Cubs' Theriot told to work on 2nd base

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I have been saying this for a long time. Theriot would fare much better at second, and the Cubs should be seeking a shortstop during the off-season.

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
Theriot doesn't have the arm to be a SS. He is much better suited for 2nd base. Now the question is who would take his place at SS.

LetsPlay2

Dec 18, 2008
Des Moines
They have a good SS in their minor league system right now called Starlin and I believe he is in Double-A and, from what I have been hearing, he might make it to the majors this year.

Mar 24, 2009
Marion Iowa
I would be ok with the Cubs getting Tejada for a 1 year deal that is heavy on incentives. He can still hit, might not have the range for SS but i would like the bat.

agronclone

Jul 25, 2009
des moines
starlin castro is only 19 or 20 years old. he only has a couple months experience in the minors, albeit a very productive couple of months (near .300 average, lots of speed, and great defensively). my only concern is that the cubs don't have a good track record in bringing up young players (patterson brothers, for example). but if the kid can hit .260 and get on base at .330 or better, it wouldn't be much of a downgrade from what fontenot did last season. and that may be an advantage because of the speed the kid could bring around the bases, and the increased range at shortstop.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
starlin castro is only 19 or 20 years old. he only has a couple months experience in the minors, albeit a very productive couple of months (near .300 average, lots of speed, and great defensively). my only concern is that the cubs don't have a good track record in bringing up young players (patterson brothers, for example). but if the kid can hit .260 and get on base at .330 or better, it wouldn't be much of a downgrade from what fontenot did last season. and that may be an advantage because of the speed the kid could bring around the bases, and the increased range at shortstop.

The Patterson's have nothing compared to the potential I thought Felix Pie had. Heck, I thought Angel Pagan had some too.

agronclone

Jul 25, 2009
des moines
I thought Theriot and Fontenot were products of the Cubs farm system, or did they pick them up in a trade?

theriot was drafted by the cubs, but they received fontenot for sosa from baltimore. at the same time, those guys were in their mid-20's before they were brought up to the big-leagues.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
As a Twins fan, I was really impressed with Orlando Cabrera's leadership near the end of the season last year. He has the problem of being one of those polarizing players if he doesn't gel with the team (i.e. Milton Bradley). If he cuts down on his errors and steps up to a leadership position he could be a good signing.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
As a Twins fan, I was really impressed with Orlando Cabrera's leadership near the end of the season last year. He has the problem of being one of those polarizing players if he doesn't gel with the team (i.e. Milton Bradley). If he cuts down on his errors and steps up to a leadership position he could be a good signing.

From what I watched of the divisional series of the Twins vs. Yanks, Orlando did play well.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Castro is the only reason Theriot is working out at 2nd, but I don't see him playing that position until the Sept call ups. Apparently, Starlin's the real deal and will probably be up this year...most likely in Chi-towm to stay come 2011.

If you think about it, there is no other reason to go after Guzman as hard as the Cubs have this off-season. Long term, he's garbage, but may serve as a servicable 'stop-gap' 2 bagger. The transition from SS to 2nd won't be easy for Theriot.

For those of you talking Tejada...I want what you're into. Not going to happen.

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
i just read something about the cubs interest in jermaine dye. and also xavier nady. reed johnson still is in the mix, but whoever doesn't get a full-time gig somewhere else may end up in chicago.
New Chicago Cubs hitting coach expects to exceed high expectations - chicagotribune.com

Cubs Considering Free Agent Outfielder Options: Reed Johnson and Xavier Nady | Bleacher Nation | Chicago Cubs News, Rumors, and Commentary

I HATE Xavier Nady... he sucks.
Reed Johnson hustles, but isn't a great player.... all around.
Jermaine Dye would be the best of the bunch, but he's a liability sometimes in Right Field. But he can hit...

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
Castro is the only reason Theriot is working out at 2nd, but I don't see him playing that position until the Sept call ups. Apparently, Starlin's the real deal and will probably be up this year...most likely in Chi-towm to stay come 2011.

If you think about it, there is no other reason to go after Guzman as hard as the Cubs have this off-season. Long term, he's garbage, but may serve as a servicable 'stop-gap' 2 bagger. The transition from SS to 2nd won't be easy for Theriot.

For those of you talking Tejada...I want what you're into. Not going to happen.

Think again man... he came up in 2005 as a 2nd baseman and played most of 2006 as a 2nd baseman. It wasn't until 2007 that he made the switch to SS.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
this is definitely not because the cubs are lookin a SS's for this year. this is for the future. Starlin Castro is going to be a freak. sounds like he'll be in the majors by mid-summer.