Great Plains

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
I'm trying to see if anyone on the website knows the manager or owner personally. We went there tonight after the game and everything was great for the most part. Just wanted to comment on something to him.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
My wife and the owners wife are friends. They are a really nice family and deserve all the success they have achieved.

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
I'm trying to see if anyone on the website knows the manager or owner personally. We went there tonight after the game and everything was great for the most part. Just wanted to comment on something to him.

My son-in-law is the manager and has been for several years.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
They should start a Des Moines location.

I've thought this as well, ever since I moved here after school.

Combine it with a moderate size bar, ISU theme. Place would do great IMO.

Particularly out west. Be a great place for game watches and such events. Johnny's downtown, Great Plains out west.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
yuk. bad pizza...

Better then that cardboard crap they call pizza over at Big Fred's in Omaha. Tip to fanatics that want to avoid that place..... if you see a gigantic red "N" flag flapping as you are driving just keep your foot on the gas pedal and go right on by. Yuck.

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
I've thought this as well, ever since I moved here after school.

Combine it with a moderate size bar, ISU theme. Place would do great IMO.

I had a buddy that worked there and he always talked about buying the rights to start his own franchise. I think he said it cost $10K. If I had the money, I'd be all over it, unfortunately, that's not the case.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Better then that cardboard crap they call pizza over at Big Fred's in Omaha. Tip to fanatics that want to avoid that place..... if you see a gigantic red "N" flag flapping as you are driving just keep your foot on the gas pedal and go right on by. Yuck.

You don't have to be looking for pizza to follow that advice...:wink:

Reactions: ianoconnor

becrisgreg

Apr 11, 2006
Omaha

You couldn't be further from the truth....

Big Fred's has great pizza!

I have never seen a Nebraska flag, but the do fly a giant American flag. Their back room has stuff from all 12 conference schools, and how can't you like a place that runs a ticker with all the latest lines. If that doesn't do it for you the carpeted walls should seal the deal!

West O has several great pizza joints - Fred's, Zio's, and Oscar's.

Last edited:

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
yuk. bad pizza...

I find it interesting that Iowans tend to love Great Plains pizza (myself included), but people from outside the state often HATE it. I'm not sure if it is the crust or what...I'm in a department with very few "natives" and I'm definitely in the minority in liking Great Plains.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I had a buddy that worked there and he always talked about buying the rights to start his own franchise. I think he said it cost $10K. If I had the money, I'd be all over it, unfortunately, that's not the case.

Same here.

Somebody is going to need some cash up front. With the economy and credit issues, financial backing from banks and traditional sources isn't there any longer. Alot of restaurants are hurting in that respect.

Need to start a partnership here at CF and get one up and going. If I knew anything about restaurant management....

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Same here.

Somebody is going to need some cash up front. With the economy and credit issues, financial backing from banks and traditional sources isn't there any longer. Alot of restaurants are hurting in that respect.

Need to start a partnership here at CF and get one up and going. If I knew anything about restaurant management....

Rule #1: Don't **** off any teachers.