More Problems at USC Coming Out?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I don't buy parts of his story, others I do. I would think that painkillers are dispersed pretty liberally at every college. I don't mean to sound like this is no huge deal, but I think it would be pretty naive to think this stuff is isolated. I would hate to guess the number of former college football players that are addicted to painkillers. Let alone the NFL

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I kind of suspect that ol' Pete didn't bail out just because he needed a change of pace. Perhaps there are some serious penalites coming on down the line for USC.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I don't think you can have that successful of a football program in America. Some booster somewhere is paying someone they are not supposed to. Regardless how clean a coach may be. Some 18 year old broke as hell kid will take money from some rich guy. There is nothing you can do about it.

Reactions: CyGuy33

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I don't think you can have that successful of a football program in America. Some booster somewhere is paying someone they are not supposed to. Regardless how clean a coach may be. Some 18 year old broke as hell kid will take money from some rich guy. There is nothing you can do about it.

SO you would say Florida is cheating and probably Texas too? I would say those teams have been more successful than USC over the last 5 years for sure. I am not arguing I just want to be clear.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
SO you would say Florida is cheating and probably Texas too? I would say those teams have been more successful than USC over the last 5 years for sure. I am not arguing I just want to be clear.

I also disagree with that idea. By all accounts I think Brown and Meyer are running clean programs, and are lucky enough to be at schools where the prestige and resources "recruit themselves". I think Pete Carroll had the same situation going, but maybe was looking for the extra edge. There is also the possibility that he did not know some of the booster support was going on. I know it is hard to believe he didn't realize one of his players was driving a brand new Escalade or something of the like, but I suppose he shows up for practices and film everyday and goes home, and isn't out hanging out with his players checking up on what car their driving and how much cash is in their bank accounts.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I also disagree with that idea. By all accounts I think Brown and Meyer are running clean programs, and are lucky enough to be at schools where the prestige and resources "recruit themselves". I think Pete Carroll had the same situation going, but maybe was looking for the extra edge. There is also the possibility that he did not know some of the booster support was going on. I know it is hard to believe he didn't realize one of his players was driving a brand new Escalade or something of the like, but I suppose he shows up for practices and film everyday and goes home, and isn't out hanging out with his players checking up on what car their driving and how much cash is in their bank accounts.

Don't fool yourself. There are a few skeleton's in their closests too...

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006

there are lots of ways to cheat..

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

I agree, the difference is those guys are better in game coaches. They don't need to do that little extra. In Urbans case, he runs a unique offense so he can get away with having a little less all around talent on that side of the ball. In a Pro Style offense you have to have great talent a ll around. I really think that USC is going to be made an example of. I think the hammer will drop fairly hard here. I feel real bad for the recruits this year who were dead set on going there (Baxter) and now have no idea.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I agree, the difference is those guys are better in game coaches. They don't need to do that little extra. In Urbans case, he runs a unique offense so he can get away with having a little less all around talent on that side of the ball. In a Pro Style offense you have to have great talent a ll around. I really think that USC is going to be made an example of. I think the hammer will drop fairly hard here. I feel real bad for the recruits this year who were dead set on going there (Baxter) and now have no idea.

Huh?? Of course Urban Meyer has some of the best talent in the country just like USC. So does Mac Brown. My point is these guys or their boosters don't do everything above board to pull in that kinda talent.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
It's not the coaches. It's the rich boosters. So yeah I am sure there are players on Texas and Florida that are taking payments. Nothing Mac Brown or any other coach can do about it.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

But I still think there is something to be said about these coaches not always realizing what is going on behind the scenes. These large, impassioned and often wealthy fanbases could have little regard or knowledge for the rules, and could be doing something illegal under NCAA rules w/o the coaches knowledge. A coach cannot reasonably be expected to have access to every players bank statements, know their employment status, know the car they are driving, ect.

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas

Funny thing is, I am sure this happens more often than not. There is a certain football player that plays at a school east of Ames that was tooling around his hometown in an Escalade this summer over the 4th of July weekend. Lots of stuff like this goes on around the country, I would bet the only time it really gets called out is when the bigger stuff rolls downhill and they lump it all together.

For a coach like Pete that has already failed once in the NFL and had a cushy job as USC going, as well as playing a freshman QB this year as he prepared for the future national championship's he planned on winning, it is a bit odd for him to up and leave. This could really expose alot of what may be wrong with college athletics, or be nothing...

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
But I still think there is something to be said about these coaches not always realizing what is going on behind the scenes. These large, impassioned and often wealthy fanbases could have little regard or knowledge for the rules, and could be doing something illegal under NCAA rules w/o the coaches knowledge. A coach cannot reasonably be expected to have access to every players bank statements, know their employment status, know the car they are driving, ect.

I agree with most of that. Fanbases are a wild card in everything.

Why can't a coach keep track of all that player stuff with the large staff they have at their disposal?

It's up to the AD and the coach to educate fans what is right and wrong(just as JP has worked very hard at doing the last few years.).

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I agree with most of that. Fanbases are a wild card in everything.

Why can't a coach keep track of all that player stuff with the large staff they have at their disposal?

It's up to the AD and the coach to educate fans what is right and wrong(just as JP has worked very hard at doing the last few years.).

COming from ISU we have no idea the extent to which people will go. For one, we don't have 50 LARGE boosters in the players ear. It is hard for a coach to keep track of 100 kids as well.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
This makes me want to watch the movie "Blue Chips".

It is my belief that coaches seek to maintain a level of Culpable Deniability. They have no knowledge of what is going on, so they can not be blamed for it.

I am pretty sure that similar issues exist with many schools that have big time boosters. The NCAA gets involved when the program or player is high profile and the under the table benefits are too obvious. Someones family getting a giant new house is a big example. Also, a poor kid driving a new Escalade is a red flag.

Coaches don't want to know that this is happening, so they can escape the blame for it.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Todd Day, Former Arkansas Basketball player. Used to drive around Fayetville in a brand new Nissan Maxima.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Maybe McGwire and Big Unit timed their announcements as a smoke screen to make things easier for their buddy and former teammate Del Rio when he slides in to take over that mess...

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007

Read about the recruitment of JaMarcus McFarland - interesting stuff...

The New York Times > Log In

The Times published part of a paper written by McFarland for his English class where he detailed a party he attended in Dallas that was hosted by Longhorn fans

"I will never forget the excitement amongst all participants," McFarland wrote. "Alcohol was all you can drink, money was not an option. Girls were acting wild by taking off their tops, and pulling down their pants. Girls were also romancing each other. Some guys loved every minute of the freakiness some girls demonstrated. I have never attended a party of this magnitude."​
He continued: "The attitude of the people at the party was that everyone should drink or not come to the party. Drugs were prevalent with no price attached."
The article also claims that Texas offered money to McFarland's mother. She claims in the article that the source of any offers did not come from within the Texas athletic department -- something she can only speculate.

"Allegations from the report upset her because she said she had received numerous offers of gifts in exchange for her son to attend Texas. She said she did not believe that Brown or anyone officially with Texas was involved or had any knowledge of the enticements."
And:
"Earlier this month, a former classmate called Adams and asked if she would coax her son into attending Texas. If so, a banker had promised the former classmate any type of loan."

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Read about the recruitment of JaMarcus McFarland - interesting stuff...

The New York Times > Log In

The Times published part of a paper written by McFarland for his English class where he detailed a party he attended in Dallas that was hosted by Longhorn fans
"I will never forget the excitement amongst all participants," McFarland wrote. "Alcohol was all you can drink, money was not an option. Girls were acting wild by taking off their tops, and pulling down their pants. Girls were also romancing each other. Some guys loved every minute of the freakiness some girls demonstrated. I have never attended a party of this magnitude."​
He continued: "The attitude of the people at the party was that everyone should drink or not come to the party. Drugs were prevalent with no price attached."
The article also claims that Texas offered money to McFarland's mother. She claims in the article that the source of any offers did not come from within the Texas athletic department -- something she can only speculate.
"Allegations from the report upset her because she said she had received numerous offers of gifts in exchange for her son to attend Texas. She said she did not believe that Brown or anyone officially with Texas was involved or had any knowledge of the enticements."
And:
"Earlier this month, a former classmate called Adams and asked if she would coax her son into attending Texas. If so, a banker had promised the former classmate any type of loan."

Are you sure this wasn't written by HB about UNC?