LE could have 18 wins going into the conference tourney

cdekovic

Mar 25, 2006
Ames
Southern Miss is 16-10 and has two games left against teams with 20 wins and two teams with losing records. They are in sixth place in a twelve team conference. Will they be in the NIT? They are in Conference USA with Memphis and UTEP.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
They probably need to finish top 4 to get into the NIT. Their non-conference is pretty lackluster.

It's good to see Larry rally the troops after the rough start they had in conference play.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
Southern Miss is 16-10 and has two games left against teams with 20 wins and two teams with losing records. They are in sixth place in a twelve team conference. Will they be in the NIT? They are in Conference USA with Memphis and UTEP.

Probably no NIT for LE. Conference USA will have 2-3 max in the NCAA tourney this year. And only 32 teams make the NIT, so I doubt the conference could get 3 additional teams in the NIT.

Additionally, 2 of Larry's wins came against non Division 1 teams. So. Miss would have to win 3 of their last 4 and win a couple in the tourney to have a shot IMO.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Even with an NIT appearance this year, makes it (5) years at the helm with only the NIT - seems like a pretty mediocre coaching record to me.
I wonder if the AD still thinks he got a steal by hiring a former AP COY.

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006
Even with an NIT appearance this year, makes it (5) years at the helm with only the NIT - seems like a pretty mediocre coaching record to me.

You do realize he is at Southern Miss right? He started with less than G-Mac started with here...

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
You do realize he is at Southern Miss right? He started with less than G-Mac started with here...

You do realize it was CUSA, with two non-div 1 teams on schedule right? I guess if we include his last (3) at ISU, that makes eight years with one NIT post-season appearance.,

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
I still blame Bruce Van De Velde for firing LE and getting us into this mess.
Yup, even Gary Thompson wanted to give Larry a second chance....but the last 2 AD's, (post Gene Smith), can't handle having an ego bigger than their own in this program....

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia

Yeah, USM is a basketball powerhouse with recent a recent visit to the elite 8 :biglaugh:

He really ran that program into the ground.

KneeGusto

May 13, 2006
S̶q̶u̶a̶w̶ Ioway Creek
Debatable

Southern Miss was one of those low-Div 1 programs that typically played 13 of their first 18 games on the road to generate income before LE arrived. It wasn't a Div 1 program that needed tweaking or a rebuilding project, it is a program that wasn't built in the first place.

I'm not anointing him king and not even debating what he did or didn't do at ISU. I'm not pining for his absence at ISU nor defending his departure.

I'm just saying what he has done at S Miss is difficult to quantify - and some see it as very positive considering the circumstances he walked into at Hattiesburg.

Reactions: BigSkyCy2

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
A few comments:

The quality of play in CUSA this year is horrid...I have seen two games in person...absolutely horrid.

Southern Miss had a pretty decent program in MBB under MK Turk from the late 70s through the late 90s.

LE is in his 19th season as a head coach and he has only coached 3 teams to the NCAA Tournament in those 19 years.

Reactions: zach

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
A few comments:

The quality of play in CUSA this year is horrid...I have seen two games in person...absolutely horrid.

Southern Miss had a pretty decent program in MBB under MK Turk from the late 70s through the late 90s.

LE is in his 19th season as a head coach and he has only coached 3 teams to the NCAA Tournament in those 19 years.

Seriously, with some of those teams, I'm sorry (and stunned) that you had to see those two games. That's not pretty.

I also don't think he's done that much. We romanticize his big run here, but plenty of guys have had one quick run and flamed out. He sure seems to be one of those.