what happens when...

theyork

Aug 6, 2009
hedgesville, wv
in overtime in college football the

-team 'A' is on offense and fumbles the football
-defensive team 'B' recovers and runs it to the team A's 2 yard line where they are caught and subsequently fumble
-team A recovers the fumbled ball on the two.

do they now have to drive the length of the field for their posession?

similarly what would happen if team B fumbles on the two and it goes out of the back of the endzone of team A. is that still a touchback then or does team A simply lose possession?

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I'm pretty sure they blow the play dead when theres a turnover in overtime, but i could be wrong. And they get a chance to drive from there twenty.

theyork

Aug 6, 2009
hedgesville, wv
nope, remember when we could have beat mizzou but threw a pic in OT and the guy took it back about 50 yards before we tackled him?

oskyclone

Apr 13, 2006
Altoona
I would assume as soon as soon as the second turnover occurs the play would be over and the team that intercepted would get possession at the 25. Just a guess, no clue really.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
I'm pretty sure they blow the play dead when theres a turnover in overtime, but i could be wrong. And they get a chance to drive from there twenty.
No... It's still a live ball.

To the OP, yes, the original team would have to drive the entire field in the other 3 downs.

MBulldog

Dec 19, 2009
Johnston
in overtime in college football the

-team 'A' is on offense and fumbles the football
-defensive team 'B' recovers and runs it to the team A's 2 yard line where they are caught and subsequently fumble
-team A recovers the fumbled ball on the two.

do they now have to drive the length of the field for their posession?

That's my guess. That's probably why college players are taught to just go down if they get a turnover in OT.

similarly what would happen if team B fumbles on the two and it goes out of the back of the endzone of team A. is that still a touchback then or does team A simply lose possession?

I think that would just be the end of B's possession.