Is McDermott done recruiting for 2010?

C

Cyclone42

With two players leaving this season, it only makes sense that we should have two additional openings for 2010. Anyone know if McDermott is recruiting for 2010 still? We have big-time needs for next year, and I don't subscribe to the "bank the scholarships" idea at all. If we have openings, FILL THEM. Get some jucos, like Dendy.

On the other hand, if McD really is done recruiting for 2010, that should tell us something right there...

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
With two players leaving this season, it only makes sense that we should have two additional openings for 2010. Anyone know if McDermott is recruiting for 2010 still? We have big-time needs for next year, and I don't subscribe to the "bank the scholarships" idea at all. If we have openings, FILL THEM. Get some jucos, like Dendy.

On the other hand, if McD really is done recruiting for 2010, that should tell us something right there...

Well I am sure he is keeping his eyes open but he will wait until he knows what is going to happen for sure with Gilstrap and Brackins.

Jack & Hilton

Nov 30, 2007

Is this your first year following Iowa State mens basketball?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

So with the players signed and/or committed for next year, how many scholarships do we have open? I thought we were filled even with Lucca and LA leaving.

McDermott does have to be somewhat careful because there is a very small chance that Brackins come back and a somewhat small chance Gilstrap comes back. Both are unlikely and the coaches have to make sure they have targets or when/if those scholarships open. Also, I find it likely that one of the pg's leaves......I hope not, but Colvin is a wildcard and Buckley may not want to stick aroudn.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
So with the players signed and/or committed for next year, how many scholarships do we have open? I thought we were filled even with Lucca and LA leaving.

McDermott does have to be somewhat careful because there is a very small chance that Brackins come back and a somewhat small chance Gilstrap comes back. Both are unlikely and the coaches have to make sure they have targets or when/if those scholarships open. Also, I find it likely that one of the pg's leaves......I hope not, but Colvin is a wildcard and Buckley may not want to stick aroudn.

I would be surprised if either of those guards left. Buckley only has one more year and no basketball future after that. Colvin is getting more and more time and he will likely be a starter next year if he sticks around. He probably thinks he is an NBA guy so he would think sitting out is holding him back one year from entering. I also think he wants to stay here. Everything I have seen from him has pointed to him staying.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I would be surprised if either of those guards left. Buckley only has one more year and no basketball future after that. Colvin is getting more and more time and he will likely be a starter next year if he sticks around. He probably thinks he is an NBA guy so he would think sitting out is holding him back one year from entering. I also think he wants to stay here. Everything I have seen from him has pointed to him staying.

Buckley is a sophomore who never redshirted, so he actually would have two years if he went somewhere.
Not advocating his leaving, but he would have two years somewhere, whether that's here or elsewhere.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Buckley is a sophomore who never redshirted, so he actually would have two years if he went somewhere.
Not advocating his leaving, but he would have two years somewhere, whether that's here or elsewhere.

I have no clue why I thought he was a junior. Sorry.

hursts

Apr 10, 2006
I'd be willing to bet that we are replacing more than two players after this season. I am still not convinced at all that Colvin will not transfer and there are rumblings that Dendy will not return (not sure what he would do otherwise), but still wouldn't be surprised if he is not back. I could see us losing Gilstrap, Brackins, Dendy, and Colvin. That would leave us with DG, Christopherson, Boozer, VanderBeeken, and Hamilton as a likely starting lineup. Not exactly a a lineup that will put fear into other teams across the Big 12. I'd bet we are recruiting the juco ranks pretty hard right now.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I'd be willing to bet that we are replacing more than two players after this season. I am still not convinced at all that Colvin will not transfer and there are rumblings that Dendy will not return (not sure what he would do otherwise), but still wouldn't be surprised if he is not back. I could see us losing Gilstrap, Brackins, Dendy, and Colvin. That would leave us with DG, Christopherson, Boozer, VanderBeeken, and Hamilton as a likely starting lineup. Not exactly a a lineup that will put fear into other teams across the Big 12. I'd bet we are recruiting the juco ranks pretty hard right now.

Phillips will start next year and if your scenario is true I would bet Ejim starts by the end of the season. FWIW, it doesn't seem like Dendy takes coaching very well. He seems ot get pretty upset when someone tells him he did something wrong. That is why him leaving wouldn't be a huge surprise to me. I haven't heard anything that he will be leaving, I just wouldn't be shocked.

CyRocket

Jan 31, 2007
I guess that I've missed something about Colvin. Why would he leave when it appears he will be the starter next year. He is clearly our best point, although he still lacks the ability to stop penetration.

hursts

Apr 10, 2006
I guess that I've missed something about Colvin. Why would he leave when it appears he will be the starter next year. He is clearly our best point, although he still lacks the ability to stop penetration.
Maybe because he doesn't want to be the last one on the sinking ship that has become Cyclone basketball?

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA

Because all the negative Nancy's on this board assume since he was disciplined for having an attitude issue he won't grow from it and instead he will just hit the road, regardless of what he has said in public.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
Phillips will start next year and if your scenario is true I would bet Ejim starts by the end of the season. FWIW, it doesn't seem like Dendy takes coaching very well. He seems ot get pretty upset when someone tells him he did something wrong. That is why him leaving wouldn't be a huge surprise to me. I haven't heard anything that he will be leaving, I just wouldn't be shocked.

At this point, if the entire team transferred I wouldnt be shocked.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines

Good question. You should ask Wes Johnson.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm sure they are looking but you also don't want to waste a scholarship on someone that isn't a Big 12 caliber player either. If you can find one then sign him but its tough to recruit when a lot of the top talent out there has already signed. I think if we can get Gilstrap back next year you add Ejim, Phillips, and Rainey to the mix that really our biggest need would be another post player which hopefully we can find a JUCO to fill that.

PG: Colvin, DG, Buckley, Palo
SG: Phillips, Christopherson, Boozer, Oliver
SF: Gilstrap, Ejim
PF: Dendy, Rainey
C: Hamilton, Vanderbeeken

Gilstrap could slide to the 4 some even and Ejim, Boozer, and Oliver could play the 3 some. We are a little log jammed at PG and none of them have really impressed but at least Colvin shows some potential to be the guy if he stays here. The key is getting Gilstrap another year and keeping everyone here and healthy which has been a tough task. Not saying this team will light the world on fire but there should be some depth there.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron