Illinois hires away KSU's D-coordinator Vic Koenning

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
The KSU defense was not great last year, but it was way better than the year before. It never helps when an Asst. coach gets hired away. I can only think of one time a coach was doing a lousy job and got hired away to a better job, but I am not going there.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Not a smart move by Vic if the Zooker only has one more year to produce, but I am glad he is gone and glad to see Snyder's kingdom start to fall apart after year one.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
Co defensive coordinator, but it still will not be a plus. Koenning is a good coach in search of a head coaching job. If the defense does well at Illinois and the offense does not, Zook will be out and Koenning will be standing there smiling with arms wide open to an offer.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
If a small market school (KSU, ISU, OSU, BAYOR, ETC) has excellent assistant coaches, they will lose one or two a year. They can only hope to hire another up and coming assistant of equal but unproven quality. They cannot afford to pay the wages to keep them for 10 years like Iowa does. So the mark of a head coach in these schools is the assistant coaches that he is able to bring on board even if for a few seasons. If you do not believe, take a look at Snyder's coaching tree and you will. Call it Hayden Fry's tree if you want but the conclusion will be the same.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Isn't KSU looking to hire the KU DC from Mangino's staff?

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
he got a 2 year deal. Probably better hours working for Zook vs. Snyder also. Probably wont have to share dc duties either.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
If a small market school (KSU, ISU, OSU, BAYOR, ETC) has excellent assistant coaches, they will lose one or two a year. They can only hope to hire another up and coming assistant of equal but unproven quality. They cannot afford to pay the wages to keep them for 10 years like Iowa does. So the mark of a head coach in these schools is the assistant coaches that he is able to bring on board even if for a few seasons. If you do not believe, take a look at Snyder's coaching tree and you will. Call it Hayden Fry's tree if you want but the conclusion will be the same.

I dont think Iowa pays all that great. KF just have hired loyal older coaches that run systems that most HC's dont want to run anymore.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
I would not be surprised if KSU hired Clint Bowen as defensive backfield coach in the near future. Yes, he was the KU offensive coordinator. He and Joe Bob Clements (KSU defensive end coach) became good friends in 2008 while they coached together at KU. Clements has recommended Bowen to Snyder.

Help Support Us

Become a patron