Anyone watching Pakistan?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
The recent events in Pakistan bear watching closely. The ISI, Pakistan's intelligence service, has never been completely on board with Musharraf. If they stage a coup, and set up an extremist Islamic government, I would bet good money that we would intervene. If not us, India almost certainly would. Best case scenario, Musharraf asks us for covert help, allowing us to root out Al Qaida from their tribal regions. That is, assuming that he isn't allowing this already.

mark

Apr 14, 2006
What leads you to believe that the ISI would set up an Islamic government?

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
Definitely of interest. There is no way we would allow an extremist government to take hold in Pakistan as it is a nuclear power. I predict we will funnel them money and arms to the extent needed to prevent this. It may also be useful in getting Musharraf to allow incursions into the northern part of the country to root out insurgents.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Wow, can we get in a few more wars...

2 years from now we will also be in Iran

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006

Yeah... Iran would be a very bad idea. I view Pakistan a bit differently though. One reason being that it is already a well established nuclear power. The other being that we are already in Afghanistan and taking the fight to northern Pakistan makes sense since that is where most of the enemy is based out of. If we can do it with the blessing of Pakistan's government that would be great.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Definitely of interest. There is no way we would allow an extremist government to take hold in Pakistan as it is a nuclear power. I predict we will funnel them money and arms to the extent needed to prevent this. It may also be useful in getting Musharraf to allow incursions into the northern part of the country to root out insurgents.

This has always been a good plan for us in the past (see afganistan and iraq).

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
What leads you to believe that the ISI would set up an Islamic government?
They are the ones that set up the Taliban in the first place, and funded al Qaida to combat India in the disputed Kashmir region. I know that getting involved in a civil war in Pakistan along with what we need to do with Iran is not something we want, but certain circumstances could make it necessary. Believe me, India would not allow it to stand, one way or the other, and I don't think we want Islamic extremists with control of nuclear weapons. The most likely scenario in that event would be providing logistical support, along with surveillance and intelligence to the Pakistani government to make sure they win.

herbiedoobie

Jan 3, 2007
Germany
Actually, the US has had pretty uniform success in the past, when it comes to funnelling arms, advisors and money to an already established gov't. There have been some failures, but you'd be surprised how many of these kinds of fights we've won.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA

That's who's *** should have been kicked before we got into it with Saddam. Hell he probably would have helped and then we could have just taken care of him when we were done with Iran.

joepublic

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
I saw or read last week that al qaeda has already infiltrated the lower ranks of the Pakistani army.

On a side note, on either Fox or CNN this weekend one of the commentators was saying that Saudis comprise 45% of the bad guy fighters in Iraq. I always thought the neo cons let Saudia Arabia off way to easy for their indirect funding of 911.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
I saw or read last week that al qaeda has already infiltrated the lower ranks of the Pakistani army.

On a side note, on either Fox or CNN this weekend one of the commentators was saying that Saudis comprise 45% of the bad guy fighters in Iraq. I always thought the neo cons let Saudia Arabia off way to easy for their indirect funding of 911.
I believe that Saudi Arabia has cracked down hard on their extremist elements, but has kept it as quiet as possible. The Saudi's have been a strong, though pretty silent partner of the United States for a long time. I just read in a Reagan biography that they admitted about 8 or 9 years ago that they helped the US put the finishing touches on the USSR in the 80's by flooding the market with oil, causing a worldwide drop in oil prices. This severely lowered the cash on hand for the Soviets, helping lead to their eventual collapse. They did this in spite of heavy pressure from their neighbors and other allies. They certainly have been part of the problem, but I believe they are working to rectify that.

herbiedoobie

Jan 3, 2007
Germany
The problem with Saudi Arabia is almost an inverse of Iran: In Iran, the leadership is the major problem, with plenty of pro-western population being repressed by the leadership. In Saudi, the leadership is extremely friendly to the US and the West, while the population is pretty anti-western.

Because of this, Saudi leadership has to walk very carefully to just stay in power and stay alive. A Saudi democracy would be an unmitigated disaster for us.

I have no idea how Musharref is still alive and in power. While the western part of Pakistan is fairly pro-west to neutral, the east part is fundamentally AQ-land. And rugged enough in terrain that military operations there would be expensive and futile.

I was a big fan of the "take out Saddam and leave" strategy. The fear was that Iran would then move in and take over, which I think would've been disastrous for Iran, once they realized that their Muslim Brothers hate them more than they hate the West. It would be really nice to be kicking back, right now, and watching Iran fight an unwinnable insurgency war in Iraq, rather than watching us do the same thing.