CELEBRATION IN THE STREETS!

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
I was watching the closing ceremonies with my roommate tonight and this came up.

Canada city streets are filled with celebrating people.

What would it take for that to happen across the U.S.? I mean like numerous cities, not just New orleans or Chicago or New York. Is there anything that could make that kind of thing even happen in the US? The last time I can think of that happening would be end of WW2 celebrations?

I'm too young to have been alive when we were on the moon, but I'm assuming everyone was huddled around TVs for Apollo 11. Was there celebrating after the fall of the Berlin Wall?

Reactions: galactawitz

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Sports wise, there probably isn't anything that would set off a celebration like that. That was an awesome game, with an awesome ending, even if we came out on the short end of it.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
Sports wise, there probably isn't anything that would set off a celebration like that. That was an awesome game, with an awesome ending, even if we came out on the short end of it.

Yea, I've never been that excited about watching a hockey game. That was a great time.

galactawitz

Nov 27, 2007
Ames
How bout winning the world baseketball championship!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8WdDmAFcJw"]YouTube- Baseketball Trailer[/ame]

Last edited:

nickwc

Mar 27, 2007
Denver, CO
when the USA wins the world cup. even people who hate soccer, couldn't hate on that. and everyone would be celebrating because we just ****** the rest of the world off by winning their sport.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
when the USA wins the world cup. even people who hate soccer, couldn't hate on that. and everyone would be celebrating because we just ****** the rest of the world off by winning their sport.

Maybe, but we're talking nationwide euphoria, not just flipping the bird because we beat the world at their game. Nationwide celebrations like what happened in New Orleans the night the Saints won.

I can't think of anything sports-wise that would unite the country like that.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Nothing. I understand their excited, but really they need to get a life. This was their version of the Dream Team? My god most people didn't even expect us to medal and we almost won. There is so much more to American culture one sport. Kinda pathetic Canada!:no:

galactawitz

Nov 27, 2007
Ames
Maybe, but we're talking nationwide euphoria, not just flipping the bird because we beat the world at their game. Nationwide celebrations like what happened in New Orleans the night the Saints won.

I can't think of anything sports-wise that would unite the country like that.

I would agree there isn't anything that has a country wide following that would really qualify. Maybe the closest thing was the U.S. Hockey victory in 80 over the Russians.

Part of it is thought that the U.S. owns the greatest sports leagues and has the best athletes in the world in the sports that most Americans care about. So with the distribution of professional teams in so many cities, there is no unifying factor nation wide really. I just can't think of anything at all really, which in a nostalgic way is sort of sad...

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
I would agree there isn't anything that has a country wide following that would really qualify. Maybe the closest thing was the U.S. Hockey victory in 80 over the Russians.

Part of it is thought that the U.S. owns the greatest sports leagues and has the best athletes in the world in the sports that most Americans care about. So with the distribution of professional teams in so many cities, there is no unifying factor nation wide really. I just can't think of anything at all really, which in a nostalgic way is sort of sad...

Well said.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
That is well said. Would you change all of that to be in a situation like Canada was in tonight though? To wait every four years just for a chance to win gold in 1 sport?