Quote at Big 12 media

isuforlife

Sep 6, 2007
Quote sheet
• Iowa State coach Greg McDermott, when he drew no questions on Monday’s Big 12 teleconference: “That’s OK. I didn’t have any good answers anyway.’’

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
He's starting to sound like the guy that has had so many things go wrong for him over the last four years that he has nothing left to say. Say what you want about his coaching, but I don't think there's a guy coaching over the last four years that has had more bad luck and has had more go wrong for him than McDermott.

Reactions: DRCHIRO

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Quote sheet
• Iowa State coach Greg McDermott, when he drew no questions on Monday’s Big 12 teleconference: “That’s OK. I didn’t have any good answers anyway.’’

That's a pretty good quip.

However, the real problem is that ISU MBB is so irrelevant no one is even paying attention to us.

Reactions: nickcyv

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
So, it's just like it's always been then...

Always and never are strong words.

I remember in 1986 when SI picked us to make the Final Four after beating Michigan to get to the Sweet 16.

I remember when Marcus Fizer was on the cover of SI in March of 2000.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Just because we had good teams doesn't mean we had tons of national attention.

When you go toe to toe with Kansas for a long stretch like ISU did, you get attention. When you made it to the NCAA tourney as much as ISU did, you get attention. When your coach is hired to coach the Bulls, you have gotten attention.

ISU will NEVER get the attention that Duke, Kansas or Kentucky gets. If you can't see that ISU used to relevant and now the press will not even ask our head coach anything that is a problem. I hope Pollard has noticed this as opposed to kool-aid drinking fans thinking the coach needs 'more time.'

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
People analyze Greg's quotes more than Ben Bernake and the Fed statement. So rediculous.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Quote sheet

You know something else......during Iowa State media day, Greg opens up with a VERY detailed summary of each player, the team, the schedule, the conference, etc. It takes about 20 minutes. After he does that the local media usually has to reach to ask any relevent questions. I'm guessing he opened up with a long statement at Big 12 media day too.

Enginerd

Apr 11, 2006
I am sick of people putting the program down in some kind of defense of this or any other coach. We are not talking a conference call with Jay Bilas or Dickie V. This was a Big 12 media conference call. To even hint that ISU (post Johnny Orr) was not relevant in the Big 8/Big 12 Men's Basketball shows a lack of knowledge of our program's history. I don't think we need to make too much of the call or the quote but it is not a good sign. Like I stated in another thread, we play MU and KU this week and no one has a question for Greg McDermott? BTW, I heard his line on the radio. It was a joke, but it was a self deprecating joke. He was not laughing. It was embarrassing for him and the program.

One more thing, it fairly obvious many that have posted in this thread have not heard the conference call. I suggest trying to listen to it before you start making assumptions.