Formula for Success....Predictions

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

NWIAclone

Apr 11, 2006
Lake Okoboji
*** Bolt's relentless defense plays motivated and physical all 4 Qtrs and wins the turnover battles

*** McFarland's offense scores enough points to keep things close

*** Shaggy shines and has a great senior year. He is Mr. Automatic and pulls us through in the close games. Culbertson's record breaking year makes him a "Home-State" hero and a sure NFL draft pick

BIG XII NORTH

* Missouri
* IOWA STATE
* Nebraska
* Kansas State
* Kansas
* Colorado

CYCLONES vs HAWKEYES in Alamo Bowl 29Dec2007....make your reservations now:wink0st:

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
*** Shaggy shines and has a great senior year. He is Mr. Automatic and pulls us through in the close games. Culbertson's record breaking year makes him a "Home-State" hero and a sure NFL draft pick

BIG XII NORTH

* Missouri
* IOWA STATE
* Nebraska
* Kansas State
* Kansas
* Colorado

CYCLONES vs HAWKEYES in Alamo Bowl 29Dec2007....make your reservations now:wink0st:

Shaggy an NFL draft choice? Seriously, you have lost it. First off he is a great kicker, he is mr clutch until it is on the line, and then he struggles, but lets put that aside for now.

1. No kickers are ever taken in the draft unless you are a god, like Kaeding or Gramatica.
2. He might be clutch from close, but he does not have the leg the nfl wants, combine Yelks power with Shaggys accuracy, and you MAY have an nfl draft choice.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
BIG XII NORTH

* Missouri
* IOWA STATE
* Nebraska
* Kansas State
* Kansas
* Colorado

I wish, 2 problems with that, ISU is too high and Mizzou chokes like W with a bowl of pretzels.

1. NU
2. KSU
3. Mizzou
4. ISU
5. Colorado
6. KU

I could switch Colorado and ISU easily.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Shaggy? Spend one game behind the goal post and you will notice he has a strong hook on all his kicks. Looks like me of the tee box much of this summer.

I also think we will have to rely more on our offense than our defense

BvK1126

Apr 12, 2007
Denver, CO
I tend to think that Prince will screw up what he did at KSU.

Kansas State, for some reason, just decided to go with the shadiest coaches ever. They'll end up paying for both.
Forgive my ignorance, but what has Prince done that makes him shady? I have no real opinion of Prince one way or the other. If you lay out his "shadiness" for me, I'll jump on that bandwagon with you! :yes4lo:

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Forgive my ignorance, but what has Prince done that makes him shady? I have no real opinion of Prince one way or the other. If you lay out his "shadiness" for me, I'll jump on that bandwagon with you! :yes4lo:

D'oh, I'm confusing him with their new basketball coach. Sorry, I've been awake too long...I'm gonna delete that last post. :p

BvK1126

Apr 12, 2007
Denver, CO
D'oh, I'm confusing him with their new basketball coach. Sorry, I've been awake too long...I'm gonna delete that last post. :p
Thanks! Now it looks like I'm talking to myself! :baffled5wh: :wink0st:

Now, I totally agree with you that Frank Martin is a shady character... but in the interest of not hijacking this thread too much, I'll reserve those comments for a different thread at a later time.

As for NWIAclone's predictions, well, it's nice to dream... I hope Chizik's first squad at ISU shocks the nation like that. But even if they do, a rematch between Iowa State and Iowa in the Alamo Bowl is not going to happen. The TV ratings would be deadly low outside of the Midwest. :no6xn:

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
2nd place in the North may be a bit high, but 3rd should be up for grabs. I really don't see why we couldn't reach .500 with a similar schedule to last year. Let's break down improvement position by position. Better (+), Worse (-), no change or toss up (~)

QB +...Meyer certainly has the talent to return to Sophomore form and start fresh from the dreadful season last year.
RB +...If Bass and Scales are healthy, I really don't see how we can get less or equal production even with a weak OL. Even when there were a few holes last year, a gimpy Hicks, who's not fast to begin with had no chance.
Receivers...+ Blythe back, just about has to be better than last year getting more touches with no mono. Sumrall and Franklin have the potential to be just as good as Flynn and Davis, at least after some experience. TEs about the same with Barkema back.
O-line ~...who knows.

D-line ~...another who knows. some returners, but a lot of ???
LBs...~ this is probably a wash. Bowen and Carper back, losing McKenzie.
DBs +...experience and Bell have to make them better

Kicking game ~...I really don't see how this will change much. I think we know exactly what to expect in both punting and kicking

Coaching/intangibles +...This has to be better. The team essentially was lost half way through the season and pretty much quit playing till the Mizzou game. Opposing teams will have harder times preparing as it won't be the same old same old. I expect coaching to improve things on both sides of the ball.

If the 4 ~s turn out to be one better, one worse and two the same, I'll take that improvement and good for 2 more Ws, .500, and a marginal bowl game.

ArathornClone

Oct 10, 2006
2nd place in the North may be a bit high, but 3rd should be up for grabs. I really don't see why we couldn't reach .500 with a similar schedule to last year. Let's break down improvement position by position. Better (+), Worse (-), no change or toss up (~)

QB +...Meyer certainly has the talent to return to Sophomore form and start fresh from the dreadful season last year.
RB +...If Bass and Scales are healthy, I really don't see how we can get less or equal production even with a weak OL. Even when there were a few holes last year, a gimpy Hicks, who's not fast to begin with had no chance.
Receivers...+ Blythe back, just about has to be better than last year getting more touches with no mono. Sumrall and Franklin have the potential to be just as good as Flynn and Davis, at least after some experience. TEs about the same with Barkema back.
O-line ~...who knows.

D-line ~...another who knows. some returners, but a lot of ???
LBs...~ this is probably a wash. Bowen and Carper back, losing McKenzie.
DBs +...experience and Bell have to make them better

Kicking game ~...I really don't see how this will change much. I think we know exactly what to expect in both punting and kicking

Coaching/intangibles +...This has to be better. The team essentially was lost half way through the season and pretty much quit playing till the Mizzou game. Opposing teams will have harder times preparing as it won't be the same old same old. I expect coaching to improve things on both sides of the ball.

If the 4 ~s turn out to be one better, one worse and two the same, I'll take that improvement and good for 2 more Ws, .500, and a marginal bowl game.

I'm not suggesting this will change your rating, but don't forget one of the RB's most important jobs - blocking. Hicks was said to be excellent at this, so even if Bass and Scales run well this skill may go down a bit. Also, with Kock gone, I expect the FB position to drop. I don't care how much potential Means or Catlett have - Kock was a 3 or 4 yr. starter and excellent at his position. SO, in RB/FB I would give + to running game and + pass-catch out of the backfield, but probably - on FB and - on pass protection. depending on how you then look at the overall position does it change your rating or maybe make it a lesser +?

TE -> I would say this drops a little with the loss of Nickel but haven't seen much of this position in the new offense scheme to know

O-Line -> This has to be a +. With the addition of a couple of JUCO's and another year under the belt of Stephens, Tibbs, Schmeling, I don't see how we can't improve here. Add McFarland as the new OL coach, our S&C coach, and I'm looking for big improvement here.

LB -> I see this as a +. I think Bowen is in the best shape of his life and the new defensive scheme highlight his skills and allow him to shine. Banks has finally found a home and I look for big things from him. add in Garrin, Bibbs, and maybe Carper and this bunch will be an improved squad and clearly the strength of our defense.

DB -> Again, if this is a + it may be just a slight one. We lost an NFL caliber DB in Jackson from last year's squad (what game did he go down last year?)

kicking -> this may be a toss up as you suggest but I think will definitely be a strength of this team. I'm excited to see how our special teams will affect games this year.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
I'm not suggesting this will change your rating, but don't forget one of the RB's most important jobs - blocking. Hicks was said to be excellent at this, so even if Bass and Scales run well this skill may go down a bit. Also, with Kock gone, I expect the FB position to drop. I don't care how much potential Means or Catlett have - Kock was a 3 or 4 yr. starter and excellent at his position. SO, in RB/FB I would give + to running game and + pass-catch out of the backfield, but probably - on FB and - on pass protection. depending on how you then look at the overall position does it change your rating or maybe make it a lesser +?

TE -> I would say this drops a little with the loss of Nickel but haven't seen much of this position in the new offense scheme to know

O-Line -> This has to be a +. With the addition of a couple of JUCO's and another year under the belt of Stephens, Tibbs, Schmeling, I don't see how we can't improve here. Add McFarland as the new OL coach, our S&C coach, and I'm looking for big improvement here.

LB -> I see this as a +. I think Bowen is in the best shape of his life and the new defensive scheme highlight his skills and allow him to shine. Banks has finally found a home and I look for big things from him. add in Garrin, Bibbs, and maybe Carper and this bunch will be an improved squad and clearly the strength of our defense.

DB -> Again, if this is a + it may be just a slight one. We lost an NFL caliber DB in Jackson from last year's squad (what game did he go down last year?)

kicking -> this may be a toss up as you suggest but I think will definitely be a strength of this team. I'm excited to see how our special teams will affect games this year.

Ya, I didn't take blocking into consideration. You're probably right on that account. Koch will be missed. Way underutilized in his career. I really wasn't counting Jackson since he missed at least half the season I think. OL wise, I would like to think they'll be better but I have little to no faith in JUCOs at that position. It's been a long while since we had one come in and contribute right away.

stepha4

May 3, 2006
Back to running back......Hicks was ordained a good blocker at some point in his career.....BUT, does anyone besides me still have the vision of Bret rolling out and Stevie diving at the DE or LB's legs, only to have that guy directly in Bret's face a half second later. Stevie really wasn't good at anything. Running back +

herbiedoobie

Jan 3, 2007
Germany
I can't see how TE isn't a +. Under the McCarney scheme, didn't we use the TE as an offensive weapon like 5 times in 15 years????

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
The original post lost all credibility when it was mentioned that Shaggy would be an NFL draft pick.

At first I thought it was a joke, but then I realized it wasn't.

Unless Shaggy makes a complete 180, he won't be an NFL kicker...not a chance. Mr. Clutch? Please name me one clutch kick he has made it in 3-yr career?

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
At first I thought it was a joke, but then I realized it wasn't.

Unless Shaggy makes a complete 180, he won't be an NFL kicker...not a chance. Mr. Clutch? Please name me one clutch kick he has made it in 3-yr career?

My thoughts exactly.

- keep.

NWIAclone

Apr 11, 2006
Lake Okoboji
Internet Geniuses

What does the symbol ":wink0st:" usually indicate? (Hint: the wink has something to do with it) ....some people just don't realize when they're being played.

By the way.... our team can use all the "props" it can get going into this season. Go Cyclones---Beat the Golden Flashes!