"Pink Games"

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Does anyone else wonder how much money is brought in for breast cancer research with these pink out games?

Is it truly an awareness thing that all the money is spent on? Or do they actually end up making a lot of money for breast cancer research?

Just curious if anyone knew more about the details.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I couldn't tell you about the pink games. But for a bit of reference, I was talking with the head of the Des Moines Livestrong chapter last night. Last spring they did an event with the Iowa Chops where they had special uniforms - similar to today. After the game they auctioned them off and CLEARED over $20K.

So I imagine there's an expectation that they'll make some money.

That's presuming they sell the unis.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Very cool. Especially when you add in all the money spent on pink "3" signs, student T shirts, shoes.. I always wondered if it was actually meant to make money or not.

Good info about the Chops. Thanks guys

I really hope that all these pink games in HS, college end up making a lot of money. It sure seems like a lot is spent on wearing pink.

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006
I'm fairly confident that Nike donated everything to us. I will add this. We have made nearly $2,000 at each of the events we do at our Division III school. Those events have between 500-700 people at them. Imagine how much could be made with 14,000 fans.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I'm fairly confident that Nike donated everything to us. I will add this. We have made nearly $2,000 at each of the events we do at our Division III school. Those events have between 500-700 people at them. Imagine how much could be made with 14,000 fans.

Donations?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Yep, Nike gives the uniforms for free, and everything is auctioned off afterwards I believe, and shouldn't be taxed (or is a write off for somebody) since it's a charitable donation.

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
The shoes, uniforms, and warmups were 100% donations from Nike, and will be auctioned off to charity. The Cyclone Alley t-shirts are paid for by Cyclone Alley. The 3-point signs are typically paid for by a local business; today I assume they were paid for by Athletics, since there's no business name on them.

All the money goes to appropriate charities and research. It's not a conspiracy theory or a money drain.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
The shoes, uniforms, and warmups were 100% donations from Nike, and will be auctioned off to charity. The Cyclone Alley t-shirts are paid for by Cyclone Alley. The 3-point signs are typically paid for by a local business; today I assume they were paid for by Athletics, since there's no business name on them.

All the money goes to appropriate charities and research. It's not a conspiracy theory or a money drain.

I understand that ISU isn't out money. Im just saying for the sake of cancer research, I hope that more money is raised for research than spent on 'pink' things. Thats all.

I thought the pink uniforms looked pretty sweet today. Especially with everythign that Coach Macs family has been through, it was nice Nike used use ot help promote the cause on National TV.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I understand that ISU isn't out money. Im just saying for the sake of cancer research, I hope that more money is raised for research than spent on 'pink' things. Thats all.

Its an advertising prop. Marketing budgets for it. I would assume if they didnt make the money they wouldnt keep up with it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron