MLB: Cubs Sign Nady

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
I believe that he is the first player to have 2 tommy john surgerys and play. I wonder how much its for.

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
I believe that he is the first player to have 2 tommy john surgerys and play. I wonder how much its for.

If he were a pitcher he'd be done for sure. I don't know what a TJ surgery does to a hitter but that's what he's needed for if he can produce like he had in 2007 and 2008.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
If he were a pitcher he'd be done for sure. I don't know what a TJ surgery does to a hitter but that's what he's needed for if he can produce like he had in 2007 and 2008.

I remember that Luis Gonzalaz had Tommy John at some point, but I don't remember how better or worse he was coming off of it.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Eh, they could have done worse I guess.

I'm still skeptical of how this team as it stands right now without a couple bold trades or signings is going to make the playoffs. Even if Soto and Soriano rebound from a bad season, Lee and A-Ram stay healthy, Byrd hits as well as he did last year, and the pitching can stay healthy there are still a ton of "ifs" that need to happen without a hitch to even think about the playoffs. The roster is starting to age, if they don't make a deep run this year its about time to blow it up and start a youth movement I think.

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
Eh, they could have done worse I guess.

I'm still skeptical of how this team as it stands right now without a couple bold trades or signings is going to make the playoffs. Even if Soto and Soriano rebound from a bad season, Lee and A-Ram stay healthy, Byrd hits as well as he did last year, and the pitching can stay healthy there are still a ton of "ifs" that need to happen without a hitch to even think about the playoffs. The roster is starting to age, if they don't make a deep run this year its about time to blow it up and start a youth movement I think.

What else is there? I think you named the main issues from last year. If all those things go the way they are supposed to, I think they'll be alright. I'm just curious what you think. The only other issue I could see is having a consistant 5th starting pitcher. I'm not comfortable with Gorzelanny or whoever in there.

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
Isn't pitching always the main concern anyway. That's what helps you win those 1-0 or 2-2-0 ballgames. Pitching has always been the struggle. We don't have a clear Ace and our #2 can't keep his anger under control long enough to be effective all year.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I remember that Luis Gonzalaz had Tommy John at some point, but I don't remember how better or worse he was coming off of it.

the year he hit 50 HRs he could barely throw in to the cut off.
Was that before or after the surgery?

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Isn't pitching always the main concern anyway. That's what helps you win those 1-0 or 2-2-0 ballgames. Pitching has always been the struggle. We don't have a clear Ace and our #2 can't keep his anger under control long enough to be effective all year.

The pitching hasn't been the problem (well, at least not the starting pitching).

Not having a true ace hasn't been a problem over a 162 game season and I don't think it will be one this year.

The offense has to step up though. Last year was pathetic.

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
This is a bad move... why don't we just resign Matt Stairs... (ie: a corner outfielder who is a VERY streaky, mediocre hitter who shouldn't be a corner outfielder anymore because they're more suited for DH or 1B)

agronclone

Jul 25, 2009
des moines
pitching has been the least of the cubs concerns the past several seasons. if you look at the stats, the cubs have had one of the best starting rotations in baseball for the better part of the past decade. their bullpen needs the improvement. if their offense works like it did in 2008, we'll easily be on the way to the playoffs. the cards have lost a lot of what got them there last season, so i think it will be a cubby year.

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
pitching has been the least of the cubs concerns the past several seasons. if you look at the stats, the cubs have had one of the best starting rotations in baseball for the better part of the past decade. their bullpen needs the improvement. if their offense works like it did in 2008, we'll easily be on the way to the playoffs. the cards have lost a lot of what got them there last season, so i think it will be a cubby year.

Finally someone who agrees with me that pitching wasn't the problem last year, it was hitting.

And as for the Cards, they didn't really lose anything. They got Holliday back, they'll always have Pujols, and as far as I know, they have Carpenter and Wainwright back. They will be a very good team again this year.

agronclone

Jul 25, 2009
des moines
Finally someone who agrees with me that pitching wasn't the problem last year, it was hitting.

And as for the Cards, they didn't really lose anything. They got Holliday back, they'll always have Pujols, and as far as I know, they have Carpenter and Wainwright back. They will be a very good team again this year.

the cards will still be good, but not as good. it is hard for me to believe that their pitchers will put up the same stats as last year. very few in the game can. further, some of the other complementary players are gone, and they are hoping for replacements that can be just as effective, which is a stretch. but with la russa, who knows?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron