Glass Half Full vs. Glass Half Empty

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Biggerstaff

Dec 6, 2009
Glass Half Full - There was a lot to like today about the teams efforts and determination in this game. They played hard, battled and pretty much gave it their best effort. Brackins was tough in all phases of the game and all the rest of the players put forth as much effort as they could. I like these players and I like the coach.

Glass Half Empty - We have a basketball problem and you can point a lot of fingers over the course of games and seasons but ultimately the fingers will end up pointing at the coach. I was having a difficult time putting my finger on what is the problem with Cyclone basketball but I have concluded that our team lacks identity. If you think back to Orr, Floyd, and Eustachy coached teams they all had an identity. Even Morgan's teams had more identity that McD's teams. I think you have to start pointing the finger at the coach. I am high school friends with a woman who's husband his a head assistant in another BCS conference. She said McD has a reputation in coaching circles of not being a hard worker to the degree that he does the basics of the job but is not a fanatic about coaching like many of the ones who are consistent winners. When she said that I translated that as to why ISU teams have a lack of identity under this coach. Now there are plenty of examples of bad luck to point to for this coach but at some point you have to overcome the bad luck and stop making excuses. This coach 13-10/2-6 right now and realistically will only win 2 or 3 more games tops. That is on top of a 15-17/4-12, 14-18/4-12, 15-14/6-10 records. This was his best team personnel-wise since he has been here and the results will be no better. Even if everyone came back next year (and this simply will not happen) he has yet to prove he can win at this level. Our best win this year is a 2OT game at home against a Houston team with an RPI around 80.

I guess we sit back and wait to see what happens next year but repeating the same behavior and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
My glass feel off the table and broke :sad:

I'm not even sure what to make of it right now. The first half today was so much fun to watch and then the same ol' same ol' happens.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
I think the glass is pretty empty, to be honest. I wish these guys played with the same effort all year as they did today. I guarantee they wouldn't have 10 losses.

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
Glass Half Full - There was a lot to like today about the teams efforts and determination in this game. They played hard, battled and pretty much gave it their best effort. Brackins was tough in all phases of the game and all the rest of the players put forth as much effort as they could. I like these players and I like the coach.

Glass Half Empty - We have a basketball problem and you can point a lot of fingers over the course of games and seasons but ultimately the fingers will end up pointing at the coach. I was having a difficult time putting my finger on what is the problem with Cyclone basketball but I have concluded that our team lacks identity. If you think back to Orr, Floyd, and Eustachy coached teams they all had an identity. Even Morgan's teams had more identity that McD's teams. I think you have to start pointing the finger at the coach. I am high school friends with a woman who's husband his a head assistant in another BCS conference. She said McD has a reputation in coaching circles of not being a hard worker to the degree that he does the basics of the job but is not a fanatic about coaching like many of the ones who are consistent winners. When she said that I translated that as to why ISU teams have a lack of identity under this coach. Now there are plenty of examples of bad luck to point to for this coach but at some point you have to overcome the bad luck and stop making excuses. This coach 13-10/2-6 right now and realistically will only win 2 or 3 more games tops. That is on top of a 15-17/4-12, 14-18/4-12, 15-14/6-10 records. This was his best team personnel-wise since he has been here and the results will be no better. Even if everyone came back next year (and this simply will not happen) he has yet to prove he can win at this level. Our best win this year is a 2OT game at home against a Houston team with an RPI around 80.

I guess we sit back and wait to see what happens next year but repeating the same behavior and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

Really??? Do you know Marty's Dentist too?

Seriously, I know college coaches and not one of them have ever questioned Macs work ethic. I've read on here people unhappy with his coaching etc. etc. and I can agree and understand that stance, but that comment about him not working hard is total BS. Read some funny stuff a couple days ago about Mac not knowing X's and O's. Seriously, some of the stuff on here is just silly.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008

Seriously, I know college coaches and not one of them have ever questioned Macs work ethic. I've read on here people unhappy with his coaching etc. etc. and I can agree and understand that stance, but that comment about him not working hard is total BS. Read some funny stuff a couple days ago about Mac not knowing X's and O's. Seriously, some of the stuff on here is just silly.

Coach mac, is that you?

hursts

Apr 10, 2006
Couldn't agree more with the OP. McDermott's teams don't do any one thing great and don't do any one thing terribly (except for free throw shooting this year). We are just pretty mediocre in all phases of the game. If we were a lockdown defensive team we would be able to get through the five minute stretches that we have each game that we cannot overcome. We never are good enough defensively to overcome the 14-2 runs that teams seem to go on every game we play. We are constantly trying to overcome that the rest of the game and don't have enough left in the tank at the end to get the victory. I will give McDermott credit for one thing so far. His team hasn't quit on him yet. They play hard to the very end.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

I agree and that is a pretty big jab to throw at our coach. Saying he lacks effort is pretty serious to me. I have also never heard anything of that.

Biggerstaff

Dec 6, 2009
I know my explanation of my source sounds like one of those my brothers, girlfriends, father's friends lines but I was told that from a person who has access to those types of comments about other coaches. I am not saying it is true but when I am trying to make the point his team's lack identify that comment by her resonated with me. We are all grasping for an understanding of what is happening or not happening with ISU basketball. Point to one thing that gives you hope about this coach leading ISU to consistent upper division bball in the big 12.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I have also never heard anything of that.

Well, that's because you are not high school friends with a woman who's husband is a head assistant in another BCS conference. Duh.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA

I enjoy the irony in this post.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

So, is this an attempt at humor, or do you really not see the hypocrisy here?

isuforlife

Sep 6, 2007
no more koolaid, not in to moral victories , things have to change or ISU men's basketball will be at the botton of the bIg12 forever