Hockey: Olympic Gold Medal Match outdraws NBA Finals, World Series, Final Four

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
This is AWESOME. I think a US Gold medal would have gone a long ways for the sport, but I'm glad to see this kind of exposure for hockey. I think a lot of people who knew nothing about the sport became fans during these Olympics.

HiltonMagic

Apr 12, 2006
CA
Visit site
This is AWESOME. I think a US Gold medal would have gone a long ways for the sport, but I'm glad to see this kind of exposure for hockey. I think a lot of people who knew nothing about the sport became fans during these Olympics.

and they'll go right back to not caring for another four years...

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Maybe people will wake up to how great hockey is. I cannot see how people can watch baseball, it is like watching paint dry, but hockey is 60 min of non stop action.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Maybe people will wake up to how great hockey is. I cannot see how people can watch baseball, it is like watching paint dry, but hockey is 60 min of non stop action.

If people went to go see a hockey game live before they watched one on tv I think their opinions would change. I don't mind watching games on TV but seeing them live is awesome. I would challenge anyone who doesn't like hockey to go to a Buc's game and sit down on the glass. The first time someone gets slammed off the boards right in front of them they will love it.

Reactions: alaskaguy

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Regular season NHL games are boring for the most part, just like regular season NBA and MLB games are boring because each individual game means nothing when you play 82 in a season, or 162 as the case may be. Playoff hockey however, is some of the best sports action you'll see.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Regular season NHL games are boring for the most part, just like regular season NBA and MLB games are boring because each individual game means nothing when you play 82 in a season, or 162 as the case may be. Playoff hockey however, is some of the best sports action you'll see.

Exactly I rarely watch regular season NBA or NHL but I do watch the playoffs. Same goes with soccer. I basically only watch World Cup or UEFA Cup. American Football is the only sport where each game has a lot on the line.

Alot of people will be disappointed when they go to watch a regular season NHL game after watching the Olympic hockey games.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I agree that the lengthy season is boring as hell. It would be nice if they started shortening seasons, but more games = more revenue, so fat chance.

The Stanley Cup Playoffs are the best in major professional sports though. Hell, maybe even in American Sports period. Only March Madness rivals/exceeds it. Absolutely incredible, even if you don't have a dog in the fight.

harty83

Nov 15, 2006
Sioux Falls SD
This is the reason why I love college football. I love other sports as well, NHL, MLB, NBA, NFL, NCAA BB, etc, but only watch playoffs (live games excluded). I guess that's why I don't want a FB playoff. BCS still sucks, though. And to my good friend Broodwich, I am sorry to inform you that the Redwings are my team (always have been ever since I was ten and saw Cameron wearing the Gordie Howe jersey on Ferris Bueller's Day Off).

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines

That's the same thing people were saying in 1980, and when the Wings/Avs rivalry was it's highest in the late 90's, and just as recently as last summer after one of the better Stanley Cup finals in recent memory.

The NHL might experience a slight jump in ratings, but without a national cable platform it'll still be just a regional thing. The diehards will watch, but the casual fan won't.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Steve Rosenberg made a lot of good points in his blog on the Tribune's site today. Not sure if I agree with his idea of contracting to 16 teams, but contraction in general wouldn't hurt. The main point he makes is that there is no way that any regular season game in the NHL can recreate what we saw over the last 2 weeks. If anyone got "turned on" to hockey just yesterday, you're going to have until the last weeks of May to see anything anywhere near as instense as the two games the US and Canada played.

Chicago Sports News: Sports News, Scores and Schedules - chicagotribune.com

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron