Cubs win arbitration vs Theroit.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It's a nod to Latrell Sprewell.

I've included an excerpt from Wiki if you are not familiar with the incident:

"On October 31, 2004, the Minnesota Timberwolves offered Sprewell a 3-year, $21 million contract extension, substantially less than what his then-current contract paid him. Insulted, he publicly vented his outrage, declaring, "I have a family to feed." He declined the extension, and, having once more drawn the ire of fans and sports media, had the worst season of his career in the final year of his contract."

I didn't think I could use the exact quote because as far as I know TheRiot is still single.

Sorry, I'm in Minnesota and just about everyone up here would instantly know what I was referencing...

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I'm glad for Ryan...I wish he would have won his case but he certainly deserves at least $2.6 million.

He does have a wife and kids...they are really cute kids too. He is 30 years old. He spent a lot of years in the minors making squat and has been very underpaid by the Cubs in the last 2-3 years for the production he has had. It is likely that he only has about 3-5 more years to play.

I hope this helps set him up for the rest of his life. He is a great guy from a great family. I always like to see great guys do well.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Don't get me wrong, I like TheRiot. I just thought the fact that he lost the arbitration and is getting only $2,600,000 per year begged the quote.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Ryan is a winner and he is going to do whatever is asked of him. They ask him to play some OF...he'll do it. They ask him to provide some more power like they did last year and he'll do it. Piniella was the perfect manager for Ryan because he rewards guys that produce. The $2.6 is a one year deal so I hope Ryan has a great year and gets a $3+ deal for 4 or 5 years.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Ryan is a winner and he is going to do whatever is asked of him. They ask him to play some OF...he'll do it. They ask him to provide some more power like they did last year and he'll do it. Piniella was the perfect manager for Ryan because he rewards guys that produce. The $2.6 is a one year deal so I hope Ryan has a great year and gets a $3+ deal for 4 or 5 years.

The way he works and produces, I think he has a good shot at a better deal next year. I love this guy to death.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Hopefully they will be moving him over to 2nd next season. His range isn't the greatest for a SS but as a 2nd baseman with his bat skills he would be a huge upgrade

I think this 19 year old phenom SS that will be in AAA this year is "the future"...quite likely that this will be Ryan's last year with a lot of time at SS.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

I miss DeRosa...:sad:

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
I think this 19 year old phenom SS that will be in AAA this year is "the future"...quite likely that this will be Ryan's last year with a lot of time at SS.
Sterlin Castro is who your talking about and there has been talk he could break camp with the cubs but most likely they will wait untill Sept if they are in the hunt

tyrelrobert

Oct 18, 2006
West Des Moines,IA

Yeah I hope so too....that is what I was getting at.

I refuse to buy into the Starlin Castro hype just yet.....but I heard an interview with Ryno yesterday and he says he is the real deal. It will be good for Castro to spend some time with Ryno this year

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Yeah I hope so too....that is what I was getting at.

I refuse to buy into the Starlin Castro hype just yet.....but I heard an interview with Ryno yesterday and he says he is the real deal. It will be good for Castro to spend some time with Ryno this year

For a bunch of reasons...including he will likely be his manager for much of his career if he stays with the Cubs.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron