Who thought McD was a bad Hire!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
I know I didn't. I still think he can coach, but he needs athletes to coach. He can't retain or recruit the type of people. But WHO thnks he could coach guards!?! He is a good guy, but he can't coach worth a **** for good players. However, he is good at one thing. recruiting and keeping big men. He's a good man, but he is not a B12 guard coach! AT ALL! Ask a talented kid like Diante Garrett.

FYI, I think Garrett will be THE BEST PG in the B12 next year, no matter the coach, but he should be better this year with better coaching. Period.

C

Cyclone42

Who thought Chizik was a bad hire? Who thought Theresa Becker was a bad hire? Who thought Jim Walden was a bad hire? All of these people were fired.

BTW, Garrett is a junior. It can be shown that most players make the most improvement by their sophomore years. I think you can see this with Brackins, for instance.

Last edited by a moderator:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
At the time I liked the hire. And Iowa was hardly our only competitor for his services - K-State was hard charging for him as well. Now, with hindsight being 20/20, it's very easy to say he was a bad hire. But of course now everyone's NOW going to come out of the woodwork and say they thought he was a bad hire from the beginning...

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
Good hire and IMO it would be an incredibly foolish move to make a change at this point in time. I trust JP will make the right decision.

Reactions: IowaCYcler

URBCLONE

Mar 26, 2006
Urbandale
I thought he was a bad hire the day he was announced. That was around the time this site was just getting going and I argued with a few people that day that I didn't think GM would work out.

Reactions: CyBobby

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
I thought it was a bad hire from the start. Go find my posts on cyclonenation.com, I was getting ripped for it. I compared him to McCarney which was not the type of coach that ISU needed.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I remember exactly what I thought----I was shocked that he was even considering Iowa State. I thought he was holding out for Iowa to fire Alford. I was envious of UNI under McDermott and I didn't particulary like him.

I've obviously learned to like and respect him. I think he is a good coach who even though this year has been a disappointed should continue to lead our team.

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
I know I didn't. I still think he can coach, but he needs athletes to coach. He can't retain or recruit the type of people. But WHO thnks he could coach guards!?! He is a good guy, but he can't coach worth a **** for good players. However, he is good at one thing. recruiting and keeping big men. He's a good man, but he is not a B12 guard coach! AT ALL! Ask a talented kid like Diante Garrett.

FYI, I think Garrett will be THE BEST PG in the B12 next year, no matter the coach, but he should be better this year with better coaching. Period.

Thanks for the Period at the end. It really drove your point home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron