Conference bowl records so far

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
MWC: 4-0 (wins over Fresno St., Oregon St, California, Houston)
Sun Belt: 1-0 (win over Southern Miss.)
Big 12: 3-2 (wins over Minnesota, Stanford, Arizona)
Big 10: 3-2 (wins over Miami FL, Oregon, LSU)
SEC: 3-3 (wins over Cincinnati, Northwestern, Texas A&M)
ACC: 3-3 (wins over Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia)
Big East: 2-2 (wins over Central Florida, North Carolina)
WAC: 1-2 (win over Bowling Green)
C-USA: 1-3 (win over Ohio)
Pac 10: 1-4 (win over Boston College)
MAC: 0-3

First, why is the Mountain West not a part of the BCS? Second, what happened to the Pac 10?

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines

First, why is the Mountain West not a part of the BCS? Second, what happened to the Pac 10?

I think UCLA won as well, but I'm not sure.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
oops, not sure how I missed that. still, it isn't looking good for the Pac 10.

Yeah, they kind of fell apart during the bowl games. I'm not one to place a great deal of importance on any one game, but it is weird that a conference that looked pretty decent toward the end of the year flamed out so badly in post-season play.

Interesting note about the Big 10 so far..in the the 3 wins, the Big 10 team has held the ball for an average of 39 minutes. NW put up 625 yards of offense today, and Kafka finished 47-78 for 563 yards passing.

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
Really? The big 10 can still finish with a losing record (for what, the umpteenth time)...and probably will. I'd take it easy there.

When we get into that conference and make an annual event of running the table, the Big 10 won't look so bad in the postseason! We'd have rolled up on that conference this year.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Really? The big 10 can still finish with a losing record (for what, the umpteenth time)...and probably will. I'd take it easy there.

You're right about that...but the media will focus on the wins by Ohio State and Penn State. Fair or not, a lot of the criticism of the Big 10 was based on how bad Ohio State had looked on the national stage in recent years. Their failings were always pointed to as the reason the conference was down. Ohio State is the standard bearer for the conference, just like Texas is for the Big 12.

Regardless of what happens in the Iowa/GT game or the MSU/Tech game, these 3 wins - and especially the OSU Rose Bowl win - will give the conference some legitimacy going into the offseason.

How can you say probably?

Reactions: cyclonedave25

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
You're right about that...but the media will focus on the wins by Ohio State and Penn State. Fair or not, a lot of the criticism of the Big 10 was based on how bad Ohio State had looked on the national stage in recent years. Their failings were always pointed to as the reason the conference was down. Ohio State is the standard bearer for the conference, just like Texas is for the Big 12.

Regardless of what happens in the Iowa/GT game or the MSU/Tech game, these 3 wins - and especially the OSU Rose Bowl win - will give the conference some legitimacy going into the offseason.

How can you say probably?

Well, I'm guessing MSU will be rolling out equipment managers against Tech and well, my guess is that Iowa will lose to GT. I'm not really sure about the Iowa game simply because I don't know GT very well...but like I said.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007

Because they have almost no TV sets, and bring pretty much nothing to the BCS table other than half empty stadiums.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Well, I'm guessing MSU will be rolling out equipment managers against Tech and well, my guess is that Iowa will lose to GT. I'm not really sure about the Iowa game simply because I don't know GT very well...but like I said.

I'm guessing that you haven't picked to the Big 10 to win any of their games so far, so I'll take your prognostications with a big grain of salt.

M3MEPLEASE

Sep 4, 2009
Big 10 and SEC have the most impressive wins so far. Bowl wise, The Big 10 will probably finish second(with or without an Iowa win) to whoever wins the NCG, so either the Big 12 or SEC. Its a shame Northwestern did not win.

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
Looks to me like the Big 10 is having a solid bowl season. 3-0 against top 25 teams, with 1 more top 25 game to go, will earn them some respect back. Like some have said, those are the games the national media will focus on when looking at each conference's success during bowl season.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
As much as I hate to say it, the Big Ten has looked very good so far. They could lose out and I'd still be impressed. Ohio State and Penn State are two of the most storied teams in the Big Ten (Michigan isn't relevant this year) and they both took care of business against teams most people on this board probably predicted them to lose to.

Oklahoma taking care of Stanford and Nebby blanking Arizona definitely helped some people look past Mizzou and A&M getting ****-canned, but people will probably attribute that more to the apparent weakness of the Pac-10 than the strength of the B12. If Texas wins the NCG than the B12 will be looking good, otherwise I see us in the middle of the pack, below th SEC and about even with the Big Ten.