse after the 2000 loss to MSU in the E8.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA

Well, if it comes down to Z, he'll at least have experience on his side as it will be the 3rd time in his career that the conference title has hinged on his match.

Z may have the last match of the night but we'll have plenty of other chances to lock it away before it ever gets to him. If Fanthorpe can win a rematch against Oliver that'll help alot. Jensen needs to win a match. If Mueller could get over the hump against Terry and get a title that would be big. Burk and Ward could be big if they could pick up some wins against guys that have beaten them before. Reader will have a tough finals match and needs to hold serve against Marable/Meade.

There are a ton of variables, but honestly the key to a conference title may be held by Sorenson. If he can go 2-0 and be a champ and everybody else wrestles to seed, we're gonna be a in pretty decent shape. Don't get me wrong. I'll be nervous too, but I like the way most of our guys are wrestling heading into this weekend.

cyclone1306

May 1, 2009
big12sports.com says that it will be streaming live all the rounds.

i wish it was saturday @11. I might not be very productive at work today.

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
big12sports.com says that it will be streaming live all the rounds.

i wish it was saturday @11. I might not be very productive at work today.

You're in luck it is Saturday @ 11.

Also, have the brackets been posted yet?

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Well, if it comes down to Z, he'll at least have experience on his side as it will be the 3rd time in his career that the conference title has hinged on his match.

Z may have the last match of the night but we'll have plenty of other chances to lock it away before it ever gets to him. If Fanthorpe can win a rematch against Oliver that'll help alot. Jensen needs to win a match. If Mueller could get over the hump against Terry and get a title that would be big. Burk and Ward could be big if they could pick up some wins against guys that have beaten them before. Reader will have a tough finals match and needs to hold serve against Marable/Meade.

There are a ton of variables, but honestly the key to a conference title may be held by Sorenson. If he can go 2-0 and be a champ and everybody else wrestles to seed, we're gonna be a in pretty decent shape. Don't get me wrong. I'll be nervous too, but I like the way most of our guys are wrestling heading into this weekend.

I was at the tourney in Lincoln last year and Z's match was intense. Couldn't have been a more hostile crowd then that with all the Fusker fans cheering against Z and cheering for the kid from Mizzou. Nebraska fans.... not the definition of classy.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
As reported, these are what have been posted by OU.

125lbs
1. Andrew Long (ISU)
2. Jarrod Patterson (OU)
3. Chris Notte (OSU)
4. David Klingsheim (NU)
5. Eric Wilson (MU)

133lbs
1. Jordan Oliver (OSU)
2. Nick Fanthorpe (ISU)
3. Kendric Maple (OU)
4. CJ Napier (NU)
5. Nathan McCormick (MU)

141lbs
1. Zack Bailey (OU)
2. Jamal Parks (OSU)
3. Todd Schavrien (MU)
4. Mike Koehnlein (NU)
5. Dalton Jenson (ISU)

149lbs
1. Kyle Terry (OU)
2. Mitch Mueller (ISU)
3. Quinten Fuentes (OSU)
4. Nick Hucke (MU)
5. Dustin Payne (NU)

157lbs
Not Yet Seeded

165lbs
1. Jon Reader (ISU)
2. Nick Marable (MU)
3. Alex Meade (OSU)
4. Tyler Caldwell (OU)
5. James Nakashima (NU)

174lbs
1. Stephen Dwyer (NU)
2. Mike Benefiel (OSU)
3. Jeff James (OU)
4. Duke Burk (ISU)
5. Dorian Henderson (MU)

184lbs
1. Max Askren (MU)
2. Clayton Foster (OSU)
3. Jerome Ward (ISU)
4. Josh Ihnen (NU)
5. Erich Schmidtke (OU)

197lbs
1. Jake Varner (ISU)
2. Craig Brester (NU)
3. Eric Lapotsky (OU)
4. Brent Haynes (MU)
5. Alan Gelogaev (OSU)

285lbs
1. Jake Rosholt (OSU)
2. David Zabriskie (ISU)
3. Mark Ellis (MU)
4. Tucker Lane (NU)
5. Nathan Fernandez (OU)

The coaches need to meet to sort out 157. Sorenson could end up as the 1 seed, othewise he's likely the 2. I'd like to see him get the 1 for the obvious reason of the easier draw, but also to get a match under his belt in his first B12 tournament before he has to tangle with the Erisman/Vernon winner. That weight is key to our title hopes.

cyclone1306

May 1, 2009
Just saw on Chris Bono's twitter account that fox sports midwest and fox sports southwest are carrying the BIg 12 finals LIVE!!!!

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
I was at the tourney in Lincoln last year and Z's match was intense. Couldn't have been a more hostile crowd then that with all the Fusker fans cheering against Z and cheering for the kid from Mizzou. Nebraska fans.... not the definition of classy.

What makes that not classy? Any fan base in the country would do exactly the same thing. Even if the match had no bearing on the final standings I don't see a problem.