Big Ten going after...

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I just don't see it.

BTN or not, crappy Big XII tv deal or not - Texas has this conference in it's back pocket.

Not to mention the logistics of it all.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
for this to happen there would have to be a really big shoe horn

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
I just don't see it.

BTN or not, crappy Big XII tv deal or not - Texas has this conference in it's back pocket.

Not to mention the logistics of it all.

I saw a stat that said last year Texas made something like $12 million from Big 12 TV.

With the Big Ten, they would make $22 million at the very least.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Regardless of whether this happens or not, changes are certainly going to be taking place in the landscape of College sports. ISU needs to do everything possible to be ready and be attractive enough to remain in a BCS conference.

The MAJOR thing ISU can do in the short(er) term to increase attractiveness is to, quite frankly, perform the necessary work on JTS (bowling of endzone). At least this would signal that we are prepared to invest money in BCS-level sports, and get our stadium to begin looking like a major college stadium, rather than a texas junior high stadium.

I know we are all fatigued about the stadium expansion stuff, but seriously, this is what needs to be done VERY SOON.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I agree, if anything UT is just using this as leverage to make sure the BXII stays in their pocket.

And if so, i say call their bluff and say good riddance. Sub in TCU for texas. We'd still have the Texas TV markets

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Yeah. Texas would be scared off by travel costs.:skeptical:

That's a two way street however.

Think Minnesota, Northwestern, Illinois, even Iowa is all that anxious to send all their teams down there? And it's not football alone. All the minor sports (softball, baseball, tennis, swimming).

I rather doubt there's much merit to this story.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
And if so, i say call their bluff and say good riddance. Sub in TCU for texas. We'd still have the Texas TV markets

is this a joke? do you honestly think TCU has as much of a following or can bring in the money that Texas does?

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
I saw a stat that said last year Texas made something like $12 million from Big 12 TV.

With the Big Ten, they would make $22 million at the very least.

Just to clarify, that's not from the BTN alone; that's the combined figure from the the Big 10's contracts with ESPN/ABC, and the BTN.

I'm not sure if I agree with the logistics argument either. Teams travel across the country all the time.

CloneAggie

Oct 21, 2006
HA HA HA! That's rich. You can't seriously be comparing TCU with UT in terms of the Texas TV markets. Do you think the Big 12 could get rid of ISU and add Drake and still have the Iowa TV markets?

clones26

Nov 8, 2006
Urbandale
when this happens let me know because I will be expecting a call from Megan Fox because HELL HAS FROZEN OVER!

hell-frozen-over.jpg

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So let's say hypothetically, this were to happen. Would this be good or bad for ISU? The Big12 isn't going to collapse from this and it wouldn't be too hard to find another Southern school (TCU, Arkansas) that is willing to join. The conference may take a step back for a few years, but in the end I think this makes the conference as a whole stronger.

Also, I guess my biggest worry about all of this is that the Big10 decides to take both Missouri and Nebraska which very well could blow up the Big12. I think that the Southern teams would consider adding a few teams to restart a Southwestern type conference. That would leave ISU, Colorado, KU, and KSU in a bind and I think that the other three teams would have an easier road to find another conference. This is of course a worst case scenario for ISU, but I don't think it would be far fetched if NU and MU do indeed leave. By taking Texas, this would probably be off the table.