Bob Knight said it best last night.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

LakeHavasu

Mar 27, 2006
Lake Havasu City, AZ 86406
Last night during the Texas - Kansas game, Bob Knight made a comment about the Texas point guard. He said the Texas point guard is not a good shooter and the other teams defense does not consider him a threat so they sag off him and take away the passing lanes.

That is the same problem ISU has with Garret (sp?). While I think he is a serviceable point guard, he does not strike fear in the minds of our opposition. He is not a great shooter and he is not quick enough to take it to the defender when he backs off him.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
Last night during the Texas - Kansas game, Bob Knight made a comment about the Texas point guard. He said the Texas point guard is not a good shooter and the other teams defense does not consider him a threat so they sag off him and take away the passing lanes.

That is the same problem ISU has with Garret (sp?). While I think he is a serviceable point guard, he does not strike fear in the minds of our opposition. He is not a great shooter and he is not quick enough to take it to the defender when he backs off him.
Well stated. Simple question, what does he bring to the table?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Unless DG becomes a 10-25 ft shooting threat or else a super dish man underneath, we need Colvin to take over at PG. Too bad Colvin does not shoot more from outside though.

We are at a crossroads.

We need more offense out of the backcourt. Lucca defection was a big hurt.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
yup, double yup, and triple yup... plus we dont have sg that strikes fear either... scott c hits good % from beyond the arc, but whens the last time he scored 20 pts? exactly... we have 0 guards, 00000000 that strike fear in anyone.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
This is why I liked Stinson so much. Although on paper Blalock was the pg, I always saw the two as interchangeable parts, and Stinson wasn't a great shooter. But he was strong enough to create in and around the paint, something Garrett just can't do.

Stinson proved that if you aren't the best shooting pg, you had better be tough enough to work the lane.

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
I hear him say that too last night and immediately thought of DG. It makes a lot of sense and must be why he's having trouble with entry passes to CB.

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
This is why I liked Stinson so much. Although on paper Blalock was the pg, I always saw the two as interchangeable parts, and Stinson wasn't a great shooter. But he was strong enough to create in and around the paint, something Garrett just can't do.

Stinson proved that if you aren't the best shooting pg, you had better be tough enough to work the lane.

Stinson was so clever in the lane too. He wasn't the greatest shooter but he just knew how to score and score at big times.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Its really a tough spot for any future point guards for Iowa State. They will always be compared to Tinsley and Stinson, two of the best Iowa State has ever had.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

Your completely right. DB isn't a good ball handler/passer (relative to most Big 12 PGs) and he isn't a good shooter either (relative to anyone). They give him so much space and do not fear him. Now that Lucca is gone, if SC isn't hitting his 3's they don't have any fear of either of our starting guards... not a good thing.

Our frontcourt has been fine for the most part the past 3 years, but our guard court just kills us.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Its really a tough spot for any future point guards for Iowa State. They will always be compared to Tinsley and Stinson, two of the best Iowa State has ever had.

I don't understand why it's so tough. Why is it any more difficult for the guards being compared to Tinsley and Stinson than it would be for any other player to be compared to the Mayor, Cato, Fizer, Homan' Vroman, etc.?

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Actually both DG and Colvin shoot about 37-38% from the 3-pt line. I actually think DG is a little better shooter from 3-pt range and Colvin a better shooter in the 10-15 foot range.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Stinson was so strong he could bully the guard defending him. The defender would get pushed around when Stinson drove to the basket. He was also just enough of a threat at the 3 pointer that the other team had to respect his shot.

JJ4ISU

Apr 11, 2006
WDM Side of Waukee
Definitely in college basketball, and maybe in all of basketball, the point guard is the most important position on the court. That player must be a great all-around player...shooting, dribbling, decision making, defense, etc. The best teams have really good point guards. Our best teams had good/great point guards! We don't have that now.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
Props for being able to listen to Knight/Musburger. They are terrible.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Props for being able to listen to Knight/Musburger. They are terrible.

Knight is great. He may talk to much but he knows the game better than anyone else in the business

I said when we played Texas (and they were ranked #1) that they would struggle to make the elite 8. Balbay is a liability on offense and unless someone else steps up on offense they are going nowhere fast

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
That's why Collins is nearly impossible to guard. He can shoot plus he can get to the hole as well as pass. This creates so many opportunities for his teammates. Granted, he's an All-American type.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
That's why Collins is nearly impossible to guard. He can shoot plus he can get to the hole as well as pass. This creates so many opportunities for his teammates. Granted, he's an All-American type.

Don't ever say a nice thing about Collins again!!! :jimlad:

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
He knows the game but he doesn't do his homework. He constantly gets the players wrong and looks for moments where he can show off his coaching knowledge to the point that he misses half of what's going on in front of him. And Musburger just needs to retire and let people remember the talent he used to be. ESPN needs a shot of youth.