It's all recruiting

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
We're getting out-athleted by nearly all of the B12. aTm, Baylor, K-State and Tech used to be our whipping boys but that's all changed. Those rosters are no longer filled with bad players.

Our guys would be in the top half of the big12 easily with this roster 4 or 5 season ago when the above teams had 1/3 the talent they do now.

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
It has been said before by a few posters, McDermotts inablity to recruit and keep quality guards has killed him in his tenure at Iowa State.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
I disagree. As I said in response to a similar post in another thread, we are being out-recruited AND out-coached. Those things are a bad combination.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
Having good players beat's good coaching most of the time.

I don't necessarily disagree. However, even if we had top-3 talent in the B12, I would not trust McDermott to use it properly or have the ability to put that talent in a position to win.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
Regarding our "talent," particularly in the backcourt, here's how we stack up against the rest of the big12.

There are four teams with at least TWO McD's AA in the guard court: KU, TX, OU and BAY. In total, there are NINE McDs AA's guards in the big12 (James Anderson of OSU the last one).

IMHO, there are 7 guards who are likely NBA draftees: Collins, Henry, Taylor (KU), Anderson (OSU), Warren, TMG (OU), and Bradley (TX).

(Ironic that OU has two NBA draft picks in the guard court and they won't make the tourney.)

Look at how good the guards are on teams who weren't McD's AA or likely NBA picks:
Mizz: Tiller, English, Taylor, Denmon, Dixon (Elite eight last year)
A&M: Sloan, Holmes, Roland, Harris (Roland out, but 4 straight ncaa's)
KSU: Pullen, Clemente, McGruder (are there two better than pullen and clemente?)

And lastly, both TTech and CU have PGs that could go off for 25+ any night (Roberson and Higgins).

Sure, we have "talent." But in today's big12, we still have a long way to go.

Reactions: The_Architect

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Regarding our "talent," particularly in the backcourt, here's how we stack up against the rest of the big12.

There are four teams with at least TWO McD's AA in the guard court: KU, TX, OU and BAY. In total, there are NINE McDs AA's guards in the big12 (James Anderson of OSU the last one).

IMHO, there are 7 guards who are likely NBA draftees: Collins, Henry, Taylor (KU), Anderson (OSU), Warren, TMG (OU), and Bradley (TX).

(Ironic that OU has two NBA draft picks in the guard court and they won't make the tourney.)

Look at how good the guards are on teams who weren't McD's AA or likely NBA picks:
Mizz: Tiller, English, Taylor, Denmon, Dixon (Elite eight last year)
A&M: Sloan, Holmes, Roland, Harris (Roland out, but 4 straight ncaa's)
KSU: Pullen, Clemente, McGruder (are there two better than pullen and clemente?)

And lastly, both TTech and CU have PGs that could go off for 25+ any night (Roberson and Higgins).

Sure, we have "talent." But in today's big12, we still have a long way to go.

This is a fantastic post and show's the strides those "traditionally bad" programs have made. I think we are all guilty of still considering these teams the bottom feeders. They all have better players than us, especially in the back-court.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
We need guards that can dribble and take a jump shot. Its easy to guard our guards, because everyone knows they are going to either go for layups or pass.

We also need guards that can finish in one on one situation. We had least three occasion where our guards failed to score in one on one fast break situation.

If we could add Mike Taylor/Curtis Stinson to this mix, now we are talking.

cyclo120

Apr 11, 2006
I think we are as athletic as most teams in conference with are top 7, are guys just aren't as good of basektball players. We need to mix athleticism with guys who have a certain basektball skill set to make a team that can win games.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
I think we should just start recruiting Queens again.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
I think we should just start recruiting Queens again.

Who in our brain trust of coaches even has any sort of a connection to out east? Uh, nobody.

Again, I want Montgomery from Mich. State to be the next coach. I hate MSU...because of 2000, but man...they win and have been successful. Montgomery is their top assistant....and a new gig in the B12 would be an excellent start. He would have connections to Michigan Preps (Detroit-Flint) and they have assistants from out east as well......(where we used to recruit.)

Time for a major Change in AMES!!

DeBruzzio

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Fort Dodge native
Who in our brain trust of coaches even has any sort of a connection to out east? Uh, nobody.

Again, I want Montgomery from Mich. State to be the next coach. I hate MSU...because of 2000, but man...they win and have been successful. Montgomery is their top assistant....and a new gig in the B12 would be an excellent start. He would have connections to Michigan Preps (Detroit-Flint) and they have assistants from out east as well......(where we used to recruit.)

Montgomery is Spartan Alumnus. Probably coach in waiting, similar to Izzo succeeding Jud Heathcote.

Why do you hate MSU because of 2000. The officials are the reason we lost that game. Talk to any MSU fan and they will acknowledge they were lucky to escape with a win in the true 2000 Championship game.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Montgomery is Spartan Alumnus. Probably coach in waiting, similar to Izzo succeeding Jud Heathcote.

Why do you hate MSU because of 2000. The officials are the reason we lost that game. Talk to any MSU fan and they will acknowledge they were lucky to escape with a win in the true 2000 Championship game.

Oh, I know he is a Sparty Alum. Do you really think Izzo will be stepping down in 5-10 years? I don't think so....he is the conference's "Bob Knight" right now. Montgomery should sharpen his skills here in Ames. Then, when the time is right....he could return to Sparty.

DeBruzzio

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Fort Dodge native
Oh, I know he is a Sparty Alum. Do you really think Izzo will be stepping down in 5-10 years? I don't think so....he is the conference's "Bob Knight" right now. Montgomery should sharpen his skills here in Ames. Then, when the time is right....he could return to Sparty.

That would work for me!!

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
I also think that Grayer could be on Staff with Montgomery. Let there be no mistake....I am sure that our alumni, the ones that really put in some extra time and money into the ISU program have been in Pollard's ear very recently about the possibility of a coaching change..(Grayer - Thompson, etc)...and it needs to happen this year. If he is let go, it will be because of them....and someone footing part of the bill.

Montgomery could use an old ISU alum that has often spoke about interest in ISU's program. Enter Jeff Grayer. There would be a nice connection for Monte to work with....no less a Flint, MI legend. If our AD was smart....I would look in this direction for a new coach....staff...etc. Those used to be our old recruinting grounds. (Ask Orr.) And, I know that Izzo has respect for ISU because of that 2000 game. He knows ISU has an excellent fan base, much like theirs....and are a sleeping giant. We just need new leadership.....and I like Montgomery for the job.