Anyone seen The Crazies yet?

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I'm going in about an hour, and keep reading both really hot and really cold reviews on it.

The funniest is when I read someone say that it was horrible because it's unrealistic that there was only one African-American in the town. Apparently they've never been to a small farm town in Iowa...

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm going in about an hour, and keep reading both really hot and really cold reviews on it.

The funniest is when I read someone say that it was horrible because it's unrealistic that there was only one African-American in the town. Apparently they've never been to a small farm town in Iowa...

That is fairly unrealisitic, the one african american I mean, usually it's 0 in the real small Iowa towns. Most reviews I have seen are good, last time I checked it was holding around 70% on rotten tomatoes, which is pretty damn good for that website.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
That is fairly unrealisitic, the one african american I mean, usually it's 0 in the real small Iowa towns.

We had one that I think 3 small towns considered part of their town. We were very diverse for a town of 1000. Had a Presbyterian, Baptist, and Reformed church :wink:

CP44

Nov 27, 2006
Wasn't it filmed in Lenox? That is from down in my neck of the woods.

Me too... I'm from Creston so its not too far... I know the guy that installed the satellites for the tv's in the trailers and he said the main character was really nice... he also said he had 3 gorgeous girls in his trailer :yes:

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
My overall review: not a bad little film.

The town it's based in is right outside of Cedar Rapids, so of course there was a Hawkeye reference.

I'll probably buy the DVD, which says a lot because I rarely buy horror movies since they usually have little replay value for me.

My only qualm is that I don't think anyone was sick or crazy. They just lived in a small Iowa town. Hollywood doesn't realize that Iowans just have to try and find something to do to pass the time.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
My overall review: not a bad little film.

The town it's based in is right outside of Cedar Rapids, so of course there was a Hawkeye reference.

I'll probably buy the DVD, which says a lot because I rarely buy horror movies since they usually have little replay value for me.

My only qualm is that I don't think anyone was sick or crazy. They just lived in a small Iowa town. Hollywood doesn't realize that Iowans just have to try and find something to do to pass the time.
So basically it no "Dude where's my car"?

Jack & Hilton

Nov 30, 2007
Its a true story, a bunch of Hawkeye fans that are "crazies." The plot is pretty normal for anybody whose lived in a town in Eastern Iowa.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Geez Chris Williams don't you follow any news in Iowa that is not sports related? I am going to start worrying about your life a little! I am sure KMA spent time on this being filmed at Lenox for the past two years and I know you covered plenty of Lenox trips to State tourny's in football and baseball the past several years. You need to see the movie just because the opening scene is the baseball field and you have been there. The production took about three months in Lenox with the filming taking about three weeks in late April, early May. It was plenty cold at night for the night scenes in April. Main street shut down for about two weeks. The bank was converted into the sheriff's office/jail. The crew and actors put in long days and they did not screw off. They rented Motel rooms wherever they could find them and drove in daily. Food was catered in out of town. Primarily due to the California cuisine desire. I guess they do not like hot beef sandwiches, breaded tenderloins or gravy - I guess. I am from Lenox and was involved with planning, operations, etc. I could go on but I do not want to ruin anything for anybody going to see the movie. I will say that Tim Oliphant is a good guy and this movie may be a big step in the right direction for him in the industry.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron