Williams Blog: A Microcosm

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
I don't know if you've ever written anything that I agree with more.

Maybe all of the basketball know-it-alls will finally shut-up about the technical fouls now.

S

st8

"the guy at the top-corner of the upper deck in Hilton Coliseum who is owning a Clone Cone"

that was me, inappropriately going at that clone cone!

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Really good analysis. I just hurt for that group of coaches and players. I wish they could finally get a win, they are so close.

I'm not ready to give up on McDermott. I don't want to get rid of him and then see him a few years lighting it up somewhere else. I know I'm a dwindling minority around here though.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
I have changed my tune on him the last couple of games seeing how hard these guys are playing. I think he gets one more year to try and reverse some of the bad luck.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I don't know if you've ever written anything that I agree with more.

Maybe all of the basketball know-it-alls will finally shut-up about the technical fouls now.

The thing that drives me crazy is the people that assume McDermott sits on his butt the entire game. All you have to do is watch a freaking game and you'll see McDermott is constantly coaching and working the refs. All the freaking time.

Becker

Nov 10, 2006
Cedar Rapids
I read most of your write ups each day, but I would have to say that I disagree with this one....... I do believe that a coach needs to show fire and get after the refs a little when its appropriate. Whether its just to get the fans in the game or make the players feel that you will stick up for them, it needs to happen on occasion. You don't have to go Bob Knight on the refs, but once in a while show some fire.

I also don't think last nights performance was gutty. When I think of a gutty performance I think of two teams going at it all night and one team just getting one extra bounce their way to take the win. Or maybe an underdog going toe to toe with a top team and just running out of gas at the end. Getting behind big to a mid Big 12 team, making a run, and choking at the end is not gutty. However, that is what we've come to expect this season.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
CW: "One random player goes off for the other team."
You'd better look at the second half tape. Once they figured out we weren't going to chase him around and fight or switch through screens, OSU gave Muonelo all he could eat.
Sure, he was hot, but he had tons of open shots. You'd think our defense would adjust (like maybe get on him) after he hit a couple.
Anyway, a lot more to it than "a random player goes off."

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I read most of your write ups each day, but I would have to say that I disagree with this one....... I do believe that a coach needs to show fire and get after the refs a little when its appropriate. Whether its just to get the fans in the game or make the players feel that you will stick up for them, it needs to happen on occasion. You don't have to go Bob Knight on the refs, but once in a while show some fire.

I also don't think last nights performance was gutty. When I think of a gutty performance I think of two teams going at it all night and one team just getting one extra bounce their way to take the win. Or maybe an underdog going toe to toe with a top team and just running out of gas at the end. Getting behind big to a mid Big 12 team, making a run, and choking at the end is not gutty. However, that is what we've come to expect this season.

He does show fire.....THAT IS THE POINT. You don't need a T to show fire. In fact what got him last nights T was no different that what he does on a regular basis. WATCH HIM DURING A GAME. Sometimes, I think he knows the game so well that he only argues when the call is crap and the crap official knows it so they give him a lot of room to make his point. Another example of this last night was when Justin picked up his 3rd foul and he said "No f-ing way" to the ref. The ref did not T him up perhaps because he knew he had given Justin what I like to call the 'tall white kid' call which was crap.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
McDermott doesn’t need to get a technical to make fans feel better or to prove that he cares about winning….BUT….he does need to show a little emotion on the sideline at times to get the crowd into it and to let his players feed off the crowd. That crowd got as loud as it has been in a while after his technical. It was just what they needed

Reactions: Wesley

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
CW: "One random player goes off for the other team."
You'd better look at the second half tape. Once they figured out we weren't going to chase him around and fight or switch through screens, OSU gave Muonelo all he could eat.
Sure, he was hot, but he had tons of open shots. You'd think our defense would adjust (like maybe get on him) after he hit a couple.
Anyway, a lot more to it than "a random player goes off."
We had to hedge...if we switched, he would have had an iso against Ham, not exactly a fair match in the quickness category.

Reactions: ChrisMWilliams

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny

We'll get blasted but I agree with you here. Going hard for 30 minutes a game isn't gutty. Going hard for 40 minutes every game is expected. We have a thin bench? So what. Some of our best teams had no bench. And it's not like we're the only team in the Big 12 that is only playing 8 or 9 guys right now.

It's just annoying because I keep hearing how hard these guys are playing, we're so undermanned, the deck is stacked against us, etc etc etc... Do they play hard? Yeah...for some of the time. Hell, maybe even for most of the time. They lose because of the lapses when they don't. In MY opinion, the only guy I saw last night that didn't have a lapse in how hard he played was Scotty, the guy on our team that has mono. O and I guess I thought Ham played pretty hard too last night.

Last edited:

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I do agree with what you posted Chris...at least for the most part.

Van Coleman today on 1700 the champ stated that Greg Mac will be back next year, but that if players keep leaving the program it will probably doom gmac as isu's bball coach.

I think that greg mcdermott can coach and x and o with the best of them but, I just think that greg cannot recruit well enough to stay on this level.

Just my opinion and only my opinion.

I think mcdermott will be back next year even if he does NOT WIN another game!!

Reactions: Wesley

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
We had to hedge...if we switched, he would have had an iso against Ham, not exactly a fair match in the quickness category.

It wasn't "hedging" at all - it was a lack of effort. Hamilton has to pick him up, then get up tight and force him to drive or pass - help defense is designed for this. You could see CB getting frustrated as teammates weren't helping on picks.
When a player is hot, job #1 is to shut the water off. Instead, we watch him shoot.

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
It wasn't "hedging" at all - it was a lack of effort. Hamilton has to pick him up, then get up tight and force him to drive or pass - help defense is designed for this. You could see CB getting frustrated as teammates weren't helping on picks.
When a player is hot, job #1 is to shut the water off. Instead, we watch him shoot.
Wasn't hedging? If he hedged any harder, Pilgrim/Moses would have just slipped it and had an easy dunk. If our help D recovered, Anderson and Paige would have had wide open threes on the opposite pass.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009

Some of you people just blow my mind. Do you not watch the games or are you just not cognitively able to process what an angry person looks like. HE IS YELLING AT REFS ALL THE TIME! Man I'd hoped you people would've finally shut up after he got the T everyone's been begging for and it practically lost the game for us. Of all the things you have to complain about, please don't choose this if you don't want to prove you don't know what you're talking about.

End vent.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007

The problem is that Hamilton is the only one on our team that understands help defense. If his guy gets around him then we are screwed

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron