Who's going to show the 2014 and 2016 Olympics

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
The International Olympic Committee is getting a tepid response from U.S. broadcasters in Vancouver as it tries to build up interest in the next round of bidding for Olympic rights in 2014 and 2016.

Two potential bidders decided against making the trip to Vancouver, and the ones that ventured north were prepared to tell IOC executives that they will not bid as much as NBC bid on the 2010 and 2012 Games. NBC paid $2.1 billion in rights for the Vancouver and London Olympics.

The IOC is hosting top executives from ESPN and Turner Broadcasting during the Games. But executives from other potential bidders, Fox Sports and CBS, are not planning to travel to Vancouver during the two-week event, and their absence deals a blow to one of the IOC's biggest selling points around the Games.

Last Saturday, an ESPN delegation led by President George Bodenheimer was scheduled to sit down with IOC President Jacques Rogge and other IOC members at the committee's hotel, the Westin Bayshore.

Also, this week, IOC executive board member Richard Carrión plans to meet with the ESPN executives about future Olympic rights.

Turner executives, led by David Levy, also have meetings set up with IOC executives in Vancouver.

And CAA, which is advising the IOC on how to approach the U.S. media market, will have executives in Vancouver during the early part of this week.

Several sources described these meetings as preliminary, with no hard offers being exchanged. But the gathering of such high-ranking officials suggest that the IOC is getting closer to deciding when to open the bidding process.

Nobody knows when the IOC will begin accepting bids officially.

Some think the IOC will wait till early next year, after Comcast's NBC acquisition is official. However, IOC sources said they may move earlier and beat the NCAA to market if the NCAA decides to pull out of its CBS contract. The theory is that NCAA tourney bidding could suck billions of media rights dollars out of the marketplace.

When asked in late January when the IOC will open bidding, Timo Lumme, director of IOC television and marketing services, said, "The easiest way to answer that question is that the market will kind of tell us." Pressed further about whether a decision had to come before the NCAA possibly opts out, Lumme added, "We'll see. It's part of the overall consideration."

By giving media executives an in-person Olympic experience, IOC executives hope they can turn the pictures NBC is feeding back into the United States into another multibillion-dollar rights fee.

"We had steady increase in the U.S. rights for more than 20 years," Rogge said during a conversation in Lausanne, Switzerland, in late January. "We made a good jump for '10 and '12, Vancouver and London. We are now negotiating in Europe for '14 and '16 and we see no drop in Europe, so there is no reason why there will be a drop in the United States."

Despite the solid television ratings NBC received during the first week of the Games, a deal for the 2014 and 2016 Games won't be easy this year, as media companies already have floated balloons about bringing the rights fee back down.

NBC has admitted that it is losing upward of $200 million on the Vancouver Games. Among other possible suitors, Fox is showing disinterest, ESPN is tempering expectations, and Turner and CBS still haven't committed to a bid

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009
I heard from a source very close to this situation that Cyclone Television Network is willing to outbid anyone for this contract.

Reactions: jsmith86

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
NBC paid way too much. Their coverage is more like commericals with the olympics mixed in.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
NBC paid way too much. Their coverage is more like commericals with the olympics mixed in.

Something north of 800 million, which seems ridiculous for a 2 week event.

http://deadspin.com/5449864/ex+nbc-sports-employee-****-ebersol-is-the-biggest-failure-of-them-all

Last edited:

GoCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I heard from a source very close to this situation that Cyclone Television Network is willing to outbid anyone for this contract.
Unfortunately, all broadcasts will be only in Standard Def, and look like it was recorded it with my 1990's camcorder.

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
I hope ESPN doesn't get the Winter Olympics as a lot of college basketball could get bumped for two weeks.

I would like to see them get the NCAA Tournament. Between all of their networks, every game could be televised in every market.

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
If ESPN wins the bid for the 2014 and 2016 Olympics, they plan to do everything live and not hold all the good events for prime time. And with that, we can all feel justified in our hatred of taped sports.
“I don’t think nonlive is sports fan-friendly,” said John Skipper, ESPN’s executive vice president for content. “It’s hard for me to imagine, in our culture, not showing events live."​
Sandomir also spoke with several NBC executives, including Gary Zenkel, the President of NBC Olympics, who said:
"A tremendous amount of time and experience goes into how we plan the Olympics,” Gary Zenkel, the president of NBC Olympics, said Wednesday from Vancouver. “Quite frankly, we’re pleased with the results. “It’s very challenging to capture the American audience for 17 days,” Zenkel said, “and many of us have been doing this since 1992, some since 1988.”
Oh, man. Skipper just went all, "if he were my boyfriend, I wouldn't disrespect him like that. I'd treat my man right." And then NBC went all, "oh, you think you know more about my man than I do? That's easy for you to say considering you don't even have a boyfriend. I've been doing right by my man for more than 20 years."
To be fair, I'm not exactly sure who the boyfriend is in this scenario. Is it the American viewer? Is it the Olympics? I've confused myself at this point.
What I do know is that this all comes down to money, and while NBC claims that the old "put it in prime time and families will sit down together to watch" model has worked for them – to the tune of 25 million prime time viewers through 12 days of coverage – ESPN can fall back on the point that NBC expects to lose more than $200 million dollars on the Vancouver Games. ESPN thinks that the future is a far more on-demand – as in "we demand on being shown live sports" – world than NBC does.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I could see them showing everything live on the ESPN networks and having ABC do what NBC does with live+some replays in the evening.

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
I wonder if they would do kinda what NBC did with summer olympics and try to get some of the more high profile events moved to the mornings so that they would be live at night here

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I wonder if they would do kinda what NBC did with summer olympics and try to get some of the more high profile events moved to the mornings so that they would be live at night here
Sochi russia is way different time-zone wise than beijjing was though. 6pm-midnight central time is 3am-9am in Sochi. I dont see how you air much of anything live for sochi. You could maybe air some programming thats filmed in the evening in sochi during the day in the US.

Rio might work better, as its only a couple hours ahead of here.

Last edited: