bobby knight

S

st8

"We've gotten into this situation where integrity is really lacking and that's why I'm glad I'm not coaching," he said. "You see we've got a coach at Kentucky who put two schools on probation and he's still coaching. I really don't understand that"

Ex-Hoosiers coach Bob Knight speaks at the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame - ESPN

Personally I love how honest he is. and is he wrong?? Calipari is a dirtbag and the whole world knows it, yet he's making huge money at Kentucky. What's your opinion on Knight (who's now a member of the media) and his take on calipari or the general lack of integrity in college basketball.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Let's just say that I don't think that Bobby did anything that would violate NCAA rules like Calapari (yes, yes - I know his issues at Indiana), and I credit him for not brown-nosing to a major coach.

But he's most definitely NOT a person I would tell my kid "you should look up to a person like this".

S

st8

Let's just say that I don't think that Bobby did anything that would violate NCAA rules like Calapari, and I credit him for not brown-nosing to a major coach.

But he's most definitely NOT a person I would tell my kid "you should look up to a person like this".

would you send your kid to play for bobby knight? I don't think I would think twice about it. Dude is one of the most brilliant basketball minds in our lifetime, and although he has made some unfortunate choices at times any kid that has played for him will tell you that they're better for it. I'd rather my kid model themselves after knight then a dirtball like calipari any day

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
would you send your kid to play for bobby knight? I don't think I would think twice about it. Dude is one of the most brilliant basketball minds in our lifetime, and although he has made some unfortunate choices at times any kid that has played for him will tell you that they're better for it. I'd rather my kid model themselves after knight then a dirtball like calipari any day

Honestly... not so sure I would. Look how Alford turned out. :wink:

If it came down to the two, yes .. Knight without much hesitation. But I think there are plenty of other worthy coaches out there that I'd rather have my kid live 4 or 5 years of their young lives in the shadow of.

S

st8

this brings me to another question. There's really two kinds of coaches in college sports, the brilliant coaching tactician (the bobby knight) or the relentless recruiter (calipari). what category do our coaches fall under? which is better for a program? which would you prefer to have at ISU?

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
I work for a guy that models himself after Bobby Knight. I love it, but it does take a certain kind of person to work for someone like that. You humble yourself pretty damn quick.

And BK is exactly right on Callipari. He is the living and breathing version of Blue Chips.

cyfanhood

Jan 2, 2008
Town of Iowa fans, YUCK!

um, what? Model yourself after Bobby Knight? NEVER. Are you going nutty? I like Calipari. If you think Calipari is a dirtbag, then you think the same about Tim Floyd. Right? :chatterbox:

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I would never voluntarily work for a Bobby Knight type of person. Just because you are good at what you do, it doesn't give you the right to treat other like ****. Knight's additude that he is above all others grows old.
I would hire Calapari over Knight anyday of the week.

Last edited by a moderator:

cyfanhood

Jan 2, 2008
Town of Iowa fans, YUCK!
I would never voluntarily work for a Bobby Knight type of person. Just because you are good at what you do, it doesn't give you the right to treat other like ****. Knight's additude that he is above all others grows old.
I would hire Calapari over Knight anyday of the week.

Me too. I'm not sure what these other people are talking about.

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
Old news; time for threads to be merged.

Oh no!!! The world is coming to an end. There are TWO threads dealing with the same thing within a week. Quicks mods merge these or a few people with have a breakdown. QUICK!!

Honestly, who gives a crap?

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
this brings me to another question. There's really two kinds of coaches in college sports, the brilliant coaching tactician (the bobby knight) or the relentless recruiter (calipari). what category do our coaches fall under? which is better for a program? which would you prefer to have at ISU?

I would think that if anyone here said Calipari, then Cyclone fans would have taken hypocracy to a new level. I am only basing this on what has been said after W. Morgan was fired and how people said they would rather lose with discipline and integrity, than win ugly(Rucker park style) or cheating(whatever scheduling scandal WM was supposed to be tied with).

Last edited:

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I would think that if anyone here said Calipari, then Cyclone fans would have taken hypocracy to a new level. I am only basing this on what has been said after W. Morgan was fired and how people said they would rather lose with discipline and integrity, than win ugly(Rucker park style) or cheating(whatever scheduling scandal WM was supposed to be tied with).
People say that sort of thing but really they/we just want to win, that's the bottom line.

cyfanhood

Jan 2, 2008
Town of Iowa fans, YUCK!
I would think that if anyone here said Calipari, then Cyclone fans would have taken hypocracy to a new level. I am only basing this on what has been said after W. Morgan was fired and how people would rather lose with discipline and integrity, than win ugly(Rucker park style) or cheating(whatever scheduling scandal WM was supposed to be tied with).

I liked Morgan and I like Calipari. Can't stand McD

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I have a lot more respect for Wayne Morgan as a person than either Calipari or Knight (however I have talked to Morgan and not the other two). I agree with Knight that Calipari has shown he will bend or break the rules to have success, but Knight has acted like a spoiled brat too many times, and is somewhat of a phony with his tough guy, never quit talk that hasn't been backed up by his actions.