Bret Favre vs the Gophers..guess who wins?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
I continue to be amazed at how little anyone cares about the Insight Bowl here in Minnesota. I'm beginning to think that unless the Gophers would win the Big 10, the press wouldn't cover them. If you think the Hawks dominate the Iowa media, you should look up here.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
To be fair, look at ANY major metro that has professional sports teams. Those team rule the media and the public's attention and it only changes if the college team(s) happen to have an extraordinary year.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
Most major colleges aren't in large Cities, like Minnesota. They don't have to compete with Pro Sports in the exact same market like the Gophers do.

Northwestern is in the same boat and I'm guessing they don't get much coverage Chicago sports writers either.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Most major colleges aren't in large Cities, like Minnesota. They don't have to compete with Pro Sports in the exact same market like the Gophers do.

Northwestern is in the same boat and I'm guessing they don't get much coverage Chicago sports writers either.

Northwestern isn't a very good example. Iowa has more fans in Chicago than Northwestern does.

Miami is a decent example. Big Dolphins town but will support the Canes when they're good.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
They averaged a little over 53 thousand a game so I wouldn't say nobody shows up.

PITTSBURGH OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE - Football

For the population (compared to say Ames/Des Moines) in the area, is that really a very good number? Also, I think this topic has more to do with willingness to travel, more than home game attendance.

Let's face it, we can't really honestly compare ourselves here in central Iowa to the fans sport's dollars that fight for people's attention in those of larger metro's. I'm mean seriously -- look at Minny. They have 3 top tier pro leagues going on right now (NFL, NHL, NBA) that are fighting for fan's attention and dollars. What is our comparison? The Iowa Energy?

Don't go there.

Last edited:

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
To be fair, look at ANY major metro that has professional sports teams. Those team rule the media and the public's attention and it only changes if the college team(s) happen to have an extraordinary year.

Which is why as long as USC is in LA, we'll never see an NFL team there.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
If USC starts losing recruits to Skippy over at UCLA and both teams become mediocre then you will start to hear some serious cries for NFL in LA.

illinoiscyclone

Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
we talked about this in one of my poli sci classes. The NFL is waiting for a city to not cooperate so they can move a team to LA, but they will not move an expansion team there because they will lose LA as a bargaining chip in future negotiations with cities currently possessing teams.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
we talked about this in one of my poli sci classes. The NFL is waiting for a city to not cooperate so they can move a team to LA, but they will not move an expansion team there because they will lose LA as a bargaining chip in future negotiations with cities currently possessing teams.

Move an expansion team? I don't understand. Do you mean start a new expansion team in LA?