Reggie Stephens - Shrine Game

j_crow

Oct 24, 2007
Ames, IA
Anyone know anything about how Reggie has been performing in the practices leading up to the East-West Shrine game?

RHillman

Sep 11, 2009
I heard he hasn't impressed the coaches too much. Who knows if its legit though since he was a stud throughout the season.

bootcy

Apr 12, 2006
Waukee
From CBSsportsline.com article

"Fellow Big 12 offensive lineman Reggie Stephens (Iowa State) looked fairly strong when run blocking but failed to move his feet in pass protection, giving up too much penetration to Arizona defensive tackle Earl Mitchell."

cmhawks99

Nov 15, 2008
Bourbonnais, Il

cmhawks99

Nov 15, 2008
Bourbonnais, Il
This quote below is something that has become intriguing to me...........

"""""""""""""""It’s obvious watching Oklahoma cornerback Brian Jackson live that he simply doesn’t have the type of quick-twitch ability to close on the football in off-coverage. He’s a tall, long-armed kid who’s at his best when he’s able to get his hands on receivers, and he once again was consistently able to win his one-on-one matchups whenever he was asked to press off the line. He showcases good physicality and really knows how to reroute receivers. Jackson might not be the most efficient corner in space, but there is a place for him in the NFL because of his bump-and-run ability.""""""""""""""

OU obviously signs top 10 classes year after year. They seemingly have a battalion of 4 star kids, that come in running "supposedly" electric 40 and agility times, only to get slower when they turn Pro. Yet the above is a very intriguing case study. I have watched these drafts and Pro days diligently for years now and it really is quite a hodge-podge of info. It's really hard to know what to think.

Above is a kid that is probably going to run a very pedestrian time, yet they still point out he has some skills. Showing "speed" isn't every thing, even at CB.

Based on OU's recent draft picks off of D they aren't nearly as fast as Iowa. (They had two 4.7 Sftys last year) Yet they seem to be or are at least "perceived to be, and they have played decent to very good D over the years. Once again showing speed on the field is more than an agility score, but also that these High school times mean bumpkis. Even if they are "electronic" times they are rarely accurate. It also shows that all the people who say this conference is fast and this conference is slow really don't have a clue.

Here is what I have decided. When you play good, you look fast on the field. When you don't you look slow. It really is that simple. More importantly as a player there is a whole lot more that goes into being fast on the field than running a 4.4 forty and quite frankly the best of the best are rarely the fastest at their positions.

Chad

Last edited:

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
This quote below is something that has become intriguing to me...........

"""""""""""""""It’s obvious watching Oklahoma cornerback Brian Jackson live that he simply doesn’t have the type of quick-twitch ability to close on the football in off-coverage. He’s a tall, long-armed kid who’s at his best when he’s able to get his hands on receivers, and he once again was consistently able to win his one-on-one matchups whenever he was asked to press off the line. He showcases good physicality and really knows how to reroute receivers. Jackson might not be the most efficient corner in space, but there is a place for him in the NFL because of his bump-and-run ability.""""""""""""""

OU obviously signs top 10 classes year after year. They seemingly have a battalion of 4 star kids, that come in running "supposedly" electric 40 and agility times, only to get slower when they turn Pro. Yet the above is a very intriguing case study. I have watched these drafts and Pro days diligently for years now and it really is quite a hodge-podge of info. It's really hard to know what to think.

Above is a kid that is probably going to run a very pedestrian time, yet they still point out he has some skills. Showing "speed" isn't every thing, even at CB.

Based on OU's recent draft picks off of D they aren't nearly as fast as Iowa. (They had two 4.7 Sftys last year) Yet they seem to be or are at least "perceived to be, and they have played decent to very good D over the years. Once again showing speed on the field is more than an agility score, but also that these High school times mean bumpkis. Even if they are "electronic" times they are rarely accurate. It also shows that all the people who say this conference is fast and this conference is slow really don't have a clue.

Here is what I have decided. When you play good, you look fast on the field. When you don't you look slow. It really is that simple. More importantly as a player there is a whole lot more that goes into being fast on the field than running a 4.4 forty and quite frankly the best of the best are rarely the fastest at their positions.

Chad

IMO, pads slow down some players more than others. If I were evaluating talent, I'd not only want to measure all 40 times in pads, but would also want to know their 10 and 20 yard times as well.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Reggie played well when I watched today.. Didnt see the first half as we were at the game

cmhawks99

Nov 15, 2008
Bourbonnais, Il
IMO, pads slow down some players more than others. If I were evaluating talent, I'd not only want to measure all 40 times in pads, but would also want to know their 10 and 20 yard times as well.

Great point on all of the above. In fact I believe the Pro agility and shuttle times are more telling and why they time an individual in shorts & Tees, when the sport is played in full regalia has never made sense to me.

Chad

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
The 2 series I saw in the 2nd half, it looked like Reggie was the only on of the 5 OL in at the time that could block worth a ****. The QB kept getting blown up by the D.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Another big problem is the technique involved in running a super fast 40 yard dash. You can really shave .20 off of your time by perfecting your starting stance, lengthening your stride out of the start, etc.

Obviously in a game these factors don't play any role whatsoever. The "big deal" made out of guys who run a 4.3 and a 4.5 can really backfire on coaches.

For instance, the stupid raiders drafted hayward-bey last year like 5th overall because he ran about .08 faster than jeremy maclin, and never gave crabtree a look because he didn't register a time. You know, if a kid can play, who gives a **** what his 40 is? Someone tell me, how fast is larry fitzgerald? Ok, whats his 40 time? Guess what, no one cares..

cmhawks99

Nov 15, 2008
Bourbonnais, Il
Another big problem is the technique involved in running a super fast 40 yard dash. You can really shave .20 off of your time by perfecting your starting stance, lengthening your stride out of the start, etc.

Obviously in a game these factors don't play any role whatsoever. The "big deal" made out of guys who run a 4.3 and a 4.5 can really backfire on coaches.

For instance, the stupid raiders drafted hayward-bey last year like 5th overall because he ran about .08 faster than jeremy maclin, and never gave crabtree a look because he didn't register a time. You know, if a kid can play, who gives a **** what his 40 is? Someone tell me, how fast is larry fitzgerald? Ok, whats his 40 time? Guess what, no one cares..

Another great point and if memory serves it may have only been a 4.63 (at best a 4.58, one of the two, sorry lots of past tiems in my head....LOL) and Boldin only ran like a 4.71. They both seem plenty fast enuff, right?!?!

Chad

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Maybe in today's technology driven world, radar guns would be a better indicator of true speed. :smile: