Who would you guys rather play for a first game?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
This was from the Trib a few days ago:

CADETS TO ROCKETS. Army should have been the Cyclones' opponent this week.
The Black Knights opted out of their contract without penalty - they'll come to Ames for a game in 2009 -leaving ISU to scramble for a replacement. Toledo was the least scary foe available on a list that included Florida State and Georgia.
"There was not a lot of (opponents) out there that were below .500," McCarney said. "There wasn't any average teams or OK teams."

Personally, I think next year it would be a great game if we could schedule a Florida State or Georgia. I wouldn't want to with this young defense, but the team will return experienced next year and it'd be fun to play an ACC team or another SEC team like Georgia. We don't do that all that often.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Come to think of it, wouldn't it be much easier to break the 35,000+ season ticket mark with a line-up consisting of Florida State, Iowa, Texas, and Oklahoma next year at home?!? That would be awesome. It wouldn't matter if they upped the price of the tickets either as long as we don't collapse as a team this year.

:Shocked:

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Come to think of it, wouldn't it be much easier to break the 35,000+ season ticket mark with a line-up consisting of Florida State, Iowa, Texas, and Oklahoma next year at home?!? That would be awesome. It wouldn't matter if they upped the price of the tickets either as long as we don't collapse as a team this year.

:Shocked:

Talk about a home schedule from hell! LOL

I doubt we'd get a program like FSU, Georgia, etc to visit Ames for a game. Maybe if we did a home-home thing with 'em...but if it's a one-time contract - I'd bet we'd be the road team.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Remember the last time we played florida state? We almost beat them. That was a heartbreaker. I thought we kicked their a#$!

amyk33

Mar 29, 2006
I think the more quality the opponent, the better. Challenge the team early and it will pay off late. The FSU game was so much fun for the fans and really tested the team. Plus, it draws more national attention which is a bonus for recruiting. I wonder how many current recruits saw that ISU/FSU game...and if it impacted their decision. I bet it might have.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
What you dont think so? They played a stellar half and then the second half they had some issues with our superiority =) We played a good game though. Not necessarily an a#$ woopin but it was well done.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I wonder how many current recruits saw that ISU/FSU game...and if it impacted their decision. I bet it might have.

The part about that game that I bet impacted any recruit the most...was after Seneca was stopped short of the goal line on that final play.

First it was quiet.

Then...softly at first...yet quickly getting louder until it took over the stadium....

"ISU! ISU! ISU! ISU!"

Seneca is still laying on the ground where he was tackled...teammates coming over to console and pick him up. The chant continues...

"ISU! ISU! ISU! ISU!"

I still get emotional when I think about that or see a video replay of the end of the game...listening to the fans support their team after a loss.

To me...that alone would recruit about any kid in the country right there.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
What you dont think so?

No, I don't.

They played a stellar half and then the second half they had some issues with our superiority =) We played a good game though. Not necessarily an a#$ woopin but it was well done.

Just like you said...they kicked the snot out of us in the first half. We blew our nose at halftime and beat the snot of out of them in the second.

Pretty much even.

zdorr40

Apr 3, 2006
Des Moines
Visit site
Looks like next year's schedule is tough enough without adding FSU or GA. Vs Iowa, At Toledo, At Knebraska, At Texas Tech, Vs Texas, Vs Oklahoma. Talk about six weeks from hell.

That schedule is even more wretched that this year's.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron