Here's what I believe

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Not that anyone cares, but I believe once GMac gets a winning team and a postseason birth, that it will continue on a frequent basis and become the foundation of another long stretch of success for ISU.

He certainly hasn't gotten it done yet. I'd like to give him 2 (maybe 3) more years to get it done.

I think the odds are better that GMac gets there and keeps us there than the liklihood of bringing in a new coach to get us there or use us as a stepping stone if he does get us there...thus putting us right back at square 1.

It sucks, but the better bet is to continue with GMac for 2 or 3 more years. If, at that point, we aren't where we want to be at least we can afford to buy him out and go in a different direction.

Patience is a virtue.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Not that anyone cares, but I believe once GMac gets a winning team and a postseason birth, that it will continue on a frequent basis and become the foundation of another long stretch of success for ISU.

He certainly hasn't gotten it done yet. I'd like to give him 2 (maybe 3) more years to get it done.

I think the odds are better that GMac gets there and keeps us there than the liklihood of bringing in a new coach to get us there or use us as a stepping stone if he does get us there...thus putting us right back at square 1.

It sucks, but the better bet is to continue with GMac for 2 or 3 more years. If, at that point, we aren't where we want to be at least we can afford to buy him out and go in a different direction.

Patience is a virtue.

Patience is not a virtue, it is an excuse to be passive. Otherwise I see your point and possibly agree.

Reactions: ISUAgronomist

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

Patience is a virtue.

I wont disagree, but I question if McDermott will ever have a winning team or a postseason birth.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
agreed, totally agree.. there is not a better option right now at all... we do not have boone pickens on our side, and i cant think of a coach out there that we know would be better that would take the job... Greg, get it done!

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless
It would makes things alot easier if he would start showing some progress or even get a few hard wins against some good teams. Currently I don't see anything that he or the team has done that would suggest that by giving him more time things will improve. Honestly after four years one would think that there could be something to give hope towards things improving, sadly there is none.

I don't understand how giving anymore time will change things. I guess I would feel different if I saw a team that consistently dug down and fought hard for a win instead of seemingly just going through the motions and MELTING time and time again in the second half.

He certainly hasn't earned anything yet.

Reactions: CY ST8T

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Patience is a virtue.

This is what I think:

1. It costs too much money to buy out McDermott
2. It would cost 2.5 or 3 times what we are currently paying McDermott to get a coach that would be an obvious step up.
3. I think he has put us into position to win a lot of games. We haven't done that. That falls on both him AND the players.
4. No one wanted this job in 2003 and not many wanted it in 2006. Not sure why we think anyone would be knocking down the door to come to a school where since 1993 or so no coach has lasted more than 5 years.
5. Despite the cess pool that is this season, I've still enjoyed going to Hilton almost every night. It's still been fun for me.
6. I think a player like Ham is kind of the future of the program. He was close to leaving last year. I wonder if McDermott gets the boot if he would leave this year. Of course, if McDermott stays we probably lose Colvin.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
patience/passive isnt always bad... depends on what and who and where you are... there are lots of times one shouldnt jump ship instantly in many areas of life, and times one should.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I wont disagree, but I question if McDermott will ever have a winning team or a postseason birth.

As do I....all I am saying is the better bet is to let it play out a couple more years. If he gets there, I think he will be able to maintain. If he is able to maintain, we know he will stay for the long haul as well.

What I don't know is what another coaching change at this point will do for the program. It could improve it or make it worse. If it did improve it, it might be a 2 year run only to land us back at square 1 because said coach leaves for greener pastures.

I BELIEVE we are better off letting GMac have a bit more time as much as some may not be able to stand that.

Last edited:

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Why do people believe Gmac is going to be able to maintain a stable and/or successful program when all available facts from the past 4 years indicate that he will not?

People keep preaching stability on this guy... but our program has been the opposite of stable since he became our head coach.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Why do people believe Gmac is going to be able to maintain a stable and/or successful program when all available facts from the past 4 years indicate that he will not?

People keep preaching stability on this guy... but our program has been the opposite of stable since he became our head coach.

Success (winning) will equal more stability. The two would go hand in hand. He hasn't had it yet because he hasn't been able to win. Will he ever win? Who knows, but if he can, there would be good things in store for a long time to come IMO.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Patience is not a virtue, it is an excuse to be passive. Otherwise I see your point and possibly agree.

I disagree. Take the example of a running back. Many times patience is what separates a good running back from a great back. They have to be patient and wait for their teammates to do their job. Many backs with all of the other gifts but lacking this one never reach their potential. I do agree that you also have to have the wisdom to know when the time for being patient is over and it is time to act - and act decisively.

My point is that patience has it's place.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

Patience is a virtue.

The guy is going to end up with 3 conference wins this year. THREE. This is supposedly his best team and it implodes on itself with a sub-.500 record. He's lost the team and lost the program. IMO he'll never get it done at ISU. Four years and not even sniffing the NIT??? If money weren't an issue, I'd want him fired tomorrow. Unfortunately, it is an issue, so I'm willing to watch another season of crap to save some cash.

tamjam

Apr 18, 2008
Pants-free Avenue
I completely disagree with those of you that say that by keeping coach McD we would have a better chance at having a winning program sooner than getting a new guy in here. You have absolutely no facts to back this up. Look at the past four years? McD has not produced 1 upset win or memorable win. There has not been one game where I was able to say at the end, "We weren't as talented as that other team, but we got the win because we out worked them." That is what a coach is going to have to do to win here and that is also was McD has shown he hasn't been able to do.

Here's the way I look at it. We can keep McD around for a few more years, knowing that he's not going to get it turned around, or we can bring in a new guy and have a chance at turning it around.

chrishull14

Jan 31, 2007
Cyclone City
I really think 2 years from now would be a good time for evaluating the Men's basketball team. If Coach is still here: Ham, Buck, Scottie will be seniors; Colvin, Oliver, Palo, Dorr are juniors; plus underclassmen and transfers. I think comparing Aldrich and Collins this year to Ham and Colvin in 2 years is fair. Coach will be fully removed from the mess he started with, and the team leaders will have been in the system together for 3+ years.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I believe once GMac gets a winning team and a postseason birth, that it will continue on a frequent basis and become the foundation of another long stretch of success for ISU.

Based on?

What makes you think that he can get it done? We have not had a winning conference record yet. And this year, with Brackins and Gilstrap - we've won just 2 conference games there is a better than good chance we will finish below .500on the season. What part of that spells "year 5 and more"?

Again, what is this based on? Continuity? Sure, it's proven that continuity can lead to success. It's also proven that holding onto a coach too long that can win at that level just further delays the improvement process. I'd be all for continuity in this case if I was seeing improvements in the team/program. I'm not, at all. With exception to a few individual player improvements, there has been no progress made in this 4 year tenure.

Again, what is the "it's better to continue with GMac" based on? And at what cost? Stick with him long enough to make the buyout affordable - but in the process we continue to lose (making this assumption because we have not yet won with him and lose key people going into next season)? And during that more fans decide to do other things with their time and money?

Patience is a virtue.

And so are...

Intuition: Mine says this isn't going to work
Acceptance: I've accepted that while I like Greg and think he's a good coach, it's not working here
Impartiality: I'm able to see through my Cyclone colored glasses to the reality of the dire situation we are in
Excellence: We don't have it

Reactions: tamjam
S

st8

lets let it go boys, we've got a spring game coming up!!

just be glad we've got the ladies to cheer for in the tourney