Buying out Cell Phone Contract

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006
Anyone know how much it cost to buy out of a cell phone contract? We have four phones on our plan, two contracts are up. One is up in July and the other April 2011. Trying to switch from US Cellular to Verizon or AT&T.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Several years ago it was around $300 for US Cellular, I think.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
they have to prorate the termination fee based on how much of the contract you have left.
I think the standard fee is around $200 per phone so I would guess you will be looking at around $100-$200

CyGal

Mar 1, 2006
WDM
You might be able to get out of the July one for free - possibly have to wait a month or two to do that, it depends on US Cellular. The one for next year will cost you more, as Cytech said.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Try to get your new company to cover it or give you bill credits for the amount of the termination to switch early.

akellar

Nov 28, 2008
Stuart, IA
I'm not trying to be a jerk but these type's of threads annoy me. Wouldn't it be faster and more efficient to call US Cellular and ask them instead of what a bunch of random people on a forum think? You have to sort through a bunch of posts that don't answer your question (like this one) to find what some other person thinks they will bill you, only to end up calling them to find out anyway. I don't get it? :confused:

(Ok I'm getting off the soapbox now)

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006
I'm not trying to be a jerk but these type's of threads annoy me. Wouldn't it be faster and more efficient to call US Cellular and ask them instead of what a bunch of random people on a forum think? You have to sort through a bunch of posts that don't answer your question (like this one) to find what some other person thinks they will bill you, only to end up calling them to find out anyway. I don't get it? :confused:

(Ok I'm getting off the soapbox now)

As you can tell by some of the responses here, sometimes the result is different. As the poster above you put, sometimes the new company will cover the charges if you are leaving one of their competitors. Would I have ever known that if he didn't say it? Nope. It's always nice to get opinions from others or hear their experiences, as you sometimes get told a different story.

Thanks for your input on the topic though.

Reactions: CycloneErik

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
My suggestion is when you do switch, keep a copy of your new contract.

MadCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2006
Madison, WI
Anyone know how much it cost to buy out of a cell phone contract? We have four phones on our plan, two contracts are up. One is up in July and the other April 2011. Trying to switch from US Cellular to Verizon or AT&T.

Good topic as I am doing the same thing and just talked to US Cellular the yesterday. I'm willing to share the information.

Original buyout on my single line was $150. I'm 12 months into that contract, buyout is now $90.

I've talked to a Verizon store here in Madison. That particular store will give you up to $130 dollars to buy out of another providers contract to switch. They give you the money, they don't pay it off directly.

I've been with US Cellular for 10 years. Love it and never had any issues what so ever. I'm just ready to be able to get new phones when they come out, and not have to wait so I'm going to switch for a period.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron