An Honest Look at Miller and Deace's (show)

justcynn

Sep 28, 2009
Cabot, AR
So we had 18 pages out of their take on ISU Basketball (with many diversions on how MBB stinks), wonder how many pages there will be critiquing their show and performance as commentators on Sport in Central Iowa?

I'll start it off,
1) Deace is not a Cyclone insider, they really need to drop that lead in. He is no more a Cyclone than Gene Chizik was a Cyclone, he tried it for a while to see if he could get a big pay day out of it and apparently did not succeed.
2) Miller has really improved his content over the time he has been on the show, in the beginning it seemed to be Hawkeye love hour every hour. He seems to have radio talent and can be interesting to listen to when its not all recycled Hawk talk.

Miller&Deace>Cotlar and Co.

Suggestions: More interviews, Deace stop pretending to be knowledgable about Cyclone sports, less commercials between quarter of 7 and 7. Miller broaden his horizons to be a Sports Talk Leader for all relevant sports in Central Iowa, leave the Hawkeye homer bit to someone else that might be a regular guest.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I find em both entertaining. But then again.. I really dont care of someone agrees with me or doesnt blindly pub the clones.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I often think I could be pretty good at doing a show like theirs or any sports talk. I wonder how I would really be. I would probably fail miserably.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
So we had 18 pages out of their take on ISU Basketball (with many diversions on how MBB stinks), wonder how many pages there will be critiquing their show and performance as commentators on Sport in Central Iowa?

I'll start it off,
1) Deace is not a Cyclone insider, they really need to drop that lead in. He is no more a Cyclone than Gene Chizik was a Cyclone, he tried it for a while to see if he could get a big pay day out of it and apparently did not succeed.
2) Miller has really improved his content over the time he has been on the show, in the beginning it seemed to be Hawkeye love hour every hour. He seems to have radio talent and can be interesting to listen to when its not all recycled Hawk talk.

Suggestions: More interviews, Deace stop pretending to be knowledgable about Cyclone sports, less commercials between quarter of 7 and 7. Miller broaden his horizons to be a Sports Talk Leader for all relevant sports in Central Iowa, leave the Hawkeye homer bit to someone else that might be a regular guest.

Correct on Deace. Complete fraud. As for Miller, the only reason he may seem improved is because like all typical squawks, he only cheers for a winner. Since their basketball program is terrible, and we're in a football hiatus for another month or so, he has no choice but to broaden his content. As soon as football is back in swing, he goes back to being unbearable to listen to.

Just my $.02

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
I often think I could be pretty good at doing a show like theirs or any sports talk. I wonder how I would really be. I would probably fail miserably.

You'd have to be smart, resourceful, quick-witted, have depth and breadth over many topics AND be able to communicate all that in an engaging and thought provoking manner.

For example, you wouldn't want to call a player on a team (especially the team you have a website for) a scrub.

It would be a very tough job.

CYKID

Oct 18, 2006
Clive
Personally I am sick of the "family" theme of the show. I know these guys have young kids and try to act like they are all about family but I would really like to hear about my sports from a normal guy. How about throwing in some beer drinking stories, a little frivolity and a good old dose of man talk. I have heard enough Star Wars, Comic Book, AAU Basketball, bromance, daddy daughter date talk to make me puke. Is this really their target audience? Thank God for Bruno late at night. Maybe it's just me but how about something to make me laugh in the morning.

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
Personally I am sick of the "family" theme of the show. I know these guys have young kids and try to act like they are all about family but I would really like to hear about my sports from a normal guy. How about throwing in some beer drinking stories, a little frivolity and a good old dose of man talk. I have heard enough Star Wars, Comic Book, AAU Basketball, bromance, daddy daughter date talk to make me puke. Is this really their target audience? Thank God for Bruno late at night. Maybe it's just me but how about something to make me laugh in the morning.

you forgot guitar lessons, how great I was on the West Branch football team, and the mortgage industry.....

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
You'd have to be smart, resourceful, quick-witted, have depth and breadth over many topics AND be able to communicate all that in an engaging and thought provoking manner.

For example, you wouldn't want to call a player on a team (especially the team you have a website for) a scrub.

It would be a very tough job.

I don't know that I have those attributes. I do think I could engage thought though. I would like to give it a shot.

Chris- hook me up brotha

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
I listened to their show that was part of the other thread. Made it five minutes before I started to look for nails to shove in my ears for entertainment.

cyclone83

Apr 10, 2006
How would Hawkeye fans react if touted Hawkeye insider Miller constantly talked about his lifelong and current favorite team the Oklahoma Sooners?

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
How would Hawkeye fans react if touted Hawkeye insider Miller constantly talked about his lifelong and current favorite team the Oklahoma Sooners?

Joan is no more a Hawkeye insider than the snow drift out by the street. But I think I know what you are saying. I doubt he's got any real connections, other than self-proclaimed.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
I won't call Steve a fraud for choosing to root and support isu after he moved here.

I was he started the magazine and to give isu some pub in today's world.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I listen to their podcasts everyday. I enjoy their show...I think they are the best show locally on the air slightly ahead of Matt & Miller.

My only issues are:
1. Deace's "I don't have time for that" talk about everything except college football. I realize he has another show and family but I find it hard to believe he can't watch Iowa or ISU basketball occasionally. But he has time to play WWE video games? Fail.
2. They tend to talk about the same things over and over and say the same things over and over.

Other than that, I really like their show.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
long post cliff notes
1: SD doesnt pretend to love the cyclones, he is a Michigan fan
2: JM is far less of a hok homer than he use to be.
3: Both know more about sports than 99% of us.
4: SD is smarter than all of us on this board.
5: They have lives outside of work, thus they talk about them. Do you only talk about work at work?
6: If you hated, you wouldnt listen.
7: I would rather listen to Helen Keller than Cotlar, so SD and JM are not that bad imo.

thread/

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
long post cliff notes
5: They have lives outside of work, thus they talk about them. Do you only talk about work at work?
7: I would rather listen to Helen Keller than Cotlar, so SD and JM are not that bad imo.

thread/

Really?

CYKID

Oct 18, 2006
Clive
long post cliff notes

thread/

Funny we listen to the same show and I can't agree with anything you said.
SD pretends to like the Clones. Its in the shows opening ad
JM only likes the Clones when he has offended someone and is making up for it
maybe 60%
He thinks he is
My work isn't broadcast to the world
I listen when they talk about something I like otherwise its Mike and Mike
I don't like Cotlar either but that has nothing to do with my dislike for Miller and deace

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk

I'll start it off,

Deace still knows more not watching ISU then 3/4 of actual fans. Sad but extremely true.:yes:

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
long post cliff notes

thread/

:biglaugh:

Deace isn't a dumb *** by any stretch, but this is ridiculous. You under estimate the IQ of Cyclone Nation. He's shown an inability to understand viewpoints he doesn't agree with.

I enjoy the show. I think they get a bit sensationalist at times, but it's obvious, whether or not they acknowledge it that a lot of that is to drive up ratings and getting people chattering. It is what it is, ya know? My only problem is when Deace goes off on a political/religious tangent. He has a bully pulpit over on WHO for that. I agree that Miller has gotten a LOT better and is less of a Hawk homer than he used to be, but sometimes he pulls some real groaners.

I guess, I find the fact that they **** me off sometimes to be entertaining. Listening to the radio and agreeing with everything all the time would get old. Controversy gets you going a bit, at least for me it does. I'm also starting to appreciate the fact that ISU doesn't have a homer in the local sports talk scene, because we get to hear things more objectively. Miller, although he's gotten a lot better, will always paint a rosier picture in Hawk land than probably exists, but we get reality, or something a little harsher, which allows us to objectively assess, and make us better in the end.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Being knowledgeable and being entertaining in their line of work is not a mutually exclusive relationship.