Cable Internet Wireless Router

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I just switched to Cox internet and need to get a cable compatible router. There is a wide variety of types and prices. What the hell am I supposed to buy? I know that I should at least match the speed of my laptop wireless card (n), other than that nothing. I also want to wirelessly sync the Wii, which I could never get done on my DSL router. Any thoughts?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
This is kind of like a tv thread. Everyone will have their favorite. It's hard to say one brand is better than another because they've all had good and bad models. I've had netgear,belkin, and now belkin. They've all been fine once you figured them out. Just go to Newegg.com - Networking,Wireless Networking,Wireless Routers,Up to 300Mbps

and look at the reviews. BTW-they are all "cable compatible". I don't know what the Wii uses but I'm guessing it's not N. It doesn't really matter because every router I've seen with N also includes G.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Once you buy the router set it up with the highest security. A persons wep password can be cracked within 20 minutes by a novice

Nov 23, 2008
Norwalk via Marshalltown
Here's what I have:

Linksys by Cisco Wireless-N Broadband Router WRT160N

Never had a problem with Linksys. Good product and reliability. My router is up in a corner bedroom on the top level and I get great reception in the lower level family room which is in the opposite corner of the house. I've also been out in the driveway in my car waiting on my wife, dinking around on my iPhone and still getting good reception.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
That was the problem I had with the Wii originally, the security stuff wasnt jiving.

Also, they arent all cable compatible, some are like the one I have, for DSL only. I didnt know that til I tried to hook this all up :yes:

The linksys ratings on bestbuy are awful. The most recent several are one star.

CyFever

Dec 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Don't confuse a router with a modem. A modem has one port for your provider, either RJ-11 (phone) for DSL or coaxial for cable, and one for your computer/network (RJ-45 - Ethernet). A router has an RJ-45 as an input from your modem, and RJ-45 and/or wireless antennae for your network.

The modem is specific to the type of internet service you have. The router will work with either. If you have only one wired computer, you don't need a router. You can connect your computer directly to the modem. If you have multiple computers, you need the router (or hub/switch if they're all wired).

Stick with one of the major brands sold at major retailers and you'll be fine. Picked the lowest cost, highest review scores, your favorite color, whatever. You'll be OK. Neweggg generally has much better prices than Best Buy, et al.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
This is the one I have had for about a year. It's worked flawlessly for me.

Newegg.com - D-Link DIR-825 IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11a/g, IEEE802.11n Draft 2.0 Xtreme N Dual Band Gigabit Router - Wireless Routers

I really don't understand some of the negative ratings regarding setup. My setup worked flawlessly twice: right after I bought it, and again after Time-Warner gave me a new cable modem.

I've given up on Linksys equiment. I had a stretch a couple of years ago where my routers and hubs were routinely failing after 3-4 months of operation. I've since switched to D-Link, and have not had a failure since.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Don't confuse a router with a modem. A modem has one port for your provider, either RJ-11 (phone) for DSL or coaxial for cable, and one for your computer/network (RJ-45 - Ethernet). A router has an RJ-45 as an input from your modem, and RJ-45 and/or wireless antennae for your network.

The modem is specific to the type of internet service you have. The router will work with either. If you have only one wired computer, you don't need a router. You can connect your computer directly to the modem. If you have multiple computers, you need the router (or hub/switch if they're all wired).

Stick with one of the major brands sold at major retailers and you'll be fine. Picked the lowest cost, highest review scores, your favorite color, whatever. You'll be OK. Neweggg generally has much better prices than Best Buy, et al.

Just to be clear. I have a cable modem that came with the cox. I had a DSL modem/router. I cant get the cable signal into that router to send wirelessly, at least not that I can see, as it only accepts dsl input. Thus the need for a wireless unit that accepts the cable signal from the new cable modem.

I agree JBH, looks like linksys is having some trouble.

CyFever

Dec 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Apperently you have some sort of combo modem/router for your DSL then. For your cable modem, it's going to be two separate devices. The output from your cable modem will no longer be a cable signal. It is just an Ethernet port. Any router should work with that.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Apperently you have some sort of combo modem/router for your DSL then. For your cable modem, it's going to be two separate devices. The output from your cable modem will no longer be a cable signal. It is just an Ethernet port. Any router should work with that.

Gotcha

Why do some modems that are called wireless N, then say b/g? Or does that just mean they handle those slower speeds in addition to the N?