So much for the triple option

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
It was shucked by most teams decades ago for good reason. GT need to do the same. That was the most pathetic passing attack I've ever seen, 3 passes in the first 3 quarters and their first completion with a minute to go in the 3rd quarter. 2 for 9 in the game for 13 yards. I have no doubt Wally Burnham would have shut down that offense, just put 8 in the box. Why would anybody do anything differently against that one dimensional team. Lousy football last night, especially for a bcs game.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
It was shucked by most teams decades ago for good reason. GT need to do the same. That was the most pathetic passing attack I've ever seen, 3 passes in the first 3 quarters and their first completion with a minute to go in the 3rd quarter. 2 for 9 in the game for 13 yards. I have no doubt Wally Burnham would have shut down that offense, just put 8 in the box. Why would anybody do anything differently against that one dimensional team. Lousy football last night, especially for a bcs game.

My thoughts exactly. Nothing against the hawks...especially on D, they are for real. But how in the world did GT make a BCS bowl with that one dimensional offense. Is the ACC THAT bad?

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
While I hate to type it, you are not giving Iowa's defense enough credit. They have a great d-line, and their def. ends can handle run or pass equally well. They are huge guys with speed. Also, Iowa's LB'ers play very smart football. Iowa also had forever to get ready to face GT.

I believe Navy runs the same offense, and they ran an 8 win Big12 team right off the field, as they would many other bowl teams.

It is like the NCAA tournament, it isn't seeding that matters, it is matchups. Iowa was the worst matchup that GT could draw, and it showed.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
it was pathetic. I was surprised they didn't run the ball more than they did. "Run" as in "non-option". Correct me if Im wrong, but I think i saw three plays GT ran in the first half. 1 pass. Triple option Left/Right. HB toss. Why don't they run more traps/dives/counters/reverses/double handoffs ?

It was clear to me that if Iowa loaded the box, they were going to shut GT down. And they did. They had 32 yards in the first half!!

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
I really can't believe in this day and age that there's an AD at a BCS school that said, "Yes! I want an ALL GROUND 'spread style' offense for GT!!! The passing game sucks...all running is where it's at!"

WTF, if we had that **** at ISU, I'd become a Hawk fan. ;P

Last edited by a moderator:

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I really can't believe in this day and age that there's an AD at a BCS school that said, "Yes! I want an ALL GROUND 'spread style' offense for GT!!! The passing game sucks...all running is where it's at!"

WTF, if we had that **** at ISU, I'd become a Hawk fan. ;P

Now just settle down that is crazy talk, Drake maybe but Iowa no way :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
GT was 11-2 and ACC champs. Apparently their offense works pretty well. 2nd in the nation in rush yards.

But, GT sucks in bowl games. Last year LSU beat them 38-3 in the peach bowl. Their uniqueness allows them to catch teams off guard all season long, but with 6 weeks to prepare- they get dominated.

I thought paul johnson could have at least opened up his playbook a little. What a disgraceful performance. Did they even try??? Seriously! If Herman would have ran such a conservative offense in our bowl game i'd really be flipping **** right now.

PJ did not have an even acceptable gameplan last night. I could have called a better game than he.

Reactions: PGreen ISU '92

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Apparently Missouri didn't get the memo? I would also agree that is Iowa's D working there.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
You can see why they did not pass. The qb could not hit the broadside of a barn. He neded bi-focals or something.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
All great points. My question is:

Why do we give a rat's *** what GT does?

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Triple option is not the problem. They still don't have quite the speed yet to run it on the national scene. You tell me if Georgia Tech had Tommy Frasier or Eric Couch running that show last night Georgia Tech would not have had over 300 yards.
The option worked 13 years ago to the tune of 2 national titles. Football has not changed that much in 13 years.
Also what about Navy putting an *** kicking on Missouri. Missouri is not that bad. They beat us. Georgia Tech also lost 2 games and won the ACC this year. It's not the offense folks. That offense is a very good offense. It's the athletes running it.

Just wait until G Tech get's an optoin QB. They will kill people. Also Iowa's front 4 are monsters.

Reactions: joefrog

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
GT was 11-2 and ACC champs. Apparently their offense works pretty well. 2nd in the nation in rush yards.

But, GT sucks in bowl games. Last year LSU beat them 38-3 in the peach bowl. Their uniqueness allows them to catch teams off guard all season long, but with 6 weeks to prepare- they get dominated.

I thought paul johnson could have at least opened up his playbook a little. What a disgraceful performance. Did they even try??? Seriously! If Herman would have ran such a conservative offense in our bowl game i'd really be flipping **** right now.

PJ did not have an even acceptable gameplan last night. I could have called a better game than he.

You hit it right on. Teams today have defences geared towards the spread or pro style pass happy offenses that are now so common in the college game, and that is what they prepare for all year. Changing gears for a week to prep for a team like GT is tough, and it makes them very dangerous in the regular season. However, give a good football team like LSU or Iowa several weeks to prepare for it in a bowl game and they will shut it down.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
Because I wasted 3 hours last night watching the most boring game ever.

Oh..that makes total sense.....

The only time in my life I have ever remotely cared what GT was doing was last night, and that was only because they were playing the Suckeyes.

The game is over now and I will likely never care about that pile of a team again.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Oh..that makes total sense.....

The only time in my life I have ever remotely cared what GT was doing was last night, and that was only because they were playing the Suckeyes.

The game is over now and I will likely never care about that pile of a team again.

Good Im happy for you

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
That's right Al_4_State. Navy passed for 130 yards and a touchdown against Missouri, so they at least kept MU's defense honest. GT did nothing close to that last night (13 passing yards), throwing only once or twice in the first half. Of course watching Tech's qb try to throw I can understand why. Guys like Frazier, Crouch, etc could at least keep defenses honest by passing a little. I know Iowa has a solid defense, but all Parker did was gamble that Tech would run 95% of the time, and they did. Not real tough to stop a team that can't pass, and the defensive coordinators in the ACC must really suck if they couldn't eventually figure that out.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
That's right Al_4_State. Navy passed for 130 yards and a touchdown against Missouri, so they at least kept MU's defense honest. GT did nothing close to that last night (13 passing yards), throwing only once or twice in the first half. Of course watching Tech's qb try to throw I can understand why. Guys like Frazier, Crouch, etc could at least keep defenses honest by passing a little. I know Iowa has a solid defense, but all Parker did was gamble that Tech would run 95% of the time, and they did. Not real tough to stop a team that can't pass, and the defensive coordinators in the ACC must really suck if they couldn't eventually figure that out.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most ACC teams had bad D-lines, too.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Again, nothing against the Iowa D. They are easily top 5. But, if you can't at least be a THREAT to pass you are not going to win against good teams. I think it really tells us the ACC isn't great. I would fully have expected Iowa to dominate even if GT could make a pass once every 10 plays but it would have at least looked like GT was trying. GT looked worse than minnesota.