Cy Hawk Series

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
I just checked this out for the heck of it. Currently we are up 12 - 7 with 4 events left to go. Gymnastics, Tennis, Gymnastics and Softball. If we win one of the next four we will clinch the trophy assuming the winner recieves two points for each win. This has been an even series since it's inception, with the following results:

04-05, Iowa 11-8
05-06, I State 13-6
06-07, Iowa 13-8
07-08, I State 18-9
08-09, Iowa 21-4
09-10, I State leads 12-7

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
The team that has home field/court advantage (football, WR, MBB, WBB) has won every year. Would sure love to change that up next year.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Home team takes it. Funny how that works, especially considering how iowa is so much more dominant in sports than ISU. Wait, what?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Home team takes it. Funny how that works, especially considering how iowa is so much more dominant in sports than ISU. Wait, what?

Most Iowa fans do not realize that other sports exist outside of football.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
I just checked this out for the heck of it. Currently we are up 12 - 7 with 4 events left to go. Gymnastics, Tennis, Gymnastics and Softball. If we win one of the next four we will clinch the trophy assuming the winner recieves two points for each win. This has been an even series since it's inception, with the following results:

04-05, Iowa 11-8
05-06, I State 13-6
06-07, Iowa 13-8
07-08, I State 18-9
08-09, Iowa 21-4
09-10, I State leads 12-7
Really, the series needs to be set up better. MBB, FB, Wrestling, and WBB need to be split between the cites instead of all being at one University each year.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Really, the series needs to be set up better. MBB, FB, Wrestling, and WBB need to be split between the cites instead of all being at one University each year.

I guess I never noticed that. That is pretty strange that they would set it up like that.

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
Most fans of just about every team could care less about other sports outside of football and mens basketball.

Could be however cyclone fanatics understand that Womens basketball at ISU is a revenue producer!! This can only be said about maybe 10 programs in the nation. Volleyball has some of the most passionate fans out there and if you were to watch a game you would see that. As my mind is now more effective than my body (thats scary) to do what theses athletes are doing in their sport is amazing. You have to give the athletic dept props for consistantly overachieving similar schools with larger budgets. Overall ISU kicks ***

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Could be however cyclone fanatics understand that Womens basketball at ISU is a revenue producer!! This can only be said about maybe 10 programs in the nation. Volleyball has some of the most passionate fans out there and if you were to watch a game you would see that. As my mind is now more effective than my body (thats scary) to do what theses athletes are doing in their sport is amazing. You have to give the athletic dept props for consistantly overachieving similar schools with larger budgets. Overall ISU kicks ***

There are fanatics at every school and they in no way constitute a majority of the fanbase. Sports like wrestling, hockey, womens bball, etc have a following and for some schools a very strong following, but in no way does that mean a majority of the fanbase really cares.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Could be however cyclone fanatics understand that Womens basketball at ISU is a revenue producer!! This can only be said about maybe 10 programs in the nation.

Both Tennessee and Connecticut finished in the red in 08-09. A couple of years ago there was only ONE school that turned a profit in women's hoops.

WBB may produce revenue, but not nearly enough to offset the expenses.

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
No, women's basketball at ISU is NOT a revenue producer. It loses tons of money every year.

Well - Thats no good I thought I heard a couple years ago that ISU Womens BBall was one of only a handfull of programs that turned a profit. O-Well i'll need to hit the drawing board and see what gives. Either way I guess we lose less that everyone else. Glass half full thats a positive.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Well - Thats no good I thought I heard a couple years ago that ISU Womens BBall was one of only a handfull of programs that turned a profit. O-Well i'll need to hit the drawing board and see what gives. Either way I guess we lose less that everyone else. Glass half full thats a positive.
We also lose less in wrestling than a lot of other schools, but it's a money pit as well.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

Yes, our fan attendance at women's bb, volleyball, and wrestling is still extremely important, to diminish losses as much as possible, especially with our overall budget of $40 mil.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
No, women's BB does not make money. No, it is not as bad as many schools out there, but we also put more into it than most other schools. BF is something like the fourth highest paid coach in the Big 12.

Last edited:

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
No, women's BB does not make money. No, it is not as bad as many schools out there, but we also put more into it than most other schools. BF is something like the forth highest paid coach in the Big 12.

Only fourth highest in our conference is not too bad really. And actually, probably a good investment. I'd be curious to see what our return per dollar is for women's basketball compared to the rest of the conference/country. I'll bet it's pretty competitive.

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
Mr. Bill is the man. He is also dedicated to ISU. How often do you hear his name for other jobs? He might be the most valuable coach on staff at this point. We've determined the WBB Team does not make money however the potential loss would be much greter without him.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
There are fanatics at every school and they in no way constitute a majority of the fanbase. Sports like wrestling, hockey, womens bball, etc have a following and for some schools a very strong following, but in no way does that mean a majority of the fanbase really cares.

I completely agree with you, but I'm one of those fans that really only cares about MBB and Football.