Watching KState is just depressing

Latto

Nov 14, 2009
Watching this KState team just depresses me. The same could be said for Missouri and Baylor too. These teams were in no better position than ISU in 2006, but now KState and Baylor are in the Top 25. Missouri is on the fringe of the top 25 and coming off an extremely successful season last year. Oh . . . yeah, and freaking Northern Directional School of Iowa is on the cusp of entering the Top 25.

No need to finish rant, you know the rest, same old complaining. Next coach please.

Wait, wait, one more thing. I never post on message boards, just cruise through and read, but now McDermott has done it, he's forced me to post. Hopefully I receive some childish replies, I enjoy those most.

Reactions: Wesley

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Has the Kstate coach hit a player yet today? Who built that UNI team and handed off a great program?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Watching this KState team just depresses me. The same could be said for Missouri and Baylor too. These teams were in no better position than ISU in 2006, but now KState and Baylor are in the Top 25. Missouri is on the fringe of the top 25 and coming off an extremely successful season last year. Oh . . . yeah, and freaking Northern Directional School of Iowa is on the cusp of entering the Top 25.

No need to finish rant, you know the rest, same old complaining. Next coach please.

Wait, wait, one more thing. I never post on message boards, just cruise through and read, but now McDermott has done it, he's forced me to post. Hopefully I receive some childish replies, I enjoy those most.

Nice post. I completely agree with everything you said. People act like we should expect it to take years to claw our way out of the hole left when Wayne Morgan got fired, but Baylor got things figured out fairly quick considering the state of their program a few years ago.

Last edited:

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Nice post. I completely agree with everything you said. People act like we should expect it to take years to claw our way out of the hole left with Wayne Morgan got fired, but Baylor got things figured out fairly quick considering the state of their program a few years ago.

no ****. they actually had a player shot and killed, correct? and a coach that went down in flames after being recorded telling the team to throw the deceased under the bus.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Has the Kstate coach hit a player yet today? Who built that UNI team and handed off a great program?

Should Martin have hit that kid? No.

Would it be nice to have our coach show a little of the same energy and
enthusiasm as Martin? Yes.

And why exactly should I care that UNI of the early 2000s were good? Mac has shown nothing in the way of proving he can develop a quality team in the Big 12.

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
Nice post. I completely agree with everything you said. People act like we should expect it to take years to claw our way out of the hole left with Wayne Morgan got fired, but Baylor got things figured out fairly quick considering the state of their program a few years ago.
There is one excuse after another for why ISU hasn't been able to turn the corner. Will the excuses ever end?

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
It has been 7 years since the Baylor mess is that a quick turnaround?

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
I halfway root for K-State because of all the hate Frank Martin took on here when he first took the job. Minus the lame fans and purple jerseys, they're an interesting team to watch. I'm not sold on Baylor yet.

Latto

Nov 14, 2009
Well, Frank hasn't hit anybody today, but they were doing a pretty good job at making short work of a quality A&M team. I'd be willing to bet that you would like to have Tim Floyd or Larry Eustachy back as a coach, or wish that neither would have left ISU. It's OK, I am in the same boat and we both know neither of them were saints. Reality is that ISU will have one tournament appearance since that era.

Yes McDermott built UNI to a nice one-and-done tournament team, a nice ISU one-and-done tournament team would be a nice change of pace. There must be something in McDermott's contract that states he gets paid the better part of a million dollars for past successes at his previous employer. That's a good business plan.

Did I answer your questions appropriately or did I fail miserably while getting paid a pretty salary for previous quesitions answered?

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
It has been 7 years since the Baylor mess is that a quick turnaround?

They were in the tourney a couple of years ago, thats when the turnaround happened if you want to put a date on it.

I agree completely with the original post, these last few years have been frustrating. Oh well, back to hoping we somehow turn this season around. Hopefully we at least show up and play respectable at home against #1 tomorrow.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Should Martin have hit that kid? No.

Would it be nice to have our coach show a little of the same energy and
enthusiasm as Martin? Yes.

And why exactly should I care that UNI of the early 2000s were good? Mac has shown nothing in the way of proving he can develop a quality team in the Big 12.

I have never seen Frank Martin show postive energy. He makes LE look like a chior boy.

He was talking about UNI being good, but the fact is Mac stated to get the ball rolling there. Who knows how this season will turn out for ISU, they have yet to play a conference game. This team has 4 loses all to good teams. Lets see how a few conference games go before we get too carried away.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
They were in the tourney a couple of years ago, thats when the turnaround happened if you want to put a date on it.

Yes it did 5 years in and one good recuriting class that stayed together and played as a team. Drew has done a good job with that program.

Latto

Nov 14, 2009
Looking back on all the defections, especially when McDermott started, Blalock, Carr, Taggart, Degand, Stinson and then of course Cory Johnson, Clayton Vette, Dodie Dunson, Cory McCintosh, Wes Johnson, the point guard from Texas with the mustache . . . these guys obviously new something.

We often talk negatively about the above individuals, but I am starting to think it's not them. It was considered McD's bad luck that some left, I don't think so anymore, it's just McD.

Having said that, I sure hope the team beats Texas. If anything ISU will look appealing to the next head coach.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Looking back on all the defections, especially when McDermott started, Blalock, Carr, Taggart, Degand, Stinson and then of course Cory Johnson, Clayton Vette, Dodie Dunson, Cory McCintosh, Wes Johnson, the point guard from Texas with the mustache . . . these guys obviously new something.

We often talk negatively about the above individuals, but I am starting to think it's not them. It was considered McD's bad luck that some left, I don't think so anymore, it's just McD.

Having said that, I sure hope the team beats Texas. If anything ISU will look appealing to the next head coach.

Blalock, Carr, Taggart, Stinson were gone before Mac took over. Cory Johnson, Clayton Vette, Dodie Dunson, Cory McCintosh, the point guard from Texas with the mustache were they really Big 12 players? They moved on to get PT allowing ISU to get better talent. Wes hurts and I think him leave really has affected Macs coaching style.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Blalock, Carr, Taggart, Stinson were gone before Mac took over. Cory Johnson, Clayton Vette, Dodie Dunson, Cory McCintosh, the point guard from Texas with the mustache were they really Big 12 players? They moved on to get PT allowing ISU to get better talent. Wes hurts and I think him leave really has affected Macs coaching style.

Of those listed, Corey Mcintosh and Dodie Dunson were probably big 12 players. Corey was a juco and he wasn't a turnover machine like Mike Taylor. Dodie showed promise and could have very well taken the point guard after Corey.

acody

Nov 25, 2006
Well, Frank hasn't hit anybody today, but they were doing a pretty good job at making short work of a quality A&M team. I'd be willing to bet that you would like to have Tim Floyd or Larry Eustachy back as a coach, or wish that neither would have left ISU. It's OK, I am in the same boat and we both know neither of them were saints. Reality is that ISU will have one tournament appearance since that era.

Yes McDermott built UNI to a nice one-and-done tournament team, a nice ISU one-and-done tournament team would be a nice change of pace. There must be something in McDermott's contract that states he gets paid the better part of a million dollars for past successes at his previous employer. That's a good business plan.

Did I answer your questions appropriately or did I fail miserably while getting paid a pretty salary for previous quesitions answered?

The love for McDermott is understandable by ISU standards. Kind of like Dan McCarney. Both are likeable Iowa natives. Us Iowans are nice people. We do not like to hurt anyone's feelings. Consider all the posts when we preface our remarks by "I like Greg, but......; However, this is the Big 12 and big time D-1 college athletics. We need a coach with an EDGE and an ATTIDUDE! McDermott is over his head. He's too nice of a guy.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron